Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 02-02-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Raleigh,

Glad to hear from you Raleigh Sorry for your continuing problems. Some of these guys probably could've stopped between "Q" and without a doubt in my mind, put their finger right on the problem?? I am not volunteering anyone, not my place, but I wish I could drive by and take a look at it for you Good luck!

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true
Old 02-02-2010
Gardner

Randy's right, the wrong place for the job.

When I bought my current coach the owner showed me a bill for $12,000 for work that should have cost much less. They put 12 volt batteries in instead of 6 volt deep cycle, and did many other things that I felt were over the top.

The owner was disillusioned and in the end changed work locations and had to sell quickly. It has been a good coach for me even though I needed to do additional things to it, like tires.

It would be interesting if you could make it to a rally with the coach. I'd bet the WOG guys could do a good job of analyzing your problems and give you a punch list of things that really needed to be done. It is a shame to see you loose out on the fun part of owning a bird because of your experience.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-02-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Rally at Raleigh's??

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true

Last edited by Turbokitty; 02-03-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2010

Raleigh,

You took it to Lewis RV for some of the stuff, but did it ever get to a true Detroit shop? If so which one? I actually saw it sitting at Lewis last summer or spring. That's a pretty good looking rig, so while I understand your frustration, I'd would not be too hasty to get rid of her yet.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 02-02-2010
95 WB 42

Raleigh
The puking oil is out of the slobber box drains,they drain into a small tube mounted just behind the bumper,yes it has a drain valve. When I had our Bird in paint shop last year they started coach often to move it around BIG mistake 6V92's will fill up slopper holding tank very quickly when run for short cycles nature of the beast, it must be drained regularly when short cycled. Ours produces no slobber oil on long trips but overproduces when short cycled. Just check oil level often on LEVEL spot you'll be OK Not a problem. No multi visc No Synthetic USE straight 40 wt oil Chevron or Shell your choice may vary thats what I use.
Speed 50mph?? are you sure it's going into 5th gear? ours is goverened to 2300rpm on the motor 50mph is what we run in 4th gear don't ask how I know this \.

Keep us informed we'll assist in getting you on the road, lots of help is here on this site. Feel free to call.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 02-03-2010

Default thanks for your input

Guys, I thank all of you for your input. I've no doubt the problems stopping me are not big things at all for someone who's familiar with Bluebirds.

I've never had an RV of any kind before. I'm a hot rod and race car guy and a good home remodeler, so I didn't figure on ignorance being such a major factor with this coach. But I bought this thing to go to races and car shows and such, not to be a bigger project than the ones I'm already building! Mistake on my part. Should've bought a newer s.o.b. that's more like a car, I guess.

I'm afraid to try to take it to a rally, because I don't think there are any around here and I'm too impatient to drive 50 mph for 2 or 3 days to go somewhere! I am getting pretty **** good at backing it in and out of the driveway, though!

Ed, when it pukes, it comes from a tank over on the radiator side of the engine compartment, about head high. I'd take a photo, but we've been iced in for 5 days and I've a lot of catching up to do. Plus, I've been working on my Mustang to get it ready for some summer shows.

Asked my wife about going to Seattle Wa for MCA grand national this summer, and she replied we should take our granddaughter and sone and go in BOB to Seattle and pull the car. I just groaned. I can just imagine a 5000 mile trip with a top speed of 50, and crossing the rockies twice........

BTW, my tach quit. I saw a thread on this forum last year about that, but I have no clue where to look on the transmission to see where the sensor is. It worked when I got it.... I might be able to tell if it's going into fifth gear that way.

Any sites you can point me to that would give a list of dates and locations for these rallies? Didn't realize there were such things.

Thanks again for all your input.
Old 02-03-2010
95 WB 42

Raleigh

Check the oil level in that tank its supplies oil for power steering & radiator fan. It may be overfilled or just puking when trapped air in system burps.
Dipstick is also fill cap.
This is the site to find rally info Maxon,Birds At The Beach, RATS."Q"
and more Tom Warner has one at his place.
Dive in, help & advice is here somebody has been there done that,TONS of info on this forum,,search threads and posts also.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 02-03-2010
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wimberley View Post
Raleigh

Check the oil level in that tank its supplies oil for power steering & radiator fan. It may be overfilled or just puking when trapped air in system burps.
Dipstick is also fill cap.
This is the site to find rally info Maxon,Birds At The Beach, RATS."Q"
and more Tom Warner has one at his place.
Dive in, help & advice is here somebody has been there done that,TONS of info on this forum,,search threads and posts also.
If the rallymasters list the information about their upcoming rallies that information will be found under Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies, Shows, and Organized Events also you can find them listed on our Calendar

The Lonestar 'Birds have had rallies in Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-03-2010

The Tach sending unit can be seen by opening up the passenger side rear louvre where the batteries are located. Look up over/around the exhaust coming off the turbo just past the air compressor (front of bus side of engine). The sending unit is gear driven off the engine. It has a hexagonal column about 4" long with a thin circular "hat" on top. The hat has two wires coming out the side. Remove the sending unit from the engine. If you don't oil them about once a year, the friction will result in over loading the square drive piece about an inch long resulting in a break. You can try soldering it back together or order a new drive piece. You could optionally replace the complete sending unit.

Glenn
Old 06-06-2016

This is an old thread, but I'm happy to report my bus is now up to speed! I finally found a local diesel mechanic with lots of 6V92 experience. He took a look and found that the governor linkage to one side of the engine had disconnected itself - it was only running on 3 cylinders! Most recent observed top speed was 76 mph, which was faster than I wanted to go, although the coach was comfortable. That steering stabilizer and Koni shocks make a difference!

Anyway, to all who contributed, my thanks, and yes the bus is for sale!