Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-17-2018

Thanks, guys.
George
Old 08-21-2018

I recently needed new Chassis batteries . When I removed the old I found 1 totally cooked , drained, broken . If I could post Pics my words would not do justice. Anyway , my question is .

How does the charger know how to charge ? That is if sitting there is less load on chassis batts than there might be on house . What if there is a bad battery , would the charging try to charge it and therefore be over charging the good batteries . If you have a bad bat will it ever go to float ?

lets say I have 1 bad batt , does the charger keep trying to charge it and then overcharge the good ones ? Now that I have replaced all battery's I do not want to kill them by overcharging .

What you say Michael

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
I recently needed new Chassis batteries . When I removed the old I found 1 totally cooked , drained, broken . If I could post Pics my words would not do justice. Anyway , my question is .

How does the charger know how to charge ? That is if sitting there is less load on chassis batts than there might be on house . What if there is a bad battery , would the charging try to charge it and therefore be over charging the good batteries . If you have a bad bat will it ever go to float ?

lets say I have 1 bad batt , does the charger keep trying to charge it and then overcharge the good ones ? Now that I have replaced all battery's I do not want to kill them by overcharging .

What you say Michael
i'm not the mike you are ask'n but if bad battery is open its like its not there if its got bad cell it will bring bank down and keep charger busy and stress the remainder of the bank with combiner solenoid made it can draw both banks down there are many scenarios of what can happen... i need to rest my type'n finger
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 08-21-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:

What you say Michael
Hey Al,

When you install your batteries you program the smart charger to match the battery bank. First you match the type; AGM, Wet, Lithium, etc.. then you match the 3 stage voltages per the battery's manufacturer, and you also match the total amp hour size of the bank.

When a battery goes "bad" it can do that in a few ways. The most common is open cell or shorted cell. AND it matters if they are in series or parallel.

An open cell basically removes the battery from circuit so in parallel shouldn't hurt the other batteries but in series would keep them from charging.

A shorted cell is causes the battery to lose about 2.1v and so draws down other batteries and the charger tries to compensate by over charging other batteries in parallel. In series the bad battery gets hot and screws up the charge as false into get's back to the charger.

As you know when these issues arise it's better to replace in banks. This is only a sample of what a bad battery can do as there are lots of other influences and failures to consider.

Hope that helps....
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 08-21-2018

thank you both Mike n Mike

I understand some what your saying but still curious about the so called Smart Charger . Lets say your dry camping and you isolate your start batteries . So they are pretty charged for the most part . But the house has been used and they are really low . Now we start the Genny to charge .

Q Will the charger know when the chassis is charged and stop . or keep sending amps/volts till the house is charged ?
or cut off after the chassis batteries are charged and not charge the house to full ?

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
thank you both Mike n Mike

I understand some what your saying but still curious about the so called Smart Charger . Lets say your dry camping and you isolate your start batteries . So they are pretty charged for the most part . But the house has been used and they are really low . Now we start the Genny to charge .

Q Will the charger know when the chassis is charged and stop . or keep sending amps/volts till the house is charged ?
or cut off after the chassis batteries are charged and not charge the house to full ?
Smart chargers (when programmed properly) will know when to stop and go into float. If you have a remote console or battery monitoring system you can verify the state at any time so you know when to shut down the genset. Most systems only charge one bank so when you isolate your chassis only the house will charge. You can get other setups to charge both but unless you are in long term storage I have not seen the need.

Old 08-21-2018

Well , then maybe I have a issue with my chargers . When I check voltage both house and chassis were charging at the same rate . Remember this is a LXI not FC

However when I started the coach both were also charging at the same voltage . So it looks like they are not isolated , should they be and if so would this be a relay that might be bad somewhere ?

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Well , then maybe I have a issue with my chargers . When I check voltage both house and chassis were charging at the same rate . Remember this is a LXI not FC

However when I started the coach both were also charging at the same voltage . So it looks like they are not isolated , should they be and if so would this be a relay that might be bad somewhere ?
Could be. You have an "aux" switch on your dash. If it's not a momentary switch maybe it was left on? If it is a momentary then the solenoid i the engine compartment is bad.

I got very familiar with LXi's working on on the Cartwright's battery/solar/inverter/rewire job I did.

Al, as you mentioned an easy test is to have a power source (shore, genset, or alternator) running and test both banks with a digital meter. One should be over 14v while the other should be between 12-13.8v

Old 08-21-2018

Michael , Yes with the banks isolated only one will charge . But if joined they will charge at the same 14.2 v or so as you say . So lets say we let them sit like this 5 or 10 hours lets say , now the house has been charging and is now on float . As soon as I connect the banks 14.2v will flow through both banks .

Is this normal or should the charge only go to the chassis batteries ? I also thank you for working with me here as I know a simple call would work , but then others would not be able to know what we are discussing . I don't know about you but I never took typing in school so I'm like Mike here using 2 fingers or sometimes 3

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Michael , Yes with the banks isolated only one will charge . But if joined they will charge at the same 14.2 v or so as you say . So lets say we let them sit like this 5 or 10 hours lets say , now the house has been charging and is now on float . As soon as I connect the banks 14.2v will flow through both banks .

Is this normal or should the charge only go to the chassis batteries ? I also thank you for working with me here as I know a simple call would work , but then others would not be able to know what we are discussing . I don't know about you but I never took typing in school so I'm like Mike here using 2 fingers or sometimes 3
When you join the banks to charge "ALL" the batteries unless the house/chassis batteries are the same then one bank will charge fully and the other will never reach full charge.