Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
Arlin, having had a failure of that breaker in the generator compartment, I know what a pain testing it can be.

You need a quality pair of test leads equipped with alligator clips. Run the genny out. Remove the cover from the breaker box and SECURELY attach the test leads to the input side of the breaker with the meter outside of the generator area. My leads are long enough to lay the meter on the ground in front of the tire. Start the genny and read the voltage. Shutdown genny, move leads to output side of breaker and repeat test. If you have 240V +/- on the INPUT side of the breaker but not on the OUTPUT side of the breaker, the breaker is the problem.

TOM
Tom,

Thanks. I’ll see what I can find when I get back home in a couple of weeks. It’s a lot easier to do in my garage than on the road.
VerleyBird
Old 1 Week Ago

Well, we made it home yesterday. A friend that is more adept with electrical volunteered to help check things out. Upon opening the transfer switch
cover it became clear where the issue is. Contacts on one of the contactors were fused, and the plastic backing was literally overheated to the point of disintegration. Found replacement contactors, but after observing the condition of the rest of the transfer switch we thought it might be better to replace the whole unit. Found a slightly different version of the same part number (smaller footprint).

What have you used in place of the original?
VerleyBird
Old 1 Week Ago

Looks like Rick got BINGO on post #2

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlinV View Post
Well, we made it home yesterday. A friend that is more adept with electrical volunteered to help check things out. Upon opening the transfer switch
cover it became clear where the issue is. Contacts on one of the contactors were fused, and the plastic backing was literally overheated to the point of disintegration. Found replacement contactors, but after observing the condition of the rest of the transfer switch we thought it might be better to replace the whole unit. Found a slightly different version of the same part number (smaller footprint).

Arlin,

Though I'm not a fan of Camping World, they do offer a heavier transfer switch with larger industrial type relays. I had to extend some cables to put mine in, but I like the robustness of the new unit. I'm not near my coach at the moment, but you can google it.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
Arlin,

Though I'm not a fan of Camping World, they do offer a heavier transfer switch with larger industrial type relays. I had to extend some cables to put mine in, but I like the robustness of the new unit. I'm not near my coach at the moment, but you can google it.
Jerry,

SurgeGuard, or TRC?
VerleyBird
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Upon opening the transfer switch
cover it became clear where the issue is. Contacts on one of the contactors were fused, and the plastic backing was literally overheated to the point of disintegration. Found a slightly different version of the same part number (smaller footprint).

I like the metal box TRC. But have used both with no issues. It will look installed upside down as the two option lines electric goes in thru the bottom and load is out the top.
The muffed transfer contacts are not the problem. they are a result of a problem.

could have been dropped neutral?. I guess the contacts could have been the problem but usually not. I had an AC draw too much on startup that I believe stressed my transfer contacts. the white neutral jacket and red jacket changed color a bit so I replaced the Air conditioner and the transfer switch just for good measure. These transfer switches go on sale at Camping World online for $100 often. In store will honor the online sale prices.
You can install the new one and then go thru all combinations of power draw while checking amp consumed and heat at the contacts. this is how I found my AC issue

Last edited by GregOC; 1 Week Ago at 10:05 PM.
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Jerry,

SurgeGuard, or TRC?
I believe it is the TRC one.