Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 12-31-2018

Default Jeep ZJ Radiator

I know this has nothing to do with my Wanderlodge or even towing my toad but I know there are a few 'old Jeep' guys here ('Old' refers to the age of the Jeep, not you guys) There are Jeep forums out there, but I wanted to bounce this off of the guys I know and trust first.

Short version: I am looking for a reputable source for a radiator that won't leak. I am considering Radiator Express. They have an all-aluminum 2-row at a reasonable price. It's got to be better than the leaky plastic junk. Anybody ever purchased a rad from them? Any other places I should check out?

Long version (grab a cup of coffee):
I have a 1998 ZJ (Grand Cherokee). I've had it since new, drove it off the dealer's lot in November 1997. The original radiator lasted almost 17 years. In March 2014 I bought a replacement from Advance auto. (Where I had previously bought one for my Honda accord in 2005, and that rad is still on that car today, not leaking a drop).

So the $92 replacement from Advance started leaking within 6 months. It appeared to be dripping from the drain valve. I tried a few different things over the next 18 months to stop it (and it did slow down) but then I realized it was leaking from elsewhere. I figured the warranty was long over, and I saw the same rad on sale so I bought another in March 2016. The store manager said I should bring the old one in, maybe they can at least give me a few bucks back. What a waste of time. They made me call a 1-800 number where I was told the lifetime warranty 'didn't mean my lifetime'. They could not offer a real definition of it. (By now I had already and paid for and installed the second one).

So the second one also leaked! The store mgr told me to try stop leak. He claimed it would seal up the hose fittings and drain valve. I reluctantly tried that, and it actually did work, and was leak free until this past Memorial Day weekend, when I replaced the evaporator core and heater core & hoses.

Apparently breaking the seal on the drain valve was a mistake. Stop-leak did not work this time. Fast forward to this week, and I am now losing a half-gallon of coolant every 75 miles. (1 week of driving to work).

Today I shined my flashlight under the hood, engine running, and I can now see green coolant along the seam between the tank and core. Hose fittings bone dry.

So here I am looking for a radiator again, third time in 5 years. I am willing to pay more (the one I'm considering is $179)...I just want one that doesn't leak!!

Marc Pease
New Haven, CT
1991 TC2000 (sold)
1982 FC35SB "Rollin' Old School"

marc@marcpease.com
Old 12-31-2018

Radiator designs in cars now have the core floating in the fittings and bushings. Often the hoses and inlet outlet are set up so they need to be over 2 foot long.. can only guess this is to minimize twist, engine roll and vibration damage. on the engine roll topic, check motor mounts are not allowing engine to tug at hoses.
Best way to find leaks is with blue toilet or tissue paper.turns dark blue when it gets slightly wet.
Old 12-31-2018
Administrator

Contact Bill Brinner
He knows the car radiator business,
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...mber.php?u=337
Old 01-01-2019

Radiator king 1 541 882 3078 he knows jeeps
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 01-01-2019

Marc I recently replaced the one in my liberty. I choose to go with oem Mopar. Had to remove more parts than I expected and didn't want to have to do it anytime soon again if using a cheap one, as you experienced.
VB 1570

Last edited by markusfmeyer; 01-01-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2019

Another brand to consider is Mishimoto, they seem to have good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-R21...oGL&ref=plSrch
VB 1570
Old 01-01-2019

Markus, the Mopar was my first choice. My online research found it to be no longer available. But I may swing by the dealer and ask, I pass by there a couple times a week. If I had known I would have such bad luck with replacements, I would have hung on to the original one and had it re-cored.

The good part is, I am a pro at replacing it now. I can do it in 20 minutes.

Thank you fellas for all the suggestions.

Marc Pease
New Haven, CT
1991 TC2000 (sold)

marc@marcpease.com
Old 01-01-2019

Honestly, I would buy a chicom all-aluminum all-welded radiator on eBay for like $150. I've used a couple of these for projects here and there and they have all been surprisingly well built. There are all kinds made for your Jeep so it should be easy... The issue with them is that sometimes the mounts and things aren't welded on where they are supposed to be, but then they can be returned. Their welding and other fab is quality though.

I wouldn't buy a Mishmoto readiator with plastic tanks because they are some mystery line of chicom replacements that you'd be able to buy at Autozone. i.e. crapshoot.
Old 01-02-2019

Default Radiator

After a couple radiators I would be checking for a blown head gasket. They can't all be defective.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 02-17-2019

Just to give an update, I found what seems to be an excellent radiator with a 10 year warranty. Installed a few weeks ago, no leaks, not even a trace of coolant odor.

They have rad's for other older Jeep models too, so I figured I'd share the link.

https://www.oplautoparts.com/product...rokee-93-97-v8

Now onto spring maintenance for the Bird.

Marc Pease
New Haven, CT
1991 TC2000 (sold)

marc@marcpease.com