Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 06-06-2019

You can do that or just use the on-board Racor with a portable pump and return hose to the tank. I installed a 3-way ball valve down-stream from the Racor. Fuel is pulled through the Racor with a 12V Holley 90gph gear pump and sent back to the fuel tank.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 07-26-2019

Excellent read, thanks Bill and Shane. Will look at the filters when we finally get around to PMing the bus prior to our grand departure. Also like the suggestion from Revision about the fuel cleaning. We are on the coast so this shouldn't be an issue finding someone to do this. Our Racor, when we cleaned it was dirty, yes, but with rust and gunk, not algae or slime, but that cleaning was about 2 years ago now.
Racor is still clear but of course we haven't gone anywhere in several months...well since Flywheelers.

Fort Myers, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 07-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
Algae is all dead- sitting in suspension in the fuel. I just picked up a Holley HOL12125 fuel pump and plan to have it pull fuel through the Racor and return it to the tank while parked. This should allow me to re-filter the fuel many times over in a given day and pull most of the slime out while parked. What I still have to do is put a tee and shutoff on the out-bound side of the Racor assembly and mount the pump. I'm going to return the fuel to the tank through the fill neck. If this system works well, I'll probably plumb it into the coach on a more permanent basis- but for now I was planning to just run a hose to the fill neck. I'll take photos when its all done.
. Back in the early 2000's cummins b motors went to the vp44. We had a lot of vp 44 failures due to a weak transfer pump. Low supply pressure to the pump. We ended up making our own transfer pump and fuel filter assembly with 150 gpm holly pumps. We had about 17 psi at the vp 44 and t'ed the un used fuel back to tank. That saved the life of the vp 44s. The unexpected bonus was the secondary fuel filter on the engine only got re placed once a year and it looked brand new when we took it out. The new filter we added to our little system was replaced every 30 days. But these trucks run 20 hrs a day.