Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Why go to all that work and put a weak trans in it?
You know you will be wanting to upsize the HP on the DT,put a 3000 series in it and build as much HP as you want/can afford.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

for the 3000 series, my limited understanding is that there isn't support for the 3000 with regards to aftermarket tuning. Isn't the 3060 an early 3000 series, and why there is such a problem with using them in swapped applications? The place I spoke to yesterday only deals in the 2000 series (waiting on them to reply regarding the 3000's and why they don't offer support).

For the rating, from what they said (of course, no firm data backing it yet), the trans was conservatively rated at 32k, and supposedly is easily able to handle much more with proper tuning, a well-monitored trans temp gauge and staying in the correct operating temp (ie: not run too cold or too hot). But still looking, as this will be a long-term thing before I do the swap (probably next year or the year after).
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WanderlodgeFCOwners/
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I don't understand. What do they need to "tune" in a 3000? This sounds like a diesel tuner shop, as in pickemup trucks. They probably use HPTuners to tune a 1000, but it won't do a 3000 since it never came in any pickups. There are a zillion commercial applications for a 3060 that you should just be able to bolt in, no? I'm sure an Allison shop, a real one, can dump different programs into the 3060 to match the configuration you'll have.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

nope, not a diesel tuner shop. highly recommended (from high end custom builders I trust) dedicated allison 2k shop. Was able to get the owner on the phone a few minutes ago, and while they specialize in the 2000, they CAN set up a 3060. More hassle / time / work, which is why they don't advertise it. He has done it before for several friends that put a 3060 into custom applications / buses / RV's that didn't originally have them. I'll source the trans and related components, and they'll build the harness and have all the tuning info. He has original computers and all the codes required to get the programs directly from Allison (can do Autocal or convert the signal if not). So, looks like the 3060 idea is back on.

As for the comment you made "I'm sure an Allison shop, a real one, can dump different programs into the 3060 to match the configuration you'll have", that seems to be the problem is that no shop is willing or able to do that, other than this one place I've found. Now there may be shops out there that can, but after dozens and dozens of calls, and days of surfing the old interwebs, the place I talked to today is thus far the only one I've found that can / will. Now if I had an original set up that had the 3060 from the factory, a small handful said they could get the program from allison, but wouldn't do anything on a swapped application, and also wouldn't do any adjustments / etc.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WanderlodgeFCOwners/
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Allison does not support using the 3000 series is engine trans swaps.
Woody and i were lucky that we found someone to do a computer "upgrade" for us,we had a 4 speed trans and needed it to be 6 speeds,we used a BMC 37 trans program and it worked just fine.
What you have to have is a trans computer program from something thats close to what you need,the BMC 37 was perfect for our needs.
They say theres a million variables when you reprogram the computer.
Allison wants to know rearend ratios,tire size,engine rpms and all kinds of stuff.
They are concerned *** driveshaft speeds and U joints.
They are covering their butt,and i can't blame them.
Recently a friend of mine bought a fire truck,a frieghtliner,he took the bed off and built a flatbed and was going to use it as a hotshot truck,it had a 4 speed 3060 in it and it was a 55mph truck.
He tried for months to get an allison shop or anybody else to reprogram it to 6 speeds.
I think he finally bought a computer from ebay that worked for his needs.
He had an 8.3 cummins in the truck.
If i was doing this,i would have bought a wrecked RV with the engine,trans and everything needed to repower the bus.
Thats what i did for my 71,i bought an ambulance and used the engine,trans and harness out of it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Yep, I remember Woody putting out the call for BMC Allison software number. It was on a label on the outside of the computer. I sent him mine. Seems to have worked out fine.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad