Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches Wanted

Coaches Wanted Looking to buy a particular coach? Place your request here.

Site Search:

Old 03-25-2019

Default Rainforest Ready FC.....

I miss my Prevost. It was wonderful and logged more than a million miles (800,000 before I bought it) transporting a rock and roll band. It was my home for three years.

It is now history and needs to be replaced with a Wanderlodge.

I can't have anything that big or heavy where I now live; but, now I realize that I really miss the freedom.

I would like to purchase a well maintained and LOVED older FC model, probably with the most powerful engine I can get. Now I will be traveling with my wife and dogs (much easier than musicians!); mostly in Belize, Mexico and the USA.

Reliability is key.

It can be ugly on the outside (safer when out in rural Belize) and tired in the inside; but, ideally everything mechanical needs to be uncompromised or easily put into that condition. I know things blow up; but, I can often be 100 miles from a mechanic and not always in a safe place. I always opt for airplane level maintenance and reliability. It is a huge bonus if it is cute as a button inside and out; but, not critical.

So, if you are planning to part with your old friend Wanderlodge I may be just the guy to buy it. I am in no hurry.

I want to buy your baby.

Lastly, as sort of a postscript: in the early 1980's I sold an amazing Blue Bird owned by my Father-in-Law (Robert Hedges from Excelsior Springs Missouri) right after he died. I was just starting a law practice and all I knew was that it was amazing and big. It would be ironic if I ended up buying that coach.

It is a small world.

AND....any tips on getting the right type of Bluebird for the Jungle.... I am all ears. I like as much power as possible (the Series 60 was wonderful with the 6 speed allison) and wonder if airbags are a terrible mistake. The roads in Belize are nearly as bad as Detroit with pot holes the size of basketballs. The FC is the only model which won't invite trouble where I live (all of the local busses are FC Bluebird passenger type busses and do not draw attention). ....and, there are a lot of steep roads winding through the mountains (hence the big motor).

Thank you all in advance for any help or advice.

Today I started pouring the foundation for an air conditioned garage to house your baby; so, she will be well cared for.

rob@rwl.net

Last edited by RobLambert; 03-25-2019 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2019
Forum owner

what year was the prevost?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-25-2019

I don't remember.... it was in perfect condition, nearly brand new and it was sold in 82 or 83. My Father-in-Law loved his baby. I can't even recall the color. It was special and had something which ground up and cooked the sewage which is all I remembered!!!

rob@rwl.net
Old 03-25-2019

Bet that tasted like s**t !!!
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 03-25-2019

Ahhh yes... I have heard stories about the krap-o-lytic converters in old coaches. Macerator pump with direct injection into the exhaust manifold after the last cylinder. Ya gotta admit... it was creative! The plume coming off those new diesels with the blue cat urine smells just as bad IMHO

Back to your thread... I think the coach that Dave Ward is selling would be a good one for where you live. A non-turbo 3208 short bus. Spring suspension, very simple mechanicals and a true "bus" chassis.

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=33526

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 03-25-2019

Thank You Shane.... Off to look now. You mention the spring suspension. I was worried about the air bags. Good reason for this????

rob@rwl.net
Old 03-26-2019

I think Mike Putz put it best a few years ago when discussing this era of coach in this thread: Post #10

1) The coach will not drain batteries from parasitic loads so you'll have to leave something on if you want to drain the batteries.

2) There's no Horton fan clutches to go out and ruin your radiator or have to dish out over $600 to replace.

3) Because the bus is so light none of the axles are overweight so you have lots of extra carrying capacity

4) Also since it is so light you can buy tires for only $315 brand new instead of $800 each.

5) You'll never have any airbags go bad so you won't have to worry about that on trips.

6) You can get under the bus safely anytime, anywhere without worry you could die performing maintenance.

7) You have more ground clearance for those occasional off-road camping spots where most others can't go.

8) You'll never be stranded because your slide out won't slide in.

9) You don't have to worry about those extra little turbo humps to trip over.

10) You'll get much better MPG with your little 210 HP CAT.

11) Your insurance could be as much as $400 per year.

12) You'll never get stuck because you forgot to raise your tag axle.

13) You can get "Historic Vehicle" plates.

14) Registration usually costs less than $30 per year

15) You'll never have slide issues with your genset

16) You'll never have a radiator leak with your genset

17) You'll never have air up problems or levelling issues

And I couldn't agree more!!!...in fact this post convinced me a few years ago before I bought my '77
virtue1@gmail.com