Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-28-2019
Gardner

Default No air, No Brake lights- That is normal, not a problem.

There have been a couple of recent threads that included brake lights and their operation. If there is no air pressure, the brake light pressure switches will not work.

To clear things up, the brake lights are operated by two pressure switches. The switches are wired in parallel (either one will light the brake lights). They are connected to the treadle valve (foot valve) , one to the upper valve and one to the lower valve which corresponds to the rear and front brake systems. Stepping on the brake pressurizes the systems and activates the switches.

So if you are pre-trip checking the lights, or wiring up the toad, keep this in mind.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-28-2019

Thanks Gardner, happily I have not needed to know this but I'm glad that I do now!
Cape Cod,ma
Old 02-02-2020

Default Break Light Pressure Switch

Hello Gardner,

Found this post by you and wanted to ask you a question regarding the break lights on my 79 FC31.

My brake lights do not work. My tail lights work and my turn signals and flashers work. I deducted through this that I have a brake pressure switch issue. I airbrake system has plenty of air pressure on both gauges.

The bus sat an inside storage factility for more than 15 years prior to purchase. Do you think it is possible that something has deteriorated over time as the bus sat? Could you please give me some suggestions and directions on how to troubleshoot?

Thank You

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
Two Bird Club and Happy About It
1986 Wanderlodge PT 40 “Earl”
1979 FC31 “Ernest”
Looking for a 3rd Bird - a PT35 or PT36
2018 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 02-02-2020
Administrator

look for it driver side front, behind bumper or battery bay
Brake light switch will look like this, if you find it , jumper the two terminals , brake lights should work.

https://truckpartshq.com//midland-se...SABEgJkXvD_BwE
Old 02-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
look for it driver side front, behind bumper or battery bay
Brake light switch will look like this, if you find it , jumper the two terminals , brake lights should work.

https://truckpartshq.com//midland-se...SABEgJkXvD_BwE
No idea if an 03 Lx has anything in common. My brake lights were stuck on. Had a bad relay in the outside junction box under the drivers side window. I got the first one at NAPA. The kid behind the counter had no clue. The old man there walked back and came out with a box of them. I bought a dozen relays off Amazon since most of them are identical so I have some spares.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 02-02-2020
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
Hello Gardner,

Found this post by you and wanted to ask you a question regarding the break lights on my 79 FC31.

My brake lights do not work. My tail lights work and my turn signals and flashers work. I deducted through this that I have a brake pressure switch issue. I airbrake system has plenty of air pressure on both gauges.

The bus sat an inside storage factility for more than 15 years prior to purchase. Do you think it is possible that something has deteriorated over time as the bus sat? Could you please give me some suggestions and directions on how to troubleshoot?

Thank You
Could be a breaker in the lower front panel. Start there checking voltage on the breaker. If it is good check at the pressure switches on the treddle valve. You should be able to see them from below.

Do you have wiring diagrams?
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-04-2020

Thank you Gardner, I appreciate the suggestions. I will start as you suggested.

Yes, I have wiring diagrams in the Owner's manual. Were you referring to those or do you have something else in mind?

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1979 FC31 “Ernest”
2018 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 02-04-2020
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilulissat View Post
Thank you Gardner, I appreciate the suggestions. I will start as you suggested.

Yes, I have wiring diagrams in the Owner's manual. Were you referring to those or do you have something else in mind?
I have seen the same symptoms on another coach, it was the circuit breaker.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-12-2020

Hello Gardner,

Follow up and a semi related question. On Monday I went to my FC to move it to and indoor storage facility. I started it and the air brakes would not pressurize. I only achieved 25 lbs. of pressure. I thought perhaps because of the cold weather that something had stuck in an open position since I last drove it. I waited until today and 50+ degree temps to try again and no luck, still not pressurizing.

Three days earlier I drove the bus without any issues. The system reached 125 lbs of PSI as it has since June of 2019 when I purchased it. The brake lights have not worked since I bought the bus.I do not think these topics are related, but maybe they are.

With the motor running it is hard to find any air leaks and with 25 lbs you don't hear anything when you turn the motor off. Any suggestions on the first 2 or three things to check?

Thank You,

Kevin

Kevin & Christine Coons
Chattanooga, TN
1979 FC31 “Ernest”
2018 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 02-12-2020

Hi Kevin,

Gardner probably has the right answer, but I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

Check the spitter valve on your air dryer. Put your hand over it and see if the air from the compressor is coming out there. If by chance that is happening you might try replacing the governor for the air system. Believe it or not that is often the cause of the air dryer leaking all the air out the spitter.
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/