Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-01-2015

Default WATER BAY REDO

Hello Wog,

for the past 3 years I have had a issue with frozen water lines in my waste bay . I know the best way to remedy would be to not go North in the winter , however I do not have this option . so I want to come up with a way to better protect the bay in extreme cold weather . Here is the problem .

In the bay for the LXI you only have a thin piece of metal on a slide to shut off the bay to the outside elements . My tab on the door is broken off.
The heater is located high on the bays ceiling , and as we know heat rises so very little if any makes its way down .
The waste PVC pipe sits on the bays floor and is subject to exposer also .
There is very little if any insulation to protect the bay from outside air .

Please share any ideas of you have or plan to upgrade this area of your coach . I put this under LXI cause I am not sure if this is a common issue with all other BB coaches .

PS,
The reason you have not heard from me as late is due more to my recent movements and not a perfectly running coach you see Erika & I have found a way to stay put in the winter , we bought a lot at OUTDOOR RESORTS INDIO lol

If any one is interested in this place Sept thru Dec let me know cause we wont be here but would love to share it with brother wog members if interested

Look forward to your Ideas on the Water bay Upgrage .

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 04-01-2015

Can you wrap the pipes with some sort of insulating material for starters?
VB 1570
Old 04-01-2015

Hello Marcus,

I am sure I could , what I have done is place a heater in the bay . I just want to redo this area and be done with the heater . This has bugged me for the past 3 years and now that my driving time has been reduced I want to make some needed improvements . Thanks for the idea

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 04-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
Can you wrap the pipes with some sort of insulating material for starters?
Insulation wouldn't help would it unless you get some heat to it? Heat tape on plastic might not be the best idea but if you could insulate the compartment and seal off any air leaks then maybe a light bulb would provide enough warmth to keep things from freezing.

My point on the insulation is that insulation slows down the loss of heat but given enough time (which in this situation wouldn't be much) it's going to get to the outside temperature eventually.

There are also things like the heater devices used in gun safes which provide a certain amount of heat to prevent condensation from humid air and the rust it would cause. Probably about the same as a light bulb but can't be broken. With out 110 I don't know what you'd do.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-01-2015

Well, here are a few ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Left 4th Bay.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	34792   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 Left 4th Bay Opened.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	34793  
Old 04-01-2015

Thanks Ron , the 2 nd pic shows the area I just don't like . It is where your 90 elbow is , that trap door is thin and of no or little value when it is 9 or below .

By the way very clean as expected

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 04-01-2015
Timberlake Products Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Thanks Ron , the 2 nd pic shows the area I just don't like . It is where your 90 elbow is , that trap door is thin and of no or little value when it is 9 or below .

Al, fortunately you shouldn't have any standing liquids to freeze from the valve to the outlet unless dumping and then it is in motion (maybe!). If you are using an Aquahot type system etc., maybe it could be used to radiant heat the compartment as well? Maybe a second manual valve right before or after the 90 elbow to create a vapor barrier of sorts to the inside?? Just some thoughts

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true
Old 04-02-2015

Al

About as old as dirt but a 40 watt light bulb - the old fashioned kind will prevent freezing.

The old (not the "green" ones) type bulbs are hard to find but if you will check little rural hardware stores you'll probably find them. It will prevent freezing even when the temps drop down close to zero. The bulbs and a small ceramic heater ( referred to as a milking heater) like you can find at places like Ace Hardware and Tractor Equipment will do the trick.
Old 04-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post

I do see some dust under that ABS pipe! Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Al

About as old as dirt but a 40 watt light bulb - the old fashioned kind will prevent freezing.

The old (not the "green" ones) type bulbs are hard to find but if you will check little rural hardware stores you'll probably find them. It will prevent freezing even when the temps drop down close to zero. The bulbs and a small ceramic heater ( referred to as a milking heater) like you can find at places like Ace Hardware and Tractor Equipment will do the trick.
Tommy,
agreed and thank you, but it forces me to run the genny as the heater does . I am looking for a better way to insulate while dry camping .

Ryan,

I like your idea very much , what would need to be done / maybe tap into a bay line and add 2 more heaters ?

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com