Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 03-13-2018

Default 1988 WB40 Alternator belt servicing

Greetings friends — I’m currently wrenching on my “new to me” 1988 XXV with the 8V92 sexy beast, and find myself scratching my head, armpits and nostrils, trying to cipher how to get my new belts onto the lower alternator (it currently has none, but the alternator spins freely, so I’m hopeful). Do I actually have to pull off the back bumper to get to this thing? It’s buried from every angle that I see... Please have mercy and advise! Also, is there an upper unit on this model that is accessible from beneath the bed? Neither unit seems to be offering any ohm-alms, so I’m assuming that neither unit had been serviced in recent history, as none of the previous owners’ receipts show belt replacements...they exchanged fluids a lot, but seem to have neglected their rubbers, and left the juicy bits to me
Old 03-13-2018
Forum owner

Yes,i'm sure you will have an alternator on the front side of the engine.
Theres a hatch under the floor,lots of threads about how to get the hatch open,and one or 2 about how to make the hole bigger .
On the aternator hidden behind the bumper you can put belts on it without removing the bumper.
Raise the tailgate,and standing facing the engine put your right hand out and touch the cross member behind the bumper,about where your hand is you will see a 1'' hole drilled in the cross member,you insert a wobble socket on an extension into that hole to loosen the adjusting bolt on the alternator.
Everything else has to be done under the coach.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-13-2018

Default Thank you!

Thank you for the expertise, Randy — I did notice the hole, but was unclear as to whether it was an access point to the requisite bolt or not...hopefully, I will be able to wiggle a bar in somewhere to tension them...thank you for the quick reply.
Old 03-13-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88XXV View Post
Thank you for the expertise, Randy — I did notice the hole, but was unclear as to whether it was an access point to the requisite bolt or not...hopefully, I will be able to wiggle a bar in somewhere to tension them...thank you for the quick reply.
You can do it,use a bar and tension the belts from the bumper area,if it was easy little kids would be doing it!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-13-2018

When you get under the bed you will see the forward alternator. They both have 2 belts. Make sure the belts are well matched. It also makes it easier to cut out some more wood in the bedroom floor. Before you remove the metal cover trace around it with a sharpie. Then you will see the excess flooring that can safely be removed. While you are in there, check the coolant hoses. Replace if there is any question of life left. It’s $50 in parts and a good morning and part afternoon to save an 8V92.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=10297

Click image for larger version

Name:	9BF6C90B-3CA7-4B66-8AC6-7C28B2C6A3AB.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	54374

Tim, Dawn, Grace & Paul Mendenhall
And a handful of dogs
Brighton, Mi
'91 WB40
"The Mendenhauler"

2001 SOB (SOLD!)
734-32o-6353
Old 03-14-2018

The rear upper alternator can be done without removing the hatch, if you know a person with long arms and have a long extension for a ratchet wrench. It does take two people, but is doable, through the side door and engine hatch. One of my son's has a 39" arm length, so that really helped.