Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 01-25-2011

Default gen fan motor

Hello all,

Well here we are at Q and wouldn't you know it, the generator fan motor quits. Just when we need it most while dry camping. We ran the bus engine at high idle for about an hour tonight to charge the batteries up. But we're gonna have to get a new fan motor. I went on line and the closest motor shop is in Blythe CA. It's only about a half hour away. I believe all electric motor go buy the frame number and HP rating. Does anyone know the frame number of other reference number for the 220 volt fan motor. On the 86 PT the radiator is mounted vertical with the motor behind the radiator with a conventional fan blade on it. It is NOT the horizontal radiator setup with a squire cage setup used on later units. Any help with these number would be GREATLY appreciated.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler

Last edited by Don Meyer; 01-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2011
Forum Moderator

Don did you test to see if it was the capacitor? Turn on generator and using a stick (not fingers) spin the squirrel fan. If it spools up and runs then it is a bad capacitor. I have an extra and know where to get them in Quartzsite.
Old 01-26-2011

Have you considered Shane's 12v fan modification?

"I replaced the loud, 220V fan with a 12V Hayden 2-speed cooling fan for $99 and used the 220V line for the old fan to power a "buddy plug" on the coach chassis. The fan comes on immediately with the use of a Bosch relay and goes into high-speed mode with the use of another Bosch relay and a snap-disk thermostat that sits on the radiator. So far, so good. The engine only gets hot when I'm parked, have all 3 cruise-airs on, and the temps outside exceed 90 degrees."

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...06&postcount=6
Old 01-26-2011

Default fan motor

Hey thanks guys,

Yes it is the start capacitor. If I start the gen, use a screw driver to reach thru the fan gaurd and spin the blade, it runs fine. Also, when the whole unit is cold, the fan usually comes on ok. I just started it a few minutes ago after sitting all day, and the fan motor came on OK. So I'm sure it the start cap. Just a bitchy job to get to it and replace it. Remember this is a side radiator, NOT the down flow type with a squirl cage type fan. So I have to drain the coolant, remove the rad hoses, take off the outside slats, unbolt the top of the radiator and tilt it out. The motor is then easy to change. (or just the capacitor).

And YES, I am considering going the Shane route. I am however, concerned that out extended time here in the Southwest will bring us into the hot weather and possibly NOT be able to cool the gen with 2 or 3 roof AC's on. I will probably do the 12 volt route right now as a stop gap measure. and then repair the 240 volt motor later. Unless, that is, I feel really ambitious and dig into now. See how I feel when I get a few other "to do's" completed.

Thanks again guys.

Does anyone happen to know the ferrel (spelling?) spec on the start cap. There is a local motor shop that has some, but needs the spec.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 01-26-2011

Don
Go find Rick Archie.................
FORT R
I think he has 2 good used ones
I am at home now and will return to Q thursday night,I have new capacitors here,but could bring to Q thurs night if you need them.
phone 9282311132
Old 05-08-2011

Default 12.5 Kohler with side radiator and cooling fan

Don, do you have the schematic on this generator? Isn't there some where on this Forum where you can get it? I am having the same problem with the capacitors.

Thanks
Port St Lucie, Fl.
Old 05-10-2011

I have the kohler-Yanmar generator. The manual can be found here:

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...NMAR%20MANUAL/

Glenn