Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gardner

I read the install manual for the inverter, and it says it should NOT be connected to an RV electrical system. Perhaps that's why they messed with the wiring???

below pasted from the manual.

The neutral (common) conductor of the power inverter AC output circuit is not bonded to the chassis ground. Therefore, when the chassis is connected to ground, the neutral conductor will not be grounded.

At no point should the chassis ground and the neutral conductor of the inverter be bonded. Bonding the chassis ground and the neutral conductor of the inverter or connecting the inverter to household or recreational AC distribution wiring will damage the unit and void the warranty

Caution! The negative DC input of the power inverter is connected to the
chassis. Do not install the power inverter in a positive ground DC system.
A positive ground DC system has the positive terminal of the battery
connected to the chassis of the vehicle or to the grounding point
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
I modified my reply several times. In the end the best solution is too dump the transfer switch and re-wire the relay(s) in. But you may have issues since it was messed with by a dope?
I don’t think it ever worked right, the breaker had already been changed out on the panel once before.

I was planning to install a more powerful inverter. I’ll probably pull it all out and rewire everything. I never liked the way everything was installed anyway, really poor access.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
I don’t think it ever worked right, the breaker had already been changed out on the panel once before.

I was planning to install a more powerful inverter. I’ll probably pull it all out and rewire everything. I never liked the way everything was installed anyway, really poor access.
Good idea. Be sure to get a inverter that is made to integrate into RV electrical wiring.. When active it should bond neutral and ground per electrical code, good ones will.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I opened up my ATS today, I can see one of the relays has been getting hot.

How was the original Xantrex wired in here ?
The Xantrex handled battery charging and inverter functions ?
Forgive my lack of knowledge I’m just getting up to speed on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61DDF645-8D0F-4A70-B701-1A16C647834B.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	62435  
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gardner

Most charger/inverters pass the input 110 to the output 110 via an internal relay. When shore/gen power is available it passes it through to the designated outlets. When no shore.gen power is available it disconnects the 110 input and connects the inverter output to the designated outlets.

The bb's that had separate chargers and inverters installed relays that would connect 110 shore or gen power to the designated outlets. If there was no shore or gen power the relays would drop and connect the inverter to the designated outlets.

On my coach the original relays are still installed and working per the design. Even though my Xantrex passes the shore/gen 110 through, the relay system still drops it.

On your coach it appears they removed the relays. So your inverter/charger 110 output would connect to the circuit that is currently connected to the output of the electronic transfer switch eliminating the electronic transfer switch. (assuming the modified wiring is correct and just goes straight to the aux outlets)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Xfer-SteelWheels-Xantrex.pdf (25.7 KB, 7 views)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:44 AM.