Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 09-21-2014

Default Dan & Mel's Maine Trip

Well, we started our trip on Wed, Sept. 10 after Mel got off work. We made it to the Taste of New Paltz Rally on Thursday afternoon. What a great bunch of people and what a beautiful area. We'll definitely try to get back to this one. Our GPS took us on a bit of a goose chase there and we went up then down a pretty steep, tight mountain on 9 West. The bird was fine....I left finger marks in the steering wheel. Low gear up...Low Gear down...we made it.

Friday, Shane and company had a look at my generator. then we set off for our campground near Portland Maine. Should have taken us 5 or 6 hours but traffic turned it into almost 9 hours with 3 or 4 of them in grueling rush hour traffic on 495 around Boston

We made it to Wassamki Springs Campground just as it turned dark on Friday. This is a beautiful campground but the individual sites are pretty tight, back in sandy spots. While disconnecting the towed, I noticed that the tail lights on the bird weren't working. After some trouble shooting, I gave Rick a call. He suggested looking at the switch. This turned out to be the problem and with a bit of fiddling, got things working again. I stopped at every NAPA, Car Quest, etc. trying to find a replacement (NAPA # HL6669...I think) with no luck. They could order me one but it it would take a few days but I didn't have time to wait.

We had a great couple of days exploring the Portland area. Mel had some great seafood....I tried but I just can't acquire a taste for it I guess. Portland Head Light is really beautiful.

On Monday morning, we headed to our next spot in Hermon Maine which is close to Bangor, Pleasant Hill Campground. This is a really pretty campground, lots of shade. Our spot was a pull through and while it didn't look level, the bird was pretty much level without use of the jacks. We explored Bar Harbor and the surrounding area, ate some great food. Took a harbor/nature cruise out of North East Harbor. This was a really nice 3.5 hour trip. We drove around Acadia National park and up Cadillac Mountain. What a beautiful area...we drove all over Mount Desert Island.

My favorite day trip was on our last day there. We took U.S. 1 East to 186 down to Winter Harbor. Winter Harbor is a quiet little town, not much there but we love it. This gets you away from most of the tourists. Just outside of Winter Harbor is another loop in Acadia National Park. This is STUNNING! We meandered on 186 and 1 making it to the towns of Corea, Addison and some other places along the way. These are working towns. The harbors are full of lobster boats but very few pleasure boats. I really enjoyed exploring this area.

The weather was PERFECT pretty much every day. We had blue skies and temps in the mid 60s in the daytime down to mid 40s at night. Thursday night, our last night before heading home, we had a hard frost when it got to around 30.

Friday, the 19th, we got an early start for home. The trip was SOOOOO much nicer this time as we missed rush hour traffic around Boston. We made it to Herkimer New York and stayed in the Wal Mart parking lot. Well lit, level and quiet. Unfortunately, about 2:30 a.m. our generator problem returned. The engine died and would not even crank. I suspect one of the switches in the ignition circuit is kaput but at 02:30, I wasn't going to fool with it. I tried using the inverter but it too crapped out and I put it on the list of things to fix when we got home.

Saturday, we hit the road for home around 07:30. I didn't know if we'd make it but we were going to give it a shot. The weather was cooperating once again and we had perfect weather, albeit windy as heck. We made several stops along the way for stretching, cat naps and food. Without the generator, it was pretty warm in the bird. The dash air kind of works but the further we got, the hotter. As the sun started setting, it cooled off nicely. Just at dark, we made it to our local Pilot to dump the holding tanks. I'd been holding off on turning the lights on because I didn't know if the switch would hold up. Crossing my fingers, I hit the head light switch and everything came on. We got to the garage in the dark, unloaded and were home by 9:30 p.m.

All in all, this was a great trip. Met some really nice folks, had some good food and saw some spectacular scenery.

Observations: Heading East again, I will do the "northern" route across I90 as opposed to the "southern" route across I 70/76. The roads are much smoother across I 90 and there aren't as many mountains. For those of you that have not used it, EZ-Pass is FANTASTIC! It makes going across the turnpikes a breeze.

I'll post pics when I get them off the phones and formatted for WOG.

https://www.wassamkisprings.com/

http://www.pleasanthillcampground.com/index.html
Old 09-21-2014

Can hardly wait for the pictures Dan. Thanks for the trip report.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-21-2014

Glad to hear that you two had a great trip with no big problems. We want to make a trip to Maine as well.
We'll have to have you guys down in a couple of weeks.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 09-21-2014
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bird View Post
Glad to hear that you two had a great trip with no big problems. We want to make a trip to Maine as well.
We'll have to have you guys down in a couple of weeks.

I could use a crew member when I race the Wabbit at Loring in mid July of 2015 in Limestone, Maine.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I could use a crew member when I race the Wabbit at Loring in mid July of 2015 in Limestone, Maine.
Don't know for sure that I can make that work, but I like the idea !
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio