Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default turning radius, 43' wide body

Does anyone know the turning circle for the 43' Wide Body?
Let me explain why I need to know. I'm building a new house & bird barn. The barn will be behind the house, & will need a 90-degree turn to get in/out. As the area is heavily wooded I'm going to need to take down some trees to build the driveway. I don't want to take down more trees or clear more ground than I need to, but conversely, I don't want to build the driveway then find I can't get the bus in or out! It's on a slight slope & 200' back from the road, so I have to get it right the first time. Our bus is parked in an RV park (we're living in it) & there's nowhere local I can take it to drive in a circle & measure it, so I was hoping someone knows.

Thanks in advance!
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

According to the 97 owners manual, the curb radius is 35.3 feet, and the wall radius is 40.4 feet. Does not specify if those figures are with the tag lifted, but I would imagine so.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 3 Weeks Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
According to the 97 owners manual, the curb radius is 35.3 feet, and the wall radius is 40.4 feet. Does not specify if those figures are with the tag lifted, but I would imagine so.

For what it’s worth the 97 sales data book has similar numbers but it includes the difference between tag down and tag up:

Curb Radius

39' 3" with tag down
35' 11" with tag up

Lifting the tag decreases the turning radius by 8.9%.
* Curb radius is the minimum radius of turn to the outside edge of the front tire.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks, guys, just the info I needed! Now I can decide which trees will become firewood!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I have a driveway that is 2700 ft. long and it has two 90° turns in it. The driveway is 10' wide except for the turns and is stretches to about 14' at the apex of the turn. No part of my bus ever goes over the edge of the gravel. If that helps you figure anything out. I can take some pics if you need it. I don't have woods to deal with because the woods are about another 10' away. I skirted the outside of the woods and the 5 acre pond, instead of going through it.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 3 Weeks Ago

the 5 acre pond, instead of going through it

Thanks Jim, I can see how you wouldn't want to go through a 5 acre pond! Seriously though, my deal is that I need to go forward into the Bird barn (not a big problem) but then have a T to back the 'Bird up so I can go forward back down to the road, except it won't be an actual T, as the cross piece won't be a right angle to the upright, it'll bend back a bit after the junction as my lot's too skinny to back straight out of the barn till I'm past the junction to the vertical bit. I'm gonna back out then go backwards & right till I can come forwards with left lock & hit the vertical piece of the T to get to the street. Due to terrain I am limited to the angle & length of the modified T cross piece. It really is gonna be "measure twice, cut once", although not in the traditional sense, 'cos if I get it wrong I'm gonna have to re-do the driveway!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
the 5 acre pond, instead of going through it

Thanks Jim, I can see how you wouldn't want to go through a 5 acre pond! Seriously though, my deal is that I need to go forward into the Bird barn (not a big problem) but then have a T to back the 'Bird up so I can go forward back down to the road, except it won't be an actual T, as the cross piece won't be a right angle to the upright, it'll bend back a bit after the junction as my lot's too skinny to back straight out of the barn till I'm past the junction to the vertical bit. I'm gonna back out then go backwards & right till I can come forwards with left lock & hit the vertical piece of the T to get to the street. Due to terrain I am limited to the angle & length of the modified T cross piece. It really is gonna be "measure twice, cut once", although not in the traditional sense, 'cos if I get it wrong I'm gonna have to re-do the driveway!
Ok Mike, I can see you situation is much more complicated than mine. So here is something else for you to think about. Like I said, my drive skirts woods all along the north and east side until I get to the pond and the house. I am busy for nearly a week every year trimming tree limbs back that grow out and drag along the bus if I didn't. It gets to be a PIA at times. I will spend a few days in the spring pruning them back and then again near the end of the growing season. So if your woods is very dense and not much sun gets through you may not have that issue. But being the edge of the woods for me, creates a problem, because trees naturally seek light and that is where it is and why it is a battle for me.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Check this out, may be helpful:
http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdot..._bus_turns.htm

Scroll down and they have some typical paths layered out.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Is there any way you can make a circle to turn the bus around. Backing down a driveaway with trees on both sides is an accident waiting to happen.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Ok here the plan, cut a very narrow path of trees, hang a Kansas Chief banner on the Bird barn and let Jackie drive.