Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-05-2018

Default RoadKing Shocks

Has anyone, over the past 3-4 years, installed and used Roadking shocks on their Lxi ? They seem to be a custom made, large bore, nitrogen/oil filled monotube shock.
I'd be interested in anyone’s report on these shocks.

It’s unfortunate that Koni shocks are the only specified shocks available for our coaches. The Koni’s are an oil & air, twin-tube, design. This design has a smaller internal piston than would be available with monotube shocks. Trying to control heavy loads with a smaller piston can result in small valves that tend to have harsher reactions as compared to larger pistons which can then be designed with slightly larger valve openings; the larger valve openings can result in somehat smoother reactions with larger pay loads. The oil and air filling also permits foaming in the shock and therefore some loss of control when used on bad roads. Bad, rough, surfaced surface roads and roads with pot holes, washboard surfaces, and tar strips, impart "fast speed" reaction demands on the shock(s). The two different conditions, slow and faster reaction speed control is addressed by their newer FSD design. This employes one set of valves for slow speed reactions and a second set of valves for faster speed reactions. I am also surprised that Koni provides the adjustable shock for the front axles and the more sophicated FSD type for the rear axles. It would seem the FSD shock technology should be used on all tires. But I have also heard that Koni’s FSD shocks may exhibit less control and may be more prone to failures than the adjustable shocks, especially with heavier coach loads like our Birds.

Roadking informed me they have supplied their shocks on Newells and older, heavier, Country Coaches with some success. That is why I am interested in the Roadking shocks. Your feedback is very appreciated.

Old 11-05-2018

Road king are good shocks but truckers complain that if you have a problem they have to go yo the factory. Try Source engineering on Oregon. Custom made

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 11-05-2018

Default Roadking Shocks

Thanks Bruce. Yes I had also talked to the owner at Source Engineering. He said he would have to make, then install, and then test the new shocks on, and with, the coach. That this process would consume a lot of hours( and of course money ). He uses the Bilstein shock materials to construct his shocks. The problem I see with this technique, the Bilsteins are not easily rebuildable. Like Koni shocks, once the rod, valve, and oil are installed they are weld sealed. I assume this is why the Roadking shocks are more expensive; they are custom made in terms of compressed and extended length, eye bolt size and length, then oil filled, and nitrogen charged, then the end cap is ( supposedly ) screwed on with a rubber seal.

But alas I was hoping to find someone who has had any or all of their shocks replaced using the Roadking shocks one of the heavier 43 or 45’ long LXi’s, not just a hd truck/ tractor.

Old 11-05-2018

I put RoadKing (front) shocks on our 2003Lx. I thought I would see a great improvement over the Koni shocks. When I didn't, Road King thought that I needed to install new shocks on the drive axle and tag. Their thought was that worn out rear shocks were contributing to the "porpoise" effect. I replaced the rear shocks with RoadKings. I still did not experience a great improvement in ride quality. I got a lot of advice from other Bluebird owners from tire pressures to weight distribution, I tried many of the suggestions and found some improvement. RoadKing shocks are made by King off-road shocks in Garden Grove. You are close by, stop by and see what they can do for you!
Old 11-05-2018

Default Roadking Shocks

Thanks Kurt.
That info is very helpful. This is comparable with comparison testing, using an SOB motorhome, back in 2009. The magazine compared Koni’s to Bilstein’s and Roadking. They basically reported there was no clear winner other than to say they were all better than the original stock Sachs( German made shocks ). They did say the Konis and RK’s provided more control, but both were harsher on rough road surfaces ( fast pseed reactions).

I am curious. You said the RK’s were not better, but could you tell any difference; When you replaced the fronts and then again when you installed the rears? In what ride areas were they better or worse?

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-05-2018
Forum owner

This is a very deep well.
Its not all about the shocks,its the shock/air spring combination that makes the ride,good or bad.

I have been playing with the suspension package on my LXI for 5 years,its more than you ever dreamed of,to get an awesome ride.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-06-2018

Default Roadking Shocks

Thanks for your input as well Randy.

I agree with what you have to contribute. I remember hearing a brief statement of your changes. Especially how you came up with the quad shock arrangement you’ve employed on your drive axle. But at this time I am using a pair of Monroe shocks on my passive steerable axle, and I recognize they are inadequate for that application. So I’m looking for some ( relatively ) easy way to find a better alternative.

I hope to hear what the other passive steerable 43LXi Bird owners have used successfully.

Old 11-06-2018
Forum owner

Bob,what are you trying to do here?
Stop the porpoising?
Or the body roll?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-06-2018

Default Roadking Shocks

Hi Randy.

I have been able to reduce most porpoising by increasing the tag axle spring air pressure. But when I drive behind the coach ( with my wife driving the Bird ), when she hits a deep gulley in the road I can see the tail end move around. So I’m reminded the tag axle shocks are weak Monroe shocks. Id like to firm that up a bit. I have been thinking replacing the Monroes with custom made RK shoks should help here.

Recently, upon your comments and the background of others in WOG, I removed the drop links from the antisway bar. This has softened the harsh reactions encountered from the front axle traversing over rough road surfaces. On the other side of the coin, when taking a sharp right hand turn ( at a street corner ) I can feel the coach lean more that it did with the anti-sway bar in place. I may be able to live with this effect by driving slowly on such corners. But I perceive that stiffer shock control on all corners may help the body leaning a bit. I imagine that you have experienced that with your modifications.

Again, any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 11-06-2018

Randy is correct "this is a very deep well"...lots of components that have to work in unison to see any ride quality improvement. I did not experience a noticeable difference between the Koni and the Road King shocks. As I remember, because of steering clearance issues, the front Roadking shocks were limited to their smaller diameter model.