Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 11-23-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
My first question would be what size bikes are we talking about. If they hare near the mid to small size they would fit in the back of a 4x4 pick up. That would assist with the towability of the vehicle, since about all 4x4 are towable 4 down. It would put you more in line with your weight issues, also. I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD that I pull behind my bus. I would be under the 10K# mark with two bikes in the back. With the right kind of ramp off of the back it would work just fine. Something like this https://www.discountramps.com/atv/ra...RoCN3oQAvD_BwE
One is a HD Fatboy and the other a Triumph America. Together around 1500 lb. I saw one article putting the van around 15400 curb weight.

A long bed truck would work but since we are full timing I figured having them covered would work better and dear wife always can use extra storage.

Thank you for the tip on the ramp. We would need eventually unless we go with covered trailers that the door drops to a ramp.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 11-23-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearmtnmartin View Post
Seems like a trailer would be much easier than jamming road bikes into a van every time you stop, and a Honda for tooling around would beat a work van.
My problem with a trailer is that when you get to RV parks often you can not maneuver with the trailer attached and have to disconnect. But that would mean having to unload the car and hook it to the trailer to move it around the park.

With a drivable setup I would just unhook and dear wife would drive and park it.

What can I say I am lazy!

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 11-23-2020

No prob towing, just disconnect the d/shaft from the pinion yolk, every time and replace to drive it. Trailer would be a lot less trouble and no insurance issues, work on backing up, it's not hard with practice.
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-23-2020

I would go with a trailer . Having a small car to get around is sweet . Tell us a little about where you plan to go , how long will you stay . For us the trailer was perfect for how we live as full timers . In fact being able to back up the trailer unlike a toad has it's advantages also . In fact if you end up going with a trailer the one I have might be perfect for you . She is a 24' Featherlite stacker 17k. The only reason I'm going to sell her is because this Prevost ca not tow her like my Bird did . So now I can only bring one toy at a time

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 11-23-2020
Forum owner

Thats an aluminum body on the van,do you really think it weights 15,000lbs?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-23-2020

Here is my opinion. It’s free and everyone has one. Take it however you want.

I’ve towed a lot. Everything from 80,000 lb OTR semi trucks to a single rail dirt bike trailer behind a stick shift Honda Accord. I like trailers. Yes they can be a pain when trying to maneuver behind a long wheelbase RV but they fill my needs. I really don’t like being limited by towing four down and not being able to go in reverse.

I currently have a PJ brand 20’ open car hauler with dovetail and ramps It’s 102” wide with drive over fenders in case I ever get a wide vehicle like a Jeep. It usually hauls two motorcycles up front parked sideways with the wife’s Traverse in behind. One of the issues I need to be cognizant of is the Traverse towing capability. Put that big heavy tongue weight on it and suddenly, the Traverse is a gutless one front wheel drive weakling. It does ok on hard surfaces but if it’s gravel or even slightly uphill, the Traverse won’t move out of its tracks. If I know that friends with tow vehicles will be where I’m going, we take the Traverse. If I’m operating on my own, I need to take my pickup and that’s ok because she doesn’t mind driving it

I had a 4 down setup to pull my pickup. Every time I pulled it, I was always worried about “Panic Stops” and collapsing the tow bar. Don’t have that concern with a trailer. I also think that pulling the pickup was very hard on it. Dragging it around corners and just going down the highway seemed to increase the wear and tear on it. I really don’t like to abuse a $50 grand pickup when a $5 grand trailer will eliminate that issue. Sure, it’s a little work to load or unload but life is not supposed to be perfect in every way.

There is No Way that I see for that step van to weigh 15 k empty. Maybe GVW but I’ve been wrong before. Do you really want to have to deal with that ugly thing as your grocery getter or National Park vehicle. It may have prohibitive insurance or license requirements also. Vehicle license fees are based on weight in Texas and I’m sure that thing would be expensive every year. But the expense of owning a trailer and keeping good tires on it is significant also.

Everything in life has compromises. No one motorcycle, airplane, tractor, car, truck, bang stick, mower, power tool, etc can do everything well. You choose what works best for your intentions and go forward till some better option comes along.

Max.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 11-23-2020
Administrator

Thanks Max for this experienced write-up
Old 11-23-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
My first question would be what size bikes are we talking about. If they hare near the mid to small size they would fit in the back of a 4x4 pick up. That would assist with the towability of the vehicle, since about all 4x4 are towable 4 down. It would put you more in line with your weight issues, also. I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD that I pull behind my bus. I would be under the 10K# mark with two bikes in the back. With the right kind of ramp off of the back it would work just fine. Something like this https://www.discountramps.com/atv/ra...RoCN3oQAvD_BwE

Our neighbor has a ~40' Newmar and has added a receiver on the back of it to allow the mounting of one of their Harleys. They put her Sportster there, IIRC. They then out his bike in the bed of their F250 King's Ranch and flat-tow it. I think they have a winch to pull the bike up into the bed, and have a towing mount for it specifically. I think with his bike in the bed, there's no more room for hers, hence the motorcycle mount receiver.

But as Randy mentioned, I doubt that box van can be flat-towed unless you disconnect the driveshaft.
Old 11-24-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Thats an aluminum body on the van,do you really think it weights 15,000lbs?
I really don’t, that’s why I asked you guys, I searched the net and numbers where all over the place from 4500 lb. to 15400 lb.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 11-24-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by max hendrix View Post
Here is my opinion. It’s free and everyone has one. Take it however you want.

I’ve towed a lot. Everything from 80,000 lb OTR semi trucks to a single rail dirt bike trailer behind a stick shift Honda Accord. I like trailers. Yes they can be a pain when trying to maneuver behind a long wheelbase RV but they fill my needs. I really don’t like being limited by towing four down and not being able to go in reverse.

I currently have a PJ brand 20’ open car hauler with dovetail and ramps It’s 102” wide with drive over fenders in case I ever get a wide vehicle like a Jeep. It usually hauls two motorcycles up front parked sideways with the wife’s Traverse in behind. One of the issues I need to be cognizant of is the Traverse towing capability. Put that big heavy tongue weight on it and suddenly, the Traverse is a gutless one front wheel drive weakling. It does ok on hard surfaces but if it’s gravel or even slightly uphill, the Traverse won’t move out of its tracks. If I know that friends with tow vehicles will be where I’m going, we take the Traverse. If I’m operating on my own, I need to take my pickup and that’s ok because she doesn’t mind driving it

I had a 4 down setup to pull my pickup. Every time I pulled it, I was always worried about “Panic Stops” and collapsing the tow bar. Don’t have that concern with a trailer. I also think that pulling the pickup was very hard on it. Dragging it around corners and just going down the highway seemed to increase the wear and tear on it. I really don’t like to abuse a $50 grand pickup when a $5 grand trailer will eliminate that issue. Sure, it’s a little work to load or unload but life is not supposed to be perfect in every way.

There is No Way that I see for that step van to weigh 15 k empty. Maybe GVW but I’ve been wrong before. Do you really want to have to deal with that ugly thing as your grocery getter or National Park vehicle. It may have prohibitive insurance or license requirements also. Vehicle license fees are based on weight in Texas and I’m sure that thing would be expensive every year. But the expense of owning a trailer and keeping good tires on it is significant also.

Everything in life has compromises. No one motorcycle, airplane, tractor, car, truck, bang stick, mower, power tool, etc can do everything well. You choose what works best for your intentions and go forward till some better option comes along.

Max.
Max,

Thank you for the detail write up. I’m lazy and that is the leading cause of my bad decisions. Combined that with dear wife’s requirements and you can come up with ....

Full timing last year, I noticed that when we got to many RV parks, we had to disconnect the 4 down toad because there was no room to get to the spot and disconnect there, so we would do that at entrance and dear wife would drive the toad. With a trailer and a car inside the trailer, we (that means I) would have to disconnect, take the car out and hook it up to trailer. She would also need to practice driving while pulling a trailer since I can’t drive the bus and the car pulling the trailer at the same time. By the way she does not drive the bus. That is how I thought have a toad that can fit two motorcycle I it was the way to go, so when it comes to having to disconnect she can just get behind the wheel and drive the road. The step vans while ugly have ample space inside for two motorcycles and some of the other junk currently on the back of the Honda Element.

I am looking to see if I can find one with manual transmission and that would eliminate having to mess with the driveline.

Thanks again for the insight.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org