Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-10-2018

Default Air conditioners

It is my understanding that the previous owner of my coach changed all three a/c units out with 15,000btu units with heat pumps. They are still controlled by the original five button thermostat.

We purchased the coach in late February, and have been on an extended trip since late April. I have noticed that the front unit doesn’t seem to discharge air nearly as cold as the middle and rear units do.i have check discharge temps with my infrared gun, and the front can be 20-30 degrees warmer. I know that they are limited in how much they can cool the air from ambient, but there doesn’t appear to be that much difference in areas of the coach. I believe that things are being exacerbated some by not being able to use our slides due to a ruptured hydraulic line (no jacks, no slides).

I’m looking for some guidance on where the air returns are, as well as the thermisters (or whatever is used to measure the temps). I don’t have the fancy mirrored ceiling that most LXi’s have, but there are panels (18”x19”) and plastic floor type registers over the a/c outlets. The registers can be closed to divert air to the edges of the ceiling panels, but there isn’t a great deal of air flow if I use the diversion. Hence I usually leave the registers open.
VerleyBird
Old 06-11-2018

I don’t have diagrams, but 2 ideas to check:

On my SOB, the freeze sensor came loose from the evaporator resulting in it freezing solid with no air flow, cold or otherwise, even though it ran continuously.

On my LXI rear AC, there was only chewed up tape separating the return air from the cold air, so it just kept cooling cold air and not blowing much. I had to fabricate a ‘nozzle’ to segregate the cold air from the return.

Either situation can be seen after removing the large plastic grille directly below the unit.
Hope that helps some!
2018 Subaru Crosstrek toad
Old 06-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjanecke View Post
I don’t have diagrams, but 2 ideas to check:

On my SOB, the freeze sensor came loose from the evaporator resulting in it freezing solid with no air flow, cold or otherwise, even though it ran continuously.

On my LXI rear AC, there was only chewed up tape separating the return air from the cold air, so it just kept cooling cold air and not blowing much. I had to fabricate a ‘nozzle’ to segregate the cold air from the return.

Either situation can be seen after removing the large plastic grille directly below the unit.
Hope that helps some!
Thanks Peter,

I’m getting full air flow, just not as cold as the other units. Once it comes on, it runs all day until well after the others are off.

I only have a smaller plastic grille (4x10), but there is a larger panel (matches ceiling material) which I presume is what I need to remove to get to things.

My presumption is that the return air comes from the side of the ceiling “package”, but maybe I can better see it when I remove the cover. It definitely doesn’t return through the plastic grille.

On my previous coaches there was a thermister located somewhere in the zone to read temperature and control off/on. Is there something similar, and if so, where are they for the zones?
VerleyBird
Old 06-11-2018

Pulled the cover off the front a/c and found the “return filters”. If this is how it came from the factory, it’s a pretty weak design. I’ll be doing some tweaking on filters, and cleaning up the ducting some when we get back home.

The a/c is on, and I checked the discharge temp again. Much colder! I’m now guessing that the problem is related to the slide not working, and heat build up over it being pulled in as return air. I know that the unit can only cool so many degrees lower than ambient. BUT, I don’t understand why it would not impact the middle unit as well. It pulls air from over the slide as well. Since afternoon sun is beating on that side of the coach, there is a lot of heat.
VerleyBird
Old 11-02-2018

As a follow-up to this thread, I want to say that Coachcraft checked this a/c for me at WOG. Turns out that the unit is out of coolant, even though it’s only two years old. Will be replacing it soon.
VerleyBird
Old 11-02-2018

How did they determine it was out of freon?

Did they tap the suction line and attach a pressure gauge?
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 11-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhodes View Post
How did they determine it was out of freon?

Did they tap the suction line and attach a pressure gauge?
They did several tests, and ultimately determined that while the compressor was running, it was not cooling. If I remember correctly, it was not getting to the voltage it should. It’s out of my pay grade. All I know is that while the warranty has expired, Dometic has agreed to cover it. Must have some validity.

As far as I know, no they did not.
VerleyBird
Old 11-02-2018
Black Sheep Division

Hopefully, you got them to fix the hydraulic line also. Jacks and slides will open up a whole 'nother world.

TOM
Old 11-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
Hopefully, you got them to fix the hydraulic line also. Jacks and slides will open up a whole 'nother world.

TOM
Hydraulic line has been fixed. Jacks are working fine. Slides still an issue, but have an appointment after thanksgiving to get them taken care of.
VerleyBird