Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 11-02-2017
Turbokitty's Avatar
Turbokitty Turbokitty is offline
Timberlake Products Group
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Clearwater
Posts: 4,929
Default

If I had to replace one I would go with the 4.33 for sure!
__________________

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 11-02-2017
CarneyRacing's Avatar
CarneyRacing CarneyRacing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pewamo
Posts: 83
Default

I doubt this FC will ever tow a load over 5,000#. Probably the biggest would be a trailer with a UTV on it, or a tow dolly with a midsize car.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still considering, but leaning to 4.33.

This weekend I have to measure how much height clearance I have in the shop (it's not much...). I don't want to pull the third member and not get it out from under the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hohnstein View Post
Most people don't tow like we do Woody.
__________________
Steve & Alanna George
Pewamo, MI
1979 FC35 SB
250T, 4.33
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-02-2017
MRPutz MRPutz is offline
Burnin Up in Az. :-)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mesa
Posts: 4,183
Default

For what it's worth I have a 4.11 behind a 3208na on my 78FC35.

I can run all day long at 70mph and keep up with the big rigs as long as;
  1. There's no head wind of more than 1mph
  2. The incline is less than 1/2 degree
  3. Tires are at max rated pressure
  4. and I'm not trailering

So.. I hit the governor (2800rpm) at 75mph. Because I'm always towing something (car, jeep, trailer with toys) I'd like my cruising speed to be around 60-63mph. Also my hill climbing is so-so. I have to pull most long 7% grades in 1st at 17mph. So to fix that I installed nice bright LED flashers!

Bottom line is I wish i had a 4.55. I think it's a good compremise of all situations, towing, climbing, start-ability, and hill climbing. I am doing an engine swap starting in May and will finally have a 3208T 250HP for the old girl (Thanx Lucas & Ken)

So I'm sure it would be much better behind the 4.11 but again, would like to slow the trailer'ing down and would like better hill climbing. Also what you don't hear about is the "dead spot". Because of my 210hp engine and 4.11 gearing It's very hard to hold 50-55 as I'm out of my power band. So I HATE driving in California.

PS.. I do have a 2sp rear end I pulled off a gas bus but the ratio i 5.5/7.5 so not sure how much it would cost to have that changed and what options I'd have?
__________________
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][SIZE="4"]Michael & Tami Putz[/B][/SIZE]
78FC35SB & 83FC35SB[FONT=Arial] Wanderlodge[/FONT] - [FONT=Comic Sans MS]"[COLOR=blue][B]Putz'n Around[/B][/COLOR]"[/FONT]
'90 GL1500 Goldwing | '67 VW Rail | '82 CJ5 Jeep
eMail=[EMAIL="Mike.Putz@cox.net"]Mike.Putz@cox.net[/EMAIL] | Web=[url]http://mikeputz.com/[/url][COLOR=#0000ff]
Solar = [url]https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]FMCA #236459, [/I][I]Good Sam #17270530, [/I][I]Vintage Birds #1509[/I][/FONT][/CENTER]

Last edited by MRPutz; 11-02-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: add PS
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 11-02-2017
kybird's Avatar
kybird kybird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Louisville
Posts: 506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
For what it's worth I have a 4.11 behind a 3208na on my 78FC35.

I can run all day long at 70mph and keep up with the big rigs as long as;
  1. There's no head wind of more than 1mph
  2. The incline is less than 1/2 degree
  3. Tires are at max rated pressure
  4. and I'm not trailering

So.. I hit the governor (2800rpm) at 75mph. Because I'm always towing something (car, jeep, trailer with toys) I'd like my cruising speed to be around 60-63mph. Also my hill climbing is so-so. I have to pull most long 7% grades in 1st at 17mph. So to fix that I installed nice bright LED flashers!

Bottom line is I wish i had a 4.55. I think it's a good compremise of all situations, towing, climbing, start-ability, and hill climbing. I am doing an engine swap starting in May and will finally have a 3208T 250HP for the old girl (Thanx Lucas & Ken)

So I'm sure it would be much better behind the 4.11 but again, would like to slow the trailer'ing down and would like better hill climbing. Also what you don't hear about is the "dead spot". Because of my 210hp engine and 4.11 gearing It's very hard to hold 50-55 as I'm out of my power band. So I HATE driving in California.

PS.. I do have a 2sp rear end I pulled off a gas bus but the ratio i 5.5/7.5 so not sure how much it would cost to have that changed and what options I'd have?
We know about the 17 mph. We have seen 10 mph in the Mt on the east side. But that's pulling a 20 enclosed trailer with a full size Buick in it. Meet allot of friends this way. I did install new LED lights. So I can flash away also
__________________
Rodney and Pam Hack
Louisville,Ky
1980 BlueBird FC35RB (sold)
1986 PT40
1984 Ford GT Turbo Mustang
FMCA # F468571
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11-02-2017
Bad Latitude Bad Latitude is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Shalimar
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kybird View Post
We know about the 17 mph. We have seen 10 mph in the Mt on the east side. But that's pulling a 20 enclosed trailer with a full size Buick in it. Meet allot of friends this way. I did install new LED lights. So I can flash away also
"Meet a lot of friends this way"...LOL
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bill & Tracy Lott[FONT="Arial"][I][/I][/FONT]
87 FC35 "Traveller"
Shalimar, Florida
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-28-2018
CarneyRacing's Avatar
CarneyRacing CarneyRacing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Pewamo
Posts: 83
Default

I finished up the swap from 5.29 to 4.33 this week. Set off on our maiden voyage yesterday (just a few hours) and the 4.33 is perfect. We hit some pretty steep hills backroading to Petoskey, MI, and it did great. Couldn’t be happier.
__________________
Steve & Alanna George
Pewamo, MI
1979 FC35 SB
250T, 4.33
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 10-20-2019
billyrb's Avatar
billyrb billyrb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Acworth
Posts: 129
Default

bringing this thread up from a year ago, still liking the 4.33 ratio? I have a 3208 NA with 5.29, and the top speed kills me. Not that I need to be doing 90, but would rather change and have something that would get me to places I want to go a bit sooner, and hopefully with better mileage.
__________________
Ryan Hart
Acworth, GA
1978 Wanderlodge FC33 RB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WanderlodgeFCOwners/
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 10-20-2019
Mike Hohnstein's Avatar
Mike Hohnstein Mike Hohnstein is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Milwaukee Metro Area
Posts: 4,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrb View Post
bringing this thread up from a year ago, still liking the 4.33 ratio? I have a 3208 NA with 5.29, and the top speed kills me. Not that I need to be doing 90, but would rather change and have something that would get me to places I want to go a bit sooner, and hopefully with better mileage.
Note the turbo charged engine.
__________________
Mike Hohnstein
FMCA 97824
'83FC35rb
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 10-20-2019
Oldschool Oldschool is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Madison
Posts: 131
Default

The 83 FC 31 I bought has a 4:68 in from factory and does great.
__________________

Tony Welch
Madison, Virginia
1986 PT 36
1983 FC 31
1986 23ft Travelmaster
mctireman@gmail.com
540-718-3392
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 10-20-2019
rwoody's Avatar
rwoody rwoody is offline
ANOTHER REDNECK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pleasanton
Posts: 5,627
Default

i did do one with 4.44
worked great NA version..
__________________
RWoody
2003 LX Single Slide Hauling Wood 5
2 miles east from Texas Highway 37-97
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
changeing gear Dctrcarter Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. 1 04-27-2010 08:53 PM
Transmission Won't go into Gear Lee Davis Transmission 10 10-23-2009 09:21 AM
Transmission will not go into gear Dctrcarter Transmission 37 08-31-2009 02:29 PM
Differential gear oil wayne kotila Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems 1 08-17-2009 06:59 PM
steering gear Crit Bliss FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) 4 08-11-2008 07:39 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.