Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-06-2018

I think in the 6 years of LXI ownership with a little over 150k or so miles I think I have experienced most road conditions and the effects of bad roads and some delayed maintenance .

All I can say is

Good Road Good Ride
Bad Road Bad Ride .

try as you may it is still a 18 or better year old Truck , and she will ride like one . Prevost has a better ride for 2 main reasons
Outer mounted air springs and longer wheel base . But hey , we have the best bang for the buck , and I can handle slowing up and enjoying the ride , whats so wrong with that ?

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 11-07-2018
Forum owner

Once i get the place put back in shape i may write up all of the things i did.
Some of it may be magic,most of it you will never do.
But,if you do what i did your coach will not lean inthe turns,it will not porpoise and like woody always said "your *** will laugh" when your driving the coach!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-07-2018

Default Roadking Shocks

Randy,

Per our recent conversation, ( if my memory serves me correctly ) I'm most interested to understand how you were able to squeeze another set of shocks onto the drive axle, and why you replaced the FSD shocks on the drive axle with the red adjustable Koni shocks. I would have thought they would make the drive axle ride too firm.

Is it possible, since you also installed larger air springs ( with a bit more possible travel ), you were able to select shocks that also provided a bit more travel on each axle, and then played with the firmness to get the ride youve found optimal??

Old 11-07-2018

I think something to keep in mind here is that moving the shocks outboard will keep the control of bump the same, but significantly increase the resistance to sway or roll in corners. Never could understand why shocks would be installed inboard, except that it is easier to fit them into the space. I also think it would almost be impossible to put too much shock on a 23,000 pound axle. In addition, the Koni adjustable that are on the bird are only adjustable in rebound the compression is usually not that firm. Just one guys opinion
Old 11-07-2018
Forum owner

I agree with Jim on all accounts.

The FSD shocks are terrible,you may as well save your money and just take the shocks off and scrap them.
I can push them in and out with one hand,as a matter of fact,i extended them all the way and stood them on end and they fell into the compressed position.
Maybe mine were bad from new?
They caused me plenty of grief,thinking i had the shock problem fixed when all they did was make the problem worse.

Just say no to FSD shocks.
Or not,do whatever you think...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-08-2018

Default Roadking Shocks

Randy,

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to check my drive axle’s FSD shocks. I haven’t examined them. Mine came with the coach. Since they wern’t leaking I assumed they were working. ( Yes, assuming make an *** out of me ).

Old 11-08-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsro View Post
Randy,

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to check my drive axle’s FSD shocks. I haven’t examined them. Mine came with the coach. Since they wern’t leaking I assumed they were working. ( Yes, assuming make an *** out of me ).

I have to admit i bought the FSD's because Koni convinced me too,and i chased bad driveability for 4 years before i took them off.
The new Koni adjustables made such an improvement that i added another set on the drive axle,both sets set to firm.
It made an amazing improvement.

Of course i'm a chassis guy,i have to know...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com