Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-14-2020

Default Perkins start up wiring

I hope this is not too redundant but a searched the archives and did not find reference to this specific problem, I am not great with electrics but here is my issue. The generator started running rough last night and I just got the tray open and it quit. It is full of coolant, the air cleaner is clear and oil is on the mark. Holding the starter switch it starts, but let go the switch and it quits, while the switch is held the fan starts to operate so its making 120V. The fuel solenoid is closing when the switch is let go so I can hold the solenoid open and the engine runs fine, but then it makes no 120 volt power as the fan is not working. I'm a little confounded as this seems to be two problems not one?

I had one spare relay (the large one with a dozen or so wires) and I did change it, as well as one at a time by passed the diodes as that seemed like simple tries but no change, could it be one of the other three relays, or more than one?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2020
Forum owner

I think that inside the control box theres 3 clear relays,2 are 12vdc and one is 120vac.
theres also 3 different control boxes (going from memory) and all three have drawings in the wog archives.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-14-2020

I'm looking I think I will just go buy all new relays, that way I've got spares, but while I was poking around I plugged the bus in to charge the batteries, the remote for the Xantrax showed it charging so I went on with my business, while poking through the control box my knee touched the bus body and I got a **** of a shock, seems the indicator on the control panel showed reverse polarity but how that fed energy into the ground on the bus I don't know, could that be related? bloody **** one problem seems to be turning into four!
Old 02-14-2020
Gardner

During initial start the control box sends 12 volts to the gen to flash the field and start generating voltage. Once generation is started it is independent of the control box and should continue to generate voltage till the engine stops.

The engine has 'low oil pressure ' and 'over temp' sensors that will shut the engine down under either condition. Sometimes they fail and cause stalling/no start issues. Disconnect them and see if it keeps running.

However, since there is no voltage when you hold the stop solenoid open and the engine is running, I would suspect something in the generator. The control box CR relay is picked by the 120 volts, no volts, no pick, no run. Initially the field flash voltage applied to the brushes starts generation, but from then on it is the voltage regulator that controls it. If the regulator is bad you might see the fan kick a little from the flash voltage, but not really run.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-14-2020

There are three relays c relays labelled in the box, C, CR1 and CR2 they all appear to be the same relay, I am headed to the automotice store now to buy a handful.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2020
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbill View Post
There are three relays c relays labelled in the box, C, CR1 and CR2 they all appear to be the same relay, I am headed to the automotice store now to buy a handful.

Thanks
Yes, they are all the same.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-14-2020

My buddies generator has been doing the same thing. I have just not had the time to diagnose the problem.. I found out the last time I had looked it was not making power so I figured that had something to do with it shutting down.. It’s the same, if you hold the run solenoid the engine runs fine.. He likes the Perkins and just had all the fuel system rebuilt before this happened.. I am going to pull it apart and replace the slip rings ,brushes and put a new voltage regulator on it..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 02-14-2020

well the relays are all new and its still doing the same, I am having a series of unrelated issues that has me very worried, including the starter fuse blowing multiple times as I try various things, I never hold the switch on for more than about 15 seconds?

I have gone through all the visible connections and I guess I gave to start looking for shorts or broken wires.
Old 02-14-2020

all relays replaced and no change, I seem to be compounding the issues as I have now blown the start switch fuse several times though I have not be holding the switch on for more than about 15 seconds at a time. I have check all the connections, by passed the diodes and found no change. So I guess I have to trace wires for breaks or frays?

I don't think its the business end of the generator as it seems to make power when the start switch is on usually the generators are either all go or no go?
Old 02-14-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
During initial start the control box sends 12 volts to the gen to flash the field and start generating voltage. Once generation is started it is independent of the control box and should continue to generate voltage till the engine stops.

The engine has 'low oil pressure ' and 'over temp' sensors that will shut the engine down under either condition. Sometimes they fail and cause stalling/no start issues. Disconnect them and see if it keeps running.

However, since there is no voltage when you hold the stop solenoid open and the engine is running, I would suspect something in the generator. The control box CR relay is picked by the 120 volts, no volts, no pick, no run. Initially the field flash voltage applied to the brushes starts generation, but from then on it is the voltage regulator that controls it. If the regulator is bad you might see the fan kick a little from the flash voltage, but not really run.

Ok so I I can now move on to the voltage regulator, I have another issue that has just cropped up that I have no idea if it is related, but I plugged the bud in to charge the batteries and I am getting a reverse polarity light on the control panel and I found out the hard way the bus body is charged, what a shock. I checked my cables they are fine, the issue is after the transfer switch in the stairwell. Could these issues be related?