Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 7 Hours Ago
thumbqdm@gmail.com

Default Valve Cover Leak?

I'm a new M380 owner and was very concerned about the head gasket issues when I inspected the coach prior to purchase. After reading all of the WOG tips and advice, I crawled into the engine bay with mirrors and a camera. I saw no head gasket (HG) protrusion, but I did see some oil residue that was coming from above the HG. There wasn't any significant drippings on the ground under the coach, telling me this wasn't a significant leakage. My conclusion was likely a valve cover gasket and not enough to scare me from a coach with just under 30,000-miles. I also had a local shop come to the coach and connect to the ECM to run diagnostics. Again, nothing observed to set off alarm bells. Next week I pick the coach up in Seattle and make a slow 7-day ride to Michigan. Once home I'll carefully clean/degrease the area for better optics, then change the valve cover gasket as needed. Based on the attached photo, would my fellow ISL owners agree with my thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG2130.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	61415  
Old 7 Hours Ago

I would have the oil and coolant analyzed, if they’re in normal, keep on truckin’.. I have my fluids analyzed at least every year, cheap insurance.
OH, congrats on your 380, have fun!
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 6 Hours Ago

Paul, the advice Lance gave you is good advice. If you really want to know where the leak is coming from, clean any caked on oil and run some fluorescing dye in the oil and see where it leaks from.

Enjoy your new bus!
Old 6 Hours Ago

I have Cummins periodically steam clean my engine for better optics. Congratulations on your new Bird. To my experience you bought the best there is. They are not trouble free, but looking back over the many years I've owned mine most of the problems I had could be traced to my own lack of knowledge about them which is why this group is so valuable. I often tell people that every time I take my coach out I learn something new about it which just amazes me since I've had it for over 11 years. Feel free to ask away. Best of luck. Dennis
Old 5 Hours Ago

Paul - since you’ve read the prior threads on this, nothing to add. Lance has become our expert on this subject. With < 30K, your coach sat a lot. Not being used expect dicey hoses, belts and anything else that can dry out. My geny had < 200 hrs on it when I got the coach 5 years ago. No oil/coolant changes EVER! Sorting that out that took time, money and some frustration. But now runs like a Swiss watch. Sounds like you’ve got a good plan. Your maiden voyage is like a first date - go slow, get to know each other, be nice to her and she’ll treat you right. Welcome to the club, take pics and enjoy the ride
Old 5 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmedic View Post
Paul, the advice Lance gave you is good advice. If you really want to know where the leak is coming from, clean any caked on oil and run some fluorescing dye in the oil and see where it leaks from.

Enjoy your new bus!
One more Boise Bluebird here!

Patrick Crow
Boise Idaho
1985 FC35SB
Old 5 Hours Ago
thumbqdm@gmail.com

I appreciate all the advice and kind words. I’ll see if my pre-trip oil change visually looks okay. I’ve got a good shop close to home and will consult with them on chemical analysis of fluids. I’ll post updates next week starting about Friday. The good thing about trip timing is cool temps! Yay!
Old 4 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise_Wannabee View Post
One more Boise Bluebird here!
Nice to meet you!