Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Perhaps using a term like 'bigger shovel' was not the best choice. He was suggesting that solar isn't enough,sometimes, and that a stronger source would be needed, like the generator or shore power.

NoGas, I saw your coach and mods at Q13 during tours and look forward to seeing it again this year.
I will watch the Technomadia info about doing the energy audit.

Putting a cutoff switch between solar, gen, alt. seems like a good idea.

I don't know at this time if the 31's are profile matched to the 4D's. Would be nice to think so as they all came from the same source in Q, at the same time.

I have found that when boondocking, I will turn off the Aux battery switch on the dash and manually disconnect the engine batteries during the night time. I have found that the engine circuit draw will suck down the voltage a lot unless I flick the isolator switch in the battery compartment. No doubt due to poor treatment from the beginning, so they most likely due for replacement.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 1 Week Ago

Cameron,
Do you own a digital volt meter with an inductive ammeter tap?
I could do a high resolution current draw audit with Magnum Arc50 remote with its BMK (current shunt) but if you don’t have that Or similar setup a DVM with inductive tap for measuring current would be very helpful.
This one is an example: Etekcity Auto-Ranging Clamp Meter, Digital Multimeter with Amp,Volt,Ohm,Diode and Resistance Test https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWGZ4XC..._aVHeEb312FAE4 Edited because this example doesn't measure DC Current. JW

For off grid, (which is most of my camping and with sun I c an go indefinitely without generator use), I turn off my inverter too when not using an AC appliance. I find another 3 or 4 DC amps are drawn just from the inverter powering things like the microwave clock and tv (when turned off).
The Magnum remote with current shunt makes it very easy to see what draws what.

With an audit you could determine what draws might make sense to remove, like relays which are used to shutdown a set of DC circuits. I did this too to optimize off grid DC consumption.
Good luck, you received great advice from our resident experts!

Doug
Ex-PT36

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 1 Week Ago at 04:25 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Cameron,
Do you own a digital volt meter with an inductive ammeter tap?
I could do a high resolution current draw audit with Magnum Arc50 remote with its BMK (current shunt) but if you don’t have that Or similar setup a DVM with inductive tap for measuring current would be very helpful.
This one is an example: This one is an example: Etekcity Auto-Ranging Clamp Meter, Digital Multimeter with Amp,Volt,Ohm,Diode and Resistance Test https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWGZ4XC..._aVHeEb312FAE4 Edited because this example doesn't measure DC Current. JW

For off grid, (which is most of my camping and with sun I c an go indefinitely without generator use), I turn off my inverter too when not using an AC appliance. I find another 3 or 4 DC amps are drawn just from the inverter powering things like the microwave clock and tv (when turned off).
The Magnum remote with current shunt makes it very easy to see what draws what.

With an audit you could determine what draws might make sense to remove, like relays which are used to shutdown a set of DC circuits. I did this too to optimize off grid DC consumption.
Good luck, you received great advice from our resident experts!

Doug
Many clamp meters including the example in the link will not inductively measure DC current. Research carefully before you buy one.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.

Last edited by Dieselbird01; 1 Week Ago at 04:25 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Many clamp meters including the example in the link will not inductively measure DC current. Research carefully before you buy one.
I was just going to post that. There is a version of that meter there that does do DC on the clamp as well, I have one and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSMDMYV/
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I was just going to post that. There is a version of that meter there that does do DC on the clamp as well, I have one and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSMDMYV/
Fellas,
DOH!!
Thanks for doing QA on my suggestion. I’m sort of stunned that it doesn’t do inductive current pickup given the big old alligator snout clamp on it but I am confident you are right.
I have a plug in clamp ammeter module for my fluke DVM which works great but isn’t then all in one.
Edit: surprised to learn that clamp is just for AC current not DC also. Live and learn.
The prior suggestion stands for isolating and quantifying DC loads of course.

Doug
Ex-PT36