Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 4 Days Ago

Default Crauisair - add R22

I need to add some R22 to my cruisairs. They have the sight glass. Do I just use it to gauge how much I need to put in. I rebuilt the AC's in cars and trucks in past and feel confident I can accomplish this, but wanted to ask before doing something ignorant and mess things up good....

I have to replace a failed compressor soon. Its on the way but I'll have someone do that. For now though I'd like the other two working at full capacity.
Old 4 Days Ago

I added till sight glass was clear.. they blow really cold now.. they should be txv expansion valves so the exact charge is not really that important the valve automatically meters the right amount of refrigerant as long as the sight glass is running clear. AC techs will probably not be happy with that, they will want to adjust to the superheat. If you are worried about your units you should have an AC tech check them. You could potentially damage the units if you do not charge them properly.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 3 Days Ago
Black Sheep Division

You're good charging that model until the sight glass is clear (without bubbles). That unit has a TXV & an accumulator. If the superheat isn't right, You need to adjust the TXV, not the charge. I am a (retired) licensed transport refrigeration tech, not that it matters...

TOM
Old 3 Days Ago

I have always charged by putting a thermometer in the inlet grate and outlet air grate. I slowly added freon until I got to 20 degree differential in air temp and stopped there. Not sure if this is the preferred method but it has always worked for me on my boat Cruisair units.

Sky Cheney
1998 43' LXi #F119728
Lansing, Michigan
Old 3 Days Ago

I used the site glass and filled till no bubbles on the one I knew was low. Was easy enough. Nice and cold now!

I then moved on to check the second one. One of the video's I watched online while preparing for this mentioned checking the high pressure line for temp. If hot, don't fill. It was hot. Looked around and noticed my fan wasn't turning. Gave it a little nudge and it started but never picked up much speed. Now I have a good idea why that one never seemed to work as well as the others... I'm halfway through pulling it out. I "think" I can get it out without dropping the unit. I'll know for sure next time I get back in there.

Anyone happen to know the part number?? I don' t know that I'll be able to pull anything off of it for reference. Its pretty nasty!
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaidy View Post
I used the site glass and filled till no bubbles on the one I knew was low. Was easy enough. Nice and cold now!

I then moved on to check the second one. One of the video's I watched online while preparing for this mentioned checking the high pressure line for temp. If hot, don't fill. It was hot. Looked around and noticed my fan wasn't turning. Gave it a little nudge and it started but never picked up much speed. Now I have a good idea why that one never seemed to work as well as the others... I'm halfway through pulling it out. I "think" I can get it out without dropping the unit. I'll know for sure next time I get back in there.

Anyone happen to know the part number?? I don' t know that I'll be able to pull anything off of it for reference. Its pretty nasty!
Before you pull the motor, have you checked the start and run capacitors as well as the potential relay? The control box is in a bad place to work but doable. There should be a schematic on the inside of the cover. Standard components in there.
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaidy View Post

Check with Graingers about the condenser motor,I have replaced two of mine. We are out of the country in Dublin Ireland so I have no numbers but I feel certain someone has posted the numbers. Good luck.
2003 Jeep Rubicon
Old 3 Days Ago

Here are the photos I have of my fans, the brackets are in the way and not very easy to see. I was going to try to get a couple motors as spares. My fans are getting a little noisy. Also the other pictures are the capacitors. I ordered spares of the capacitors and keep them. They are often what goes out, and not always easy to get especially on a weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	768CD743-AB94-42E4-BF7D-F2595C903243.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	61352   Click image for larger version

Name:	0F43D702-ED66-47F1-ABC6-37489564757D.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	61353   Click image for larger version

Name:	0F303A53-0FF9-4B3D-B028-8364876B32DF.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	61354   Click image for larger version

Name:	24425E12-9AD2-4AB4-AED0-C46C6CAF76C6.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	61355  

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740

http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 3 Days Ago

Thanks all! Going to get one or maybe two of these on order. I have to drop the rear unit to have the compressor replaces so I might as well swap out the rest of these parts while out.