Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 05-21-2019

Default Shaky Steering Wheel

When I purchased my Bluebird in June of 2018 my mind was spinning a mile a minute. I believe I was on cloud 9 for a few weeks. When I finally came down from cloud 9, I noticed on the very next trip the steering wheel had a lot of play. I noticed I was all over my lane. I didn’t recall this issue on my maiden voyage home. When I made it to my destination, I mentioned it to my nephew who drives a bus for the city of NY. He said he never noticed any Steering wheel play when he drove it. The next time we took the bus out I had my nephew drive and he noticed the play in the steering wheel. I told my nephew I also notice the bus bounces a lot, he said he noticed that too. On a more recent trip to Haverhill MA. I noticed there was very little steering wheel play and thought maybe its me getting use to driving the bus. But the bouncy part is still there. This past weekend my brother got behind the wheel of the bus for the first time and after a few minutes driving commented on how much play there is on the steering wheel and it was too bouncy for him. Aside from those observations my brother said it was a nice bus and he enjoyed driving it.
As I drive down the road and go over rough road surface, I can feel the front wheels shaking all the way up to the steering wheel. I’m no mechanic but it just doesn’t feel right when that happens. While going through the Blue box looking for any information on the driver and co-pilot seat, I came across a service bill which didn’t make sense to me regarding a replacement of a front shock. I thought maybe it could have something to do with how the steering wheel feels to me. Hopefully I attached the image correctly below. When I read the note, it struck me odd there would be welding and drilling holes to replace a shock. The bus does have a SAFE T PLUS steering control installed. A blue one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file-28.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	62035  
Old 05-21-2019
Administrator

Someone needs to check out that repair ,see if the shock is still attached.
Old 05-21-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Someone needs to check out that repair ,see if the shock is still attached.
I'm going to see if my nephew is available this weekend we'll take some pictures from underneath the bus.
Old 05-21-2019
Forum owner

theres has been a few shock mounts break off,lots of opinions why.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com