Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-28-2020
1984Lodge's Avatar
1984Lodge 1984Lodge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Temple Terrace
Posts: 859
Default Big Torque Wrench

So putting the bird back together and getting to put the wheels on. I have always torqued the lugs on my vehicles.. the last time I had the bus wheels off I had purchased a torque wrench to torque the lugs.

Here is what I purchased:
Performance Tool M204 100-600 ft/lbs 3/4" Drive Wrench with LH/RH Thread Torque Capabilities https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX16Z4Q..._LzGOd8PiHuPic

I tried it and could not get it to click at the prescribed torque value. So I ended up doing like the tire guys, just hammering on it with the impact.. it bothered me..

I did some research and found out that a split beam torque wrench would be what I was looking for. That is what most of the high dollar snap-on etc are. I did not want to spend snap on money so I started searching. I preferred to have a made in the USA tool, which this wrench is. It also allows you to leave it on the last setting without having to zero the wrench, since it does not use a spring mechanism. Also this torque wrench disassembled into three sections which makes it nice to transport in a much smaller case.

So the other day I purchased this torque wrench:
Precision Instruments PREC4D600F Wrench (3/4" Dr. Split Beam Torque w/Detachable Head (200-600 Ft/Lbs)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RT8ENE..._s5YdkmvxnkCeS

I just used this torque wrench to do all of my wheels with ease.. I could not believe the difference in force between this and the other torque wrench. I am not a big guy, I am around 165lbs soaking wet.. so I do not have a lot of force I can exert.. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a wrench to torque your lugs.. I did not have to stand on it like I see in some of the bus grease monkey videos.. my documentation recommends inner nut be torqued to 300-400 ft lbs and the outer to 200-300 ft lbs. I will be purchasing some of precision instrument smaller split beam torque wrenches as well now.
__________________

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-28-2020
Dieselbird01's Avatar
Dieselbird01 Dieselbird01 is online now
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Titusville
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
So putting the bird back together and getting to put the wheels on. I have always torqued the lugs on my vehicles.. the last time I had the bus wheels off I had purchased a torque wrench to torque the lugs.

Here is what I purchased:
Performance Tool M204 100-600 ft/lbs 3/4" Drive Wrench with LH/RH Thread Torque Capabilities https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX16Z4Q..._LzGOd8PiHuPic

I tried it and could not get it to click at the prescribed torque value. So I ended up doing like the tire guys, just hammering on it with the impact.. it bothered me..

I did some research and found out that a split beam torque wrench would be what I was looking for. That is what most of the high dollar snap-on etc are. I did not want to spend snap on money so I started searching. I preferred to have a made in the USA tool, which this wrench is. It also allows you to leave it on the last setting without having to zero the wrench, since it does not use a spring mechanism. Also this torque wrench disassembled into three sections which makes it nice to transport in a much smaller case.

So the other day I purchased this torque wrench:
Precision Instruments PREC4D600F Wrench (3/4" Dr. Split Beam Torque w/Detachable Head (200-600 Ft/Lbs)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RT8ENE..._s5YdkmvxnkCeS

I just used this torque wrench to do all of my wheels with ease.. I could not believe the difference in force between this and the other torque wrench. I am not a big guy, I am around 165lbs soaking wet.. so I do not have a lot of force I can exert.. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a wrench to torque your lugs.. I did not have to stand on it like I see in some of the bus grease monkey videos.. my documentation recommends inner nut be torqued to 300-400 ft lbs and the outer to 200-300 ft lbs. I will be purchasing some of precision instrument smaller split beam torque wrenches as well now.
Those torque numbers don't sound right... especially for the outer nuts.
__________________
John Wyatt
Titusville, Florida
1991 40' WLWB-WTB
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-28-2020
1984Lodge's Avatar
1984Lodge 1984Lodge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Temple Terrace
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Those torque numbers don't sound right... especially for the outer nuts.
I thought they seemed low, but they are right there in the Rockwell handbook..
I actually torqued the outer nut to 350.. looks like most are recommending 450 to 500..

http://www.webbwheel.com/pdfs/litera...ochure0409.pdf

Guess I will revisit them with the torque wrench.. I will get a snap shot out of the Rockwell book when I get home.. Seems odd the difference in values.. Do not seem to differentiate between steel and aluminum wheels either..
__________________

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-28-2020
Dieselbird01's Avatar
Dieselbird01 Dieselbird01 is online now
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Titusville
Posts: 4,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
I thought they seemed low, but they are right there in the Rockwell handbook..
I actually torqued the outer nut to 350.. looks like most are recommending 450 to 500..

http://www.webbwheel.com/pdfs/litera...ochure0409.pdf

Guess I will revisit them with the torque wrench.. I will get a snap shot out of the Rockwell book when I get home.. Seems odd the difference in values.. Do not seem to differentiate between steel and aluminum wheels either..
Yes, Webb, Alcoa and Blue Bird all appear to disagree with that Rockwell book... if it says 200 to 300.
__________________
John Wyatt
Titusville, Florida
1991 40' WLWB-WTB
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2020
Don Meyer Don Meyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,197
Default

450 to 500 is correct for our Birds.
When I bought my coach 18 years ago, one of the first accessories I purchased was a 12X torque multiplier. I bought it direct from the manufacturer. They recommended when torquing lug nuts I use a regular 1/2 inch torque wrench set to 45 to 50 lbs. That would give me 450 to 500 at the lug nut. I've done that for 18 years. Never had a problem. Last year I purchased a twin beam 1000 lb torque wrench. It is dead on with the 12X.

Now I use only the big torque wrench simply because it's easier. But I'll still use the 12X to loosen the lugs.
__________________

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2020
Mike Hohnstein's Avatar
Mike Hohnstein Mike Hohnstein is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Milwaukee Metro Area
Posts: 4,604
Default

Gee my Snap On, same specs, only cost a grand 10 years ago, made in 'Merica tho, I think.
__________________
Mike Hohnstein
FMCA 97824
'83FC35rb
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2020
Buffguy Buffguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 29
Default Torque wernches

Ok Guys... I'm going to say this and try not to hurt anybody's feelings. NEVER use your torque wrench to take off any of your nuts, lugs or any nuts.


Look I'm a 40 year Acft Mech and I was taken behind a blast fence as a young airman and had my Behind chewed out for 20 min for doing that!! My Crew Chief would have kick my butt.


It will mess up the torque settings if you don't set it to a higher setting. I have caught to many guy doing just that. I used to have to take all our torque wrenches in for calibration and the boys there told me how many got out of limit because people did that. And dropping them..



And the FAA don't like it either.... Lol.


You think changing a tire on your BB is fun... Try a B52 or a KC 135 and the pilot flat spotted 4 of the 8 tires..... Been there, done change them...
__________________
David Cates
Pensacola Fl.
Looking to buy a Bluebird
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-28-2020
al perna al perna is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ormond fla
Posts: 2,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
450 to 500 is correct for our Birds.
When I bought my coach 18 years ago, one of the first accessories I purchased was a 12X torque multiplier. I bought it direct from the manufacturer. They recommended when torquing lug nuts I use a regular 1/2 inch torque wrench set to 45 to 50 lbs. That would give me 450 to 500 at the lug nut. I've done that for 18 years. Never had a problem. Last year I purchased a twin beam 1000 lb torque wrench. It is dead on with the 12X.

Now I use only the big torque wrench simply because it's easier. But I'll still use the 12X to loosen the lugs.
Don , The only reason it was easier is because I was holding the other end if you remember
__________________
AL & ERIKA

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-28-2020
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Don , The only reason it was easier is because I was holding the other end if you remember
That's ok Al, they always hand me the dummy end too
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-29-2020
Clueless Clueless is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 2,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Don , The only reason it was easier is because I was holding the other end if you remember
Tina and a HiLift Jack stabilize the dumb end for me.
__________________
David Styf
82 FC 33 SB SOLD
89 SP 36 Silver Edition SOLD
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Torque Wrench $500 CaptPegLeg Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds 1 04-19-2019 08:48 AM
torque multiplier versus torque wrench Debugjaws Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions 14 07-05-2017 09:33 PM
Torque Wrench CaptPegLeg Tool Tips 5 02-14-2016 10:57 AM
Lug Nut Torque Wrench waddawanderer Tool Tips 101 11-03-2013 05:40 PM
x-12 torque wrench Juergen General 2 11-28-2009 09:08 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.