Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-27-2019

Default Air Step part leaking

I'm chasing air leaks. When the step is out this part is leaking air. Not sure exactly what it does. Adjusting the screw doesn't seem to affect the leak. When the step is in there is no leak so I guess it's not critical.

What does adjusting the screw do? What is the function?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191227_104820.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	65661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191227_104923.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	65662  
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 12-27-2019
Gardner

It is an adjustable muffler. It is used on the output where air escapes when the cylinder is in motion. Air pressure is applied to one side of the cylinder to open the step. The air on the other side of the cylinder is pushed out by the moving piston. When the step is moved in the air is applied to the opposite side of the cylinder piston and the trapped air is released through the other muffler. The muffler can be adjusted to control the speed of the step.

The issue is air leaking passed the piston seal. It could also be bad seals in the solenoid valve, but try some MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil)

The step solenoid basically reverses the input/output sides of the cylinder to move in the right direction.

If air is leaking out of one of the mufflers after the step has come to rest (in or out) then inject a little MMO into the air supply side of the step solenoid cylinder to wet the piston seal and solenoid seals. I just connect a piece of airline from my shop air and put some MMO in it, then exercise it.

Here is a quick diagram. It is a functional diagram, I do not know which is in or out on the one you have in your coach. Not all look the same, but they all work the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AirStepOperation.pdf (20.5 KB, 34 views)
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 12-27-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-27-2019
Forum owner

The only thing Gardner left out is to be very careful under the bus,and that step can take your head or fingers off.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-28-2019

I had the same issue and replaced the valve with one from Dupree Products. It turned out to be the piston seal that is leaking and I will just tolerate it for now.
Old 12-28-2019

Thanks everyone!

Gardner, as always, I really appreciate your expertise. The diagram clears up what is going on. Randy, I'm pretty paranoid about getting crushed! I carry two jack stands and do either the front or the back. I have the step out and have the step switch off, and am careful about triggering it. Mike, the solenoid is not inexpensive. I think I'll try Gardner's suggestion about getting some oil into the system. Maybe it will make its way to the piston. If not, it really isn't horrible and I can live with the air going down in about 15 minutes after I stop the engine.

I'll post again after I try the oil.
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 12-28-2019
Forum owner

One thing you should do as well,clean the filters on the control valve.
I buy those control valves on ebay.
Or from Fabco-air,its a 14GG4 on there website.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-28-2019
Gardner

When I first got this coach the mufflers were adjusted for a very slow step movement. Due to the leaky piston seal it would hang up half way out or in. I opened the mufflers fully so it would move fast, and that allowed it to open and close without hanging up.

The second issue was it not going back in, getting hung up. I found that the mechanism hits against some rubber bumper material on top when open and it had worn so it went too far and the overcenter mechanism would not release. Fresh rubber bumper material fixed that.

I also started using air tool oil as it (so I have been told) less likely to damage rubber components over the long term.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 12-28-2019 at 05:55 PM.