Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 11-21-2018

Default Ford Escapes

I've been looking around for a toad for quite a while now. My son sells Fords and they have a 2010 Escape LTD on the lot. It says it is towable four down but there doesn't seem to be a lot being used as a towed. Any opinions or comments? I've also been looking at CRVs and Land Rovers. Most Jeeps are not possible due to a rougher ride not good for the back, but maybe a Cherokee or Grande Cherokee but up here they are ridiculously expensive. Not really interested in towing a full-sized truck. Anyway, feed back about the Escape, please.
Old 11-22-2018

No idea about the Escape; we started with a 2003 Pilot as a toad and recently swapped it for a 2014 CR-V. Both towed well but with a maximum speed limit of 65 mph (MFR).
The attachment point for the towbar on the Pilot was a little high and required a step adapter for the hitch on the bus; the CR-V hooks up straight.
If you're considering the CR-V remember that 2014 is the last year that can be flat towed (they changed the transmission for 2015).

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 11-22-2018

I have a 2013 Flex AWD and it towable with no fuses removed. Just hook up and go. Ford says don't exceed 65, but after talking to several owners that tow Fords of that era, no problem. I don't think you will have a problem, but just for safety's sake look it up for that specific model, or check an owners manual.
Old 11-22-2018

Was it the Escape that was advertised as towable, many bought them as toads, and then Ford said Oops they really aren't towable and we won't cover damage or give you a refund. I think at that point many stopped towing them even the ones they bought to tow.

Seems I recall this was the escape, but I've slept since then so I may be once again remembering things that never happened.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 11-22-2018

David, you might be talking about the newer ones with the 8 speed tranys. I also, remember something, but it didn't pertain to my model, so I guess it didn't stick in the brain, or I was asleep at the time.
Old 11-22-2018

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm pretty sure that the Escape I'm looking at can be towed four-down, the manual agrees. It's just that another owner questioned whether they can or not, because he said you don't see many behind motorhomes. And there are tons of them on the road. Maybe too heavy? And I did not know that CRV's past 2014 can't be towed. Plus I have met a little old lady who said she might sell her CRV. It's a unicorn: single owner, always to the dealer, higher milage but who cares, it's a little old lady driving in town for 15 years. Fingers crossed. Or her sister who has an '09.

Oh yeah, I would love an older Land Rover but heard from a friend of a LR mechanic, don't do it.

We will see what happens. Departure date so far is Dec 27. Want to be prepared.
Old 11-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytoes View Post
I've been looking around for a toad for quite a while now. My son sells Fords and they have a 2010 Escape LTD on the lot. It says it is towable four down but there doesn't seem to be a lot being used as a towed. Any opinions or comments? I've also been looking at CRVs and Land Rovers. Most Jeeps are not possible due to a rougher ride not good for the back, but maybe a Cherokee or Grande Cherokee but up here they are ridiculously expensive. Not really interested in towing a full-sized truck. Anyway, feed back about the Escape, please.
Maybe even 2010’s being flat towed went thru several transmissions. Didn’t realize this discussion was so many years ago. Read one of many blogs here

https://community.fmca.com/topic/411...onger-towable/

Looks like this affected several year models before Ford decided they goofed.

Seems I thought about one around then. The Escape tranny issue steered me to a CRV.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 11-23-2018

My girlfriends kids both have them, not sure i would be in a big rush to buy one
Cape Cod,ma
Old 11-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
My girlfriends kids both have them, not sure i would be in a big rush to buy one
BUT......it's Black Friday, and all the sales are on
Old 11-23-2018

I read the link and all of your comments and I think that Ford Escapes and Edges are off the table now. Back to over priced Jeeps and CRV's that no-one wants to part with because they are so happy with them.