Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2020

Default Fuel Leak from Diesel Tank

I noticed a few drips under the rear of our coach and upon closer inspection found out it was diesel.

So when getting the oil changed the other day, I had the shop see if they could check out the cause of the drip. They said they found the source, but had no idea how to fix it. So, they took this picture attached and sent me on my way. All they said was it was coming from this "box" and that they thought it was on the low-pressure return fuel line.

It's starting to drip worse and I'd like to get it fixed ASAP. Can someone help identify what this is and how to fix it?

Thanks, Alex & Keira
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_130635.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	66247  
Old 02-10-2020

I think Gator girl and Tony hit that with a hammer to fix it !!!

Seriously —— that is an electric fuel pump. Easy to buy at NAPA etc

Easy fix. Don’t let anybody overcharge you for it. You FC guys need to know how those work anyway so here’s your chance to Get your hands dirty and learn. I suspect a fitting is seeping/loose but it could be an old cracked line or possibly the fuel pump body itself.

I’m surprised the oil change place couldn’t give you better information about it. They must not be much of a shop.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift

Last edited by max hendrix; 02-10-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: So / more info
Old 02-10-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
I noticed a few drips under the rear of our coach and upon closer inspection found out it was diesel.

So when getting the oil changed the other day, I had the shop see if they could check out the cause of the drip. They said they found the source, but had no idea how to fix it. So, they took this picture attached and sent me on my way. All they said was it was coming from this "box" and that they thought it was on the low-pressure return fuel line.

It's starting to drip worse and I'd like to get it fixed ASAP. Can someone help identify what this is and how to fix it?

Thanks, Alex & Keira
Don't walk, run away from that shop.. I would not let them work on anything if they do not know what that is.... I would be double checking what they did on the oil change.. As Max said, thats the fuel pump.. looks to me like the line might be leaking. Would probably try snugging the lines, but if that does not work, need to replace those fuel lines.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 02-10-2020

Unfortunately there’s lots of mechanics or so-called mechanics out there that don’t have a clue. I’m hoping to set up a work shop in North Florida at some point in the near future; and although I mainly specialize in marine Cat engines, I’d like to work on some Wanderlodges.

Marcelino Abalos
1979 FC35XV
Dania Beach, Florida
Old 02-10-2020
Administrator

replace the fuel pump,
Napa # 6101033,
Facet # 40109
Old 02-10-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
They must not be much of a shop.

You said it!

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 02-10-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
replace the fuel pump,
Napa # 6101033,
Facet # 40109
From the factory, it doesn't pump until there is oil pressure.
When replacing, wire it up to operate as intended and manually. You'll need it for priming the Cat in the future.

I replaced with a full tank and lost many, many gallons of fuel. Others changed it with no loss of fuel. just make sure you have all tools needed and wear throw away clothes.

Back to wanna be status
Old 02-10-2020

I have a few ground off (smooth) bolts the size of the ID of fuel line handy. Use them to temporally plug the lines while changing the pump. If it is the pump. And I agree, don't go back there. A box???
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 02-11-2020

If it’s never been changed it’s probably a good idea to change it. There are a few threads on the subject just search. I used a vice grip over a rag to clamp off the hose from the tank, Harbor freight sells a few different hose pinch off pliers they are useful, you probably won’t lose any fuel. Wear some nitrile gloves, maybe two pairs. Do what Shawn said run a second wire to the hot on the pump. There is just one wire to the pump it’s grounded to the frame as I recall. It’s a easy job. Or just farm it shouldn’t be more than a hour of labor, so I’m guessing most shops will change 3hrz. Does that sound cynical?
Old 02-11-2020
Tom Blackwell

First, clean up the area with brakekleen or some other solvent so you can see where it is leaking. On our coach, the entire hose between the pump and filter was seeping fuel. The pump suction on ours is copper-check for a cracked flare fitting. To prevent getting doused in fuel, use a shop vac to pull a vacuum on the tank while you disconnect fittings.