Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-25-2018

Default Reading Lights over the Bed

On our LXi and probably many other models, there are two eye-ball spots, presumably for reading lights in bed. However, spotlights in your eyes a foot away are not everyone's fancy. So what to do? Make night lights out of them for those rare occasions when you'd like a small light on for some reason.

You can get a plug-in night light for a buck or two, but what's the challenge in that? That doesn't get rid of those two useless and misapplied lights. If you want a challenge and have lots of time, here's a way to make something useful out of those two eye-blinders. But be forewarned, it takes more time than you'd think. You have to be bored to want to get into this one.

Here are four pictures showing:
1. The original
2. The finished product
3. The parts
4. The assembly ready for installation

The white lens is the top of a Costco gallon milk jug, trimmed to fit, with two tabs, bent over and secured with a tie-wrap. There is a loop of cord around the neck to space it uniformly.

The brown cover is thin aluminum flashing, hole for LED, with four tabs cut and that are stuck to the fixture with 3M strong double-sided tape.

Another benefit is no further bumping the spot and popping it into its fixture. Just had to do something with that thing. Also, when it is installed, you can remove the bottle cap to apply some tape or paint inside to dim it further if you want.

On the other hand, some would rather keep it simple with a resister on the bulb supply to dim it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	59665   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	59666   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	59667   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010011.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	59668  
Old 12-25-2018
Forum owner

Pretty clever Ron,well done!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-26-2018

Thank you, Randy. It's one of those projects that never really needs to be done, but stuck in Florida without my shop, well, gotta do the small stuff to keep from going bonkers. I thought about it for a couple of years, but couldn't come up with anything that would look good, be functional, and didn't need cabinet modification. Finally did. In retirement, creative flashes come at the speed of a heard of racing turtles....

It turns out it is enough light for night, and Dorinda, who was skeptical at first, loves it. Happy wife, happy hubby.
Old 12-26-2018

Looks good Ron. Are those Thin-Lites also pictured? They look way different than mine. I like yours better and while I am replacing everything else I may want to replace those too.

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Old 12-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
Looks good Ron. Are those Thin-Lites also pictured? They look way different than mine. I like yours better and while I am replacing everything else I may want to replace those too.

Dave,

Search for a thread "Bedroom Reading Lights" back in 2014. That shows a way to replace the Thin-Lites. They are basically a pocket with LED strips in the back like a projector so the light hits the book and not your eyes. You don't see the LED's from normal viewing angles. It has worked very well. Made them out of some Formica and 1/4" plywood.