Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 01-01-2018

Thumbs up Winter Operations

I'll pug our own RV Video Blogger, Button and Loops.
This is their vblog on keeping the bus warm and running in the cold.
https://youtu.be/ItNiXgz7vhE

Also if you're looking for the little heaters that they use.. I found them at Walmart for $7.00 and they put out nicely - I like them more than light bulbs as I've melted a few things with bulbs when they tipped onto something. And they have tip sensors on the heaters - no thermostat so I copied Button and Loops and put them on timers.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soleil-Pe...Black/54562671
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 01-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM680 View Post
Joe:

I am not sure what the White Hat Guy was referring to, but here are my thoughts.

At maximum salt concentration, salt water will freeze at -5 degrees F.

Any damage to the container while freezing occurs will depend on the shape of the container, the rate of freezing, and is there room for the ice to expand unrestricted.

For instance, when I replaced my hot water heater, the owner's manual said not to be concerned about freezing the gallon of water that remained in the tank below the drain valve. I assumed this is because the water heater is a horizontal cylindrical tank with domed ends. This configuration allows the expanding ice to slide up the sides without damage.

Once you get into situations beyond this with pipe and tanks in a cold soak situation where there is no opportunity to add any heat, do you want to risk the -5 degree threshold with brine or the -40 degree pink stuff?

Cheers and have a Happy New Year
Just like everything else it depends ;}

In N. Arizona where I live it rairly get into the teens, so a little salt provides enough protection. A few handfuls of salt from my water softener get the freeze point into the 20's.

In this thread we're talking about temps in the mid 20's so salt should be enough...

When you start seeing temps lower than that its time to do more! Head south;}

Happy New Year!

YMMV, Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - FOR SALE!
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 01-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEd View Post
Whats crazy is this RV park is full and no one seems to be doing anything for the cold coming.
All water hoses still hooked up and people we talked to today just coming in had no idea it was going to get this cold.
Low of 26 Wednesday morning here on the south side of Houston, after Tuesday's 28 to barely 35 - the park has sent out the notice, they'll unhook our water hoses and drain their stalks this afternoon. My fresh tank is full, waste tanks dumped, and I think I'll salt that shower drain....

Debbie Huffman Grey
Finally full-timing / Kids in Houston, Texas
1985 PT-40 "Festina Lente"
1993 Toyota Pickup "Phoenix"
FMCA 424082 VB 1639 SKP 112690 GS Life Member
Old 01-01-2018

We made it for the first cold night. tonight will be the coldest they say. Our water still runs from the pump so that is not frozen.

Dam kids unplugged an extra plug we had going to our fridge so everything is melting. I just plugged it back in and its back on. And the people with the kids left. The parents come home late last night also making a lot of noise and yelling at the kid's teens.

Some folks from Alaska just pulled in across from us now.
(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 01-01-2018

Never winterized the bus in the ten years we've had it, but the first winter we had it I let the shower trap freeze due to ignorance. It cracked slightly at the bottom and now slowly drips out the few ounces of water it holds. I decided that I liked it that way. The trap is empty within five minutes of taking a shower and the tiny puddle dries quickly.
"The Aviary"
Old 01-01-2018

Ed, thanks for bringing up your concerns surrounding freezing! Like you, we're full-time in an old [going-on-thirty!] coach. Also, like you -- we're experiencing our first freeze! (We're at Coachcraft in Columbus, GA getting some work done. Otherwise, we'd be back "home" in central Florida where freezing temps are rare.)

Lots of good tips in this thread!
With one freezing night behind us (NYE), we have at least a few more to go.
Here's what we've done to winterize:
1. Disconnected water. We'd actually arrived at Coachcraft with a full fresh tank, since they've offered up free electric (50 amps!) but not a city water connection. (their outside spigot is wrapped against the freeze right now)
2. Turned water heater ON. Since it's located down in our water bay near the pump, keeping the heater on helps keep the whole area a little warmer.
3. Placed shop light in water bay. A warm incandescent bulb (50-60 watt) is clipped on the side opposite our water heater, pointed toward it and all drains/lines/pump. Between these two heat sources, the bay stays above freezing just fine. I've insulated some of the pipes, as well.
4. Emptied holding tank(s). Our grey tank is actually removed completely right now, as the main service item we're addressing here. We're not using water inside the coach. (they have a 3/4 bath inside the facility. We're using that for now.) No need to add salt or anything, since the lines are staying dry for the time being.
5. Drained ~1/2 of our fresh water & kept the drain line dripping. I know others have stated to keep a full tank, and I understand the idea that larger volumes are less likely to freeze. But... 50 gallons should stay warm about as well as 100 gallons. If ice DOES form, this gives it room to expand a bit. Not likely to happen, since our tank sits pretty much within the cabin... where we're keeping things nice and warm. (see below) I've left the drain line dripping slowly, at maybe 1/2 gallon ever hour or two, since it's exposed to the outdoors. Just call me paranoid.
6. Added plug-in heaters. Since our Webasto won't work with the radiator removed (another [surprise] service item) - I've added a Honeywell electric heater to supplement our one kick heater (a Broan aftermarket) -- which is installed below the cabinet under our kitchen sink. I've also got a smaller plug-in (on low, with thermostat near its lowest) set up in the bay where the grey tank would be. (I had this one in the water bay at first, but I liked the warm bulb idea better for this small a space)
With a blanket covering the open bay (door removed to get the tank out), any residual water in the tank/valves will be kept above freezing.
7. Drained all internal lines & kept water in toilet. This is an extra measure, since we're not using the water right now anyway. All lines are de-pressurized, and there's some water in the toilet just to keep the seal from drying/freezing/cracking.

Hope our approach makes sense, and helps others in some way. Feel free to tell me if some of this sounds crazy. A lot is based on research & advice from... (ahem) less insulated RVers.
As stated earlier, the Wanderlodge coaches are certainly a lot better off in this regard.

1991 Wanderlodge sp36
2000 Wrangler Sahara
Bluebird maps - user#450

Last edited by VirtualKamper_Lucas; 01-01-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Adding links to heaters
Old 01-01-2018

Here is another timely video.
Planning Our Winter RVing Secret ******!
Quote:
We're spending the entire winter in a cold climate, but on a 30-amp site with no propane readily available. We're mapping our a new secret ****** for winter RVing, heating only with electric power.
https://youtu.be/ggWhFZPAmig
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 01-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Here is another timely video.
Planning Our Winter RVing Secret ******!

https://youtu.be/ggWhFZPAmig
Regarding the video, I have appliances I can plug up separately into the 20A receptacle when on a 30A site. Sometimes it works, sometimes the campground has only a 30A breaker feeding your post, in which case plugging separately into the 20 only means you need to wake up the campground host to turn your power back on.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 01-02-2018
Learning about Bluebirds!

Here's another video for you. Not related to Wanderlodges but gives you a laugh at the deep freeze over the holidays. You may have to copy/paste into your browser...sorry about that...

https://www.facebook.com/robert.thie...5142709887517/
2009 Mini Cooper S 'Bert'
2013 BMW R1200GS ' Ernie'
Pokornikdani@gmail.com
Old 01-02-2018

Since I knew we would be in the cold till the new year, I set up some heat sources in the water and waste tank bays. Then to monitor the bays I bought a 4 sensor temperature monitor and placed sensors in the bays. I really didn't expect it to hover around zero for a week, or get to -12 this morning.

Here's a sideways picture of the temperatures when the outside ambient had warmed to a balmy -9. Temps are shown in the left (or bottom in this sideways picture) column.

the warmest temp is my water bay with the hot water heater, a 200W personal space heater, and a 1200W catalytic heater going in the bay. And of course there's the bluebird freeze heater warming up the pipe chase going to this bay and its turned up enough to make the bread on the kitchen counter dry like toast.

The next temp is the waste tank bay on the opposite side of the bus from the dump valves. There is one 200W personal space heater in this bay.

The third temp is the floor of my tank dump bay directly below the dump valves where 2 clamp on painters lights with old fashioned 60W bulbs are pointed at the valves about a foot from the temp sensor, assisted by 2 200W personal heaters (one of them real close to the shower drain trap.

The last temp is just in an unheated bay.

In the last few weeks, I have used several gallons of RV or windshield antifreeze down the drains and toilet. There's a few pounds of salt in the tanks also, just to make me feel good. So far there are no icicles growing on the bottom of the coach.

The moral of this story is no matter how much you think you are protected with a drop light, you may just be dreamin'
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.