Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 3 Days Ago
Goat rails in the sunset

I have not kept up with antifreeze tech enology since converting my coach to lifetime coolant. But several years ago we got into an OAT discussion and it came out (from somewhere, who knows?) that When you flush a cooling system containing unknown coolant in preparation for new coolant, there is one way to avoid the risk of coolant residues clashing and that is a 2-step flush using two different cleaners of different pH. We talked it and OAT chemistry a lot, a few years ago on WOG after learning about "silicate goo" that forms when green glycol coolant mixes with the wrong kind of coolant or is flushed with the wrong pH cleaner. I can't recall the name of the two-cleaner product. (EDIT: this is it, but it wasn't a John Deere product then: https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-PMCC2610.html), it is in the archive somewhere. I used it when I converted my unknown green coolant to red lifetime Final Charge. The 2-stage cooling system cleansing was a big hassle because it is supposed to be treated as hazardous waste. I think my CAT capacity is 24 gallons? I schlepped LOTS of 5-gallon bucketfuls to the waste place so as not not run it into Puget Sound.

If you want to purge your cooling system, ask around for the product that contains one acidic and one basic cleaning step. It takes both, and in the prescribed order, to get residue, especially silicates, out.
Portsmouth, Va

Last edited by nbedinger; 3 Days Ago at 11:24 PM.