Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 2 Days Ago

Default Starting Circuit Question- 86 8v

Reference https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...%20Circuit.pdf

Is there a reason solenoid relay C could not be removed entirely, connecting the oil pressure switch instead to the grounded side of D's control (and the neutral switch input providing the hot side of the control)?

Planning on cleaning this area soon, and can't understand why there are two relays before the starter relay.
Old 2 Days Ago

The only reason I could come up with would be the coil amp draw, but if they are the same kind of coil that would indicate that's not the reason. Other than that I can not come up with a reason why they used the two relays.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 2 Days Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

For what it’s worth, here’s a related thread from 2016:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=24706
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001

Old 2 Days Ago

Ok, it looks like standard Bluebird overcomplication. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, and using your amazing search ability.
Old 2 Days Ago

I've considered just tossing the 3psi switch altogether because when it's cold and I need to crank the engine a bit more than usual it will disable the starter.
Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I've considered just tossing the 3psi switch altogether because when it's cold and I need to crank the engine a bit more than usual it will disable the starter.
Hmm yea I was wondering about that.. Maybe just a bypass switch when you want to crank it longer.. So you do not accidentally crank it when its running.. just a though.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 2 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
Hmm yea I was wondering about that.. Maybe just a bypass switch when you want to crank it longer.. So you do not accidentally crank it when its running.. just a though.
There should just be a timer on it if you ask me. Set the timer to 60 seconds or something.
Old 2 Days Ago

I believe that Relay "C" is being used as a safety feature. It will not allow the starter to operate if the oil pressure is above 3psi opening the oil pressure switch. This relay "C" when it is open or not energized will not allow the starter to operate. Old school anti start to keep from burning up the starter when the engine is already running or has oil pressure that is above 3 PSI. It will also give you a delay to allow the starter time to stop spinning if the engine did not stay running when starting in the cold.. The oil pressure switch is a normally closed switch that energizes the "C" relay when power is applied to the start circuit. The "C" relay is energized it then makes the ground path back to "D" relay that is also energized at the same time (also gets its power from the same start circuit) and allowing the +12 power (hot) to flow from the starter positive cable through "D" relay to the starter solenoid positive terminal to engage the starter drive solenoid.

I am not sure if you can build any more that 3 psi at just cranking speed to open the oil pressure switch. I have never checked it.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alever View Post
I believe that Relay "C" is being used as a safety feature. It will not allow the starter to operate if the oil pressure is above 3psi opening the oil pressure switch. This relay "C" when it is open or not energized will not allow the starter to operate. Old school anti start to keep from burning up the starter when the engine is already running or has oil pressure that is above 3 PSI. It will also give you a delay to allow the starter time to stop spinning if the engine did not stay running when starting in the cold.. The oil pressure switch is a normally closed switch that energizes the "C" relay when power is applied to the start circuit. The "C" relay is energized it then makes the ground path back to "D" relay that is also energized at the same time (also gets its power from the same start circuit) and allowing the +12 power (hot) to flow from the starter positive cable through "D" relay to the starter solenoid positive terminal to engage the starter drive solenoid.

I am not sure if you can build any more that 3 psi at just cranking speed to open the oil pressure switch. I have never checked it.
I can make 60psi by cranking for about 15 seconds. And that's measured on a mechanical gauge screwed into the block. If it's cold out and I have to crank for 5-10 seconds it will cut off the starter because of the oil pressure.