Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-10-2019

This winter I had the spring brake not release a couple of times it finally locked and wouldn’t release I replaced both of the original maxi cans one had a bad diaphragm after talking with Randy I bought 30/30 cans all is well
Old 06-10-2019

I am replacing both brake chambers with MGM part no. MJS3030ET501. The MGM engineer says the instruction on how to cage the spring brake are printed on top of the brake chambers, or they do now. I do not see any instructions on the brake chambers on my 1989 WB 40. He advised me to pressure up the system and then turn a bolt to cage the brakes. Does anyone have better instructions on how to do that?
Old 06-10-2019
Administrator

level ground and chock those wheels front and back or it may roll over you
Old 06-11-2019

Block your tires turn the bolt on the back of the brake can it will pull the extended brake rod into the can when the clevis is loose pull the pin easy peasy
Old 06-11-2019
Gardner

In most cases you need to cut the shaft to match your installation. Make sure the original and new cans are both in the same caged status or you will end up cutting to the wrong length and render the new can useless
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-11-2019

The new MGM cans are pricey. Normal truck cans run about $120 or so. The new 30/30 ones recommended by the MGM engineer cost about $370 each at TruckPro and other distributors. I suspect the price is driven by the use of a piston for the parking brake side of the can instead of a rubber bladder. The sales rep at my local TruckPro store in Norcross, GA was very helpful in showing me how to cage the brakes, remove the can and install the new one. He rebuilt cans for many years before moving to the sales desk, so he was very knowledgeable about air brakes. Unfortunately, there are none in stock in Atlanta, so mine won't arrive until Thursday. That gives me a few days to remove the old ones. I was also advised to pressure up the air system before trying to back off the bolt on the back of the can. I will take pictures of the process to help other newbies who may be as unfamiliar with the brake system as I was. This group is helping get a good education on air brake systems. I have the wheels chocked, and several jack stands under the coach, as well as two 20-ton bottle jacks.
Old 06-11-2019

I forgot to ask one question. Do I turn the bolt clockwise to retract the springs?