Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 12-31-2007
Webmaster

Default FAQ's - Vehicle Issues - 1

Various questions about vehicle issues answered here
  • HOW LONG SHOULD MY HOUSE BATTERY BANK LAST?
    A lengthy discussion on the forum about how long a battery bank should last, including types of batteries used by different members. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of the message and click on the other replies for more information on this topic.
  • I would like to add more batteries to my house battery bank, but I'm not sure how to wire them properly.
    I used eight (8)Trojan T-105, 6 volt Golf cart batteries, due to the low clearance of my house battery compartment and I even eliminated the generator battery, in the process, using the house battery bank to start the generator, this has worked just fine for over two years now. This link will take you to my web site and the wiring diagram, you can look through the web site for more wiring diagrams, by just clicking on the photo of this wiring diagram and it will take you to the thumbnails of all of the photos on the web site.
  • AIR LEAKING SOUND
    If the air leak that you hear is coming from just below the left headlight
  • I am considering buying an older FC and want to know what would it take to put a different engine in it
    If you have a good running 3208 and you want to know what it costs to change out the engine and what the costs and issues are, save yourself the headache (and money) and buy a newer bird. Before considering “open heart” surgery on a ‘bird with a good running 3208NA consider the fact that even the simplest solution of upgrading to a 3208 turbo is not an inexpensive proposition. Considering the value of a ‘bird of the NA vintage an engine swap can run into a large percentage of the total value. Now if the 3208NA is “bad” then by all means install a reman 3208 turbo. In fact replacing a “bad” NA with a 3208 turbo is almost a given in many opinions.
  • I can't seem to locate a replacement filter for my 'Bird, where can I find one?
    Use these filter manufacturers cross reference links to find the proper filter for your 'Bird, by entering the old filters part number, that should be either printed, or stamped on it somewhere. Then take both the old filter and the new part number to your local NAPA, CARQUEST, or other heavy duty parts store and they should be able to find you a replacement
  • I can't seem to locate a replacement filter for my 'Bird, where can I find one?
    Use these filter manufacturers cross reference links to find the proper filter for your 'Bird, by entering the old filters part number, that should be either printed, or stamped on it somewhere. Then take both the old filter and the new part number to your local NAPA, CARQUEST, or other heavy duty parts store and they should be able to find you a replacement
  • I just got a diesel fuel bath while filling up my 'Bird, how can I prevent this from happening?
    This is a very common problem with 'Birds of almost any year and model, it is usually caused by air pressure building up inside the tank as the tank is getting full of diesel fuel. the air vent on some 'Birds is too small to relieve this air that is trying to escape, because it cannot keep up with the high volume pumps that are normally found at truck stops now days. I used to wrap a old towel around the nozzle before I placed it into the filler neck, to prevent any fuel from spilling over as the tank filled up and splashed back, but now I use a FuelKleen Splash Absorbing Collar Fits around fuel filler neck and instantly catches fuel before it can spill. FuelKleen has been designed to catch drips and splashes from fuel filling nozzles. FuelKleen collar can be reused until it is fully saturated. There are also some devices made that fit into the tank that will help relieve the pressure build up and also some 'Bird owners have enlarged the air vent line that comes off of the top of the tank, to help vent this pressure build up. On 'Birds equipped with dual filer necks on either side, opening the opposite side fuel filler cap, will help relieve this pressure.
  • I understand that I have a RACOR fuel filter on my 'Bird, how do I change the filter in it?
    The RACOR is the filter that screens the bigger impurities from your diesel fuel while on the way to your main engine. Its location depends on the model of 'Bird that it was installed on. Here Jay Darst gives a detailed description of how he changes the filter in his RACOR housing. Be sure to read all of the other replies, there is a lot of good information about the RACOR filter found there.
Old 04-30-2008

Default light bulb problem

Does anyone know where I can find a light bulb that goes over the driver seat, it's a 12 volt(long stem). any help would be appreciated. Thank You
Old 04-30-2008
Forum Moderator

Claude I have seen both the long and short stem lights at Camping World. My Bird uses the short stemmed version