Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 02-13-2020

Default Cold Air Coming Thru Dash and Vents

I have a major draft coming thru the dash area, it is coming thru vents on passenger side, grill area at passengers feet, and around the TV mounted into center console, maybe drivers foot area too. I started today with pulling the old tube tv, but that does not show me anything obvious. Looking at front of bus from exterior there is a vent door in front of driver, although closed I would not call it sealed. Initial guess would be it could use a new seal, any suggestions on where to find one?

On exterior, in front of passenger seat there is a grill, no door like on drivers side. I do see switches for driver/passenger "vents" just to right of main instrument console, so guess there is a flapper valve somewhere for the passenger vent. I'm going to take a wag that those vents are controlled by air, which I do not currently have, so how can I access that flapper door? Maybe it needs a new seal too?
Old 02-13-2020

Those little doors are kinda hard to seal up - I bought some very pliable foam that looks like the original from Mcmaster. I can look up the p/n if you want. The other issue with them is that they don't close up tightly as they rely on the return spring in the air cylinder, and I think they get gummy after a while. You should lube up the inside of the cylinders and work them back and forth, that should get them to push harder to seal. When one of those vents are open it's like a hurricane in there, so any small leak does it.
Old 02-13-2020

Looking at front/exterior of bus I see 2 panels, bolts around edges, but hinges on 1 edge, guess if I open up those it will be obvious? Are the pneumatic rams that control those vents rebuidable? I'm a firm believer in "as long as I'm here fix it", so if some o-rings or seals is all that is required I can do that.

If you know what seal material you got, and were happy with, from the Crackmaster, please let me know and I will order some.
Old 02-13-2020

lol , you brought back some memories . Way back when I owned my PT38 we the boys went on a trip in Va for some white water rafting . My buddy took the night shift driving . when we awoke I asked him how he was doing , I noticed it was pretty cold up front . After he requested a Ice pick to stab himself in the eye I noticed the vent door toggle switch was in the open position , hahaha Man the good old days

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 02-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottrouble View Post
Looking at front/exterior of bus I see 2 panels, bolts around edges, but hinges on 1 edge, guess if I open up those it will be obvious? Are the pneumatic rams that control those vents rebuidable? I'm a firm believer in "as long as I'm here fix it", so if some o-rings or seals is all that is required I can do that.

If you know what seal material you got, and were happy with, from the Crackmaster, please let me know and I will order some.
Yup take all those bolts out and swing open, it will be obvious. I'll dig up that part number when I get back tonight, it works great and looks exactly like the original stuff. The 85 is a little different than mine up there, but there's also a lot of wires and "stuff" that can keep the cylinders from moving through their full travel.
Old 02-13-2020

Lap blanket.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-13-2020
Forum owner

the cylinders are not rebuild-able,new ones are available from Clippard.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-13-2020
Forum owner

Once you swing those headlight doors you will see some sealing issues where the door meets the floor.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-13-2020

Yeah that, too. But I don't get too much airflow on the passenger's side. The driver's side is another story.
Old 02-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Once you swing those headlight doors you will see some sealing issues where the door meets the floor.
Is there a recommended fix for that? Or is it just find some weatherstripping to fit the gaps as each bus is different? I'll pop those open tomorrow and see whats going on.

Curious, what was original to the center console? I'm thinking the TV was added, but maybe it had just been updated as it had a DVR and VHS player. No sense in putting a tube TV back in, and its not a good location for a flat screen, so what to do with the hole?