Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-04-2018

Default LXi Battery Isolator Problems

The engine batteries in my 99 LXi won't charge when the engine is running, the generator is running or when I am plugged into shore power. Pushing the Aux Battery switch to on or momentary on doesn't help. This problem started a few weeks ago and went away but now it is back. Right now I am keeping the engine batteries charged by connecting jumper cables between them and the house batteries when I am sitting still and the generator is running or I am plugged into shore power. I suspect that my battery isolator and/or solenoid has gone bad, but I can't find them. Can anybody tell me where to find them?

George Baker
1999 LXi
Old 04-04-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaabb View Post
The engine batteries in my 99 LXi won't charge when the engine is running, the generator is running or when I am plugged into shore power. Pushing the Aux Battery switch to on or momentary on doesn't help. This problem started a few weeks ago and went away but now it is back. Right now I am keeping the engine batteries charged by connecting jumper cables between them and the house batteries when I am sitting still and the generator is running or I am plugged into shore power. I suspect that my battery isolator and/or solenoid has gone bad, but I can't find them. Can anybody tell me where to find them?

George Baker
1999 LXi
George, check the two 200a fuses on the back wall above the start batteries. Also check the solenoid on the right hand upper wall, that's the "aux' solenoid.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-04-2018

Mike,
Thanks. I only have one 200A fuse in that location and it is good. I don't have any slide outs and that might explain why only have one. I sort of thought that the solenoid you mentioned was the aux solenoid and I will check it. But even if I get the Aux Battery system working that still doesn't fix the problem with why the chassis batteries don't start charging automatically when a charging voltage is present. I would like to get that fixed too. I am guessing that there is some great big diode somewhere that isn't passing any current in either direction instead of allowing it to go the chasss batteries for charging and stopping it from flowing from the chassis batteries to the coach. I think the diode might be located on the same wall as the aux solenoid, but I don't have any drawings of that show the devices on that wall.
George
Old 04-04-2018

Quote:
Mike,
Thanks. I only have one 200A fuse in that location and it is good. I don't have any slide outs and that might explain why only have one. I sort of thought that the solenoid you mentioned was the aux solenoid and I will check it. But even if I get the Aux Battery system working that still doesn't fix the problem with why the chassis batteries don't start charging automatically when a charging voltage is present. I would like to get that fixed too. I am guessing that there is some great big diode somewhere that isn't passing any current in either direction instead of allowing it to go the chasss batteries for charging and stopping it from flowing from the chassis batteries to the coach. I think the diode might be located on the same wall as the aux solenoid, but I don't have any drawings of that show the devices on that wall.
George
I just worked on a 2000 LXi and there were no diodes. What I thought were diodes at first turn out to be fuses and went to the two inverters. I took a pic and chased down a lot of wires. I'll post here, maybe it will help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_Engine Bay-1 Labels (1024x576).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	54815   Click image for larger version

Name:	_Engine Bay-2 Labels (1024x576).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	54816  

Old 04-04-2018

Mike,
Thanks again. My wall with the 200A fuse in it looks just like the first photo you sent minus the fuse you had labeled as the House Fuse. The other wall where the aux solenoid is also looks almost exactly the same. I was thinking that the two things you had labeled as fuses connected to the "spare dc in bay" and "inverter/solar power" lines were the diodes. So if they are not, and there are no diodes or other battery isolation device, how do we keep the house from draining the coach batteries and why do we need the aux battery solenoid to temporarily allow the coach batteries to draw from the house batteries? BTW, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the function of a shunt?
George
Old 04-05-2018

George,

The aux solenoid connects the coach battery bus and the chassis battery bus. It's a normally open device and can be activated by the switch on the dash either momentarily (to get a boost to start the main engine) or held on (to charge the chassis battery when plugged in or running the generator.) In addition, when the main engine is running it should energize automatically to allow the alternator to send DC power to the coach systems.

Normal use when parked and running off coach batteries is to have the chassis batteries isolated so they retain enough charge to start the engine.

The shunts are precision low resistance high current resistors. By measuring the voltage drop across them and doing some scaling you can measure the current in that particular wire. This can also be done by measuring the magnetic field around the wire, but the shunt is cheap, rugged, accurate, and effective.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022

Last edited by mahansm; 04-05-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: fix punctuation and line spacing
Old 04-05-2018

Quote:
Mike,
Thanks again. My wall with the 200A fuse in it looks just like the first photo you sent minus the fuse you had labeled as the House Fuse. The other wall where the aux solenoid is also looks almost exactly the same. I was thinking that the two things you had labeled as fuses connected to the "spare dc in bay" and "inverter/solar power" lines were the diodes. So if they are not, and there are no diodes or other battery isolation device, how do we keep the house from draining the coach batteries and why do we need the aux battery solenoid to temporarily allow the coach batteries to draw from the house batteries? BTW, please excuse my ignorance, but what is the function of a shunt?
George
George, the engine batteries are not connected to the alternator, only the house bank is connected to the alternator. The engine batteries are isolated by the AUX solenoid. The AUX solenoid has a manual switch on the dash but is also energized by the ignition. This is what pulls in the engine batteries to charge once the engine is running. The shunts are the common power point where all the batteries are joined. Shunts are very low resistive devices used to measure large currents, they power your amp meters; Battery Charge, Coach Load, and Alternator Charge meters.

First check your AUX solenoid with the dash switch on and look for 12v on one side of the coil and 0v on the other side. If you see 12v on both sides then it is not being grounded to turn on. The solenoid works by grounding the coil as it's tied to 12v on the other side. There are two relays that pull in the solenoid; K42 & K9. K9 is turned on by the ignition switch and K42 is turned on by K24-87, I'm assuming K24 is energized by your dash AUX switch. I've attached the schematic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 96WL42 - 00LXI wiring.pdf (1.23 MB, 67 views)

Old 04-16-2018

Mike,
I pulled the solenoid and put 12V across the secondary posts. No clicking from the solenoid so I figure it is bad. Unfortunately I can't read the part number. I see it is a 200 Amp SP-ST, 12VDC Relay, 12VDC Type N Coil, No 6041X1XX. The Xs represent numbers that are completely missing. The other numbers are smudged so they might be wrong as well. The manufacturer's name is obliterated. Can you give me a part number and manufacturer?
Thanks,
George
Old 04-16-2018

Quote:
Mike,
I pulled the solenoid and put 12V across the secondary posts. No clicking from the solenoid so I figure it is bad. Unfortunately I can't read the part number. I see it is a 200 Amp SP-ST, 12VDC Relay, 12VDC Type N Coil, No 6041X1XX. The Xs represent numbers that are completely missing. The other numbers are smudged so they might be wrong as well. The manufacturer's name is obliterated. Can you give me a part number and manufacturer?
Thanks,
George
George, I believe this would work for you;
CUTLER HAMMER RELAY 200 AMP SPST 12 VDC 6041H105

http://cutler-hammer.industrialpartn...d/6041h105.htm

Old 04-16-2018

That is an Eaton 6041H105 available for about $250. Don't substitute a cheap knock off or you will be doing it again soon.