Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-09-2018

Default ENGINE PROTECT light while idling

Subject line : 2000 LXI WB 40
stays on while idling. Is this normal? My family had a family crisis and my husband is out of town. We have been parked for almost 8 months at a campground and have been starting and idling the coach at least once per month. I have been the one doing this but I don't know if I just haven't been observant ( I'm typically over-observant if there is such a thing) but when I noticed this light and the fact that it is red. It alarmed me.
Please bear with me while my husband is gone. He honestly has taught me a lot its just I am very uncertain of my judgement with the coach sometimes. Thanks for your help in advance.
2010 Sprinter conversion " Roadrunner" (driving toad)
10' Cargo Trailer " The Egg"

Last edited by Paris; 01-09-2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I didn't put 2000 LX in the subject line
Old 01-09-2018

If it's been sitting I would check the antifreeze level. I'm not completely sure with the Lx's but low water will trigger check engine. Next time you start it pay attention to the oil pressure. You want oil pressure!
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 01-09-2018

Starting and idling isn't the thing to do. Better to just keep the engine block heater on, however sitting cold won't hurt it either. What you're doing will degrade cylinder seal @ the piston rings.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-09-2018

Mike is right. Don't let that engine sit and idle. Turn on the engine heater from the aqua hot.

That red light could be a low voltage warning from starting the engine. When we first bought our LX that light would come on and show a low voltage code. While watching the start battery gauge it would drop to 10.5 volts. If I hit the combiner switch the light would not come on. fixed itself after battery maintenance and a few hundred miles driving.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-09-2018
ANOTHER REDNECK

mine does this every now and again ..no codes show..just restart and live happy

i think its a low voltage that triggers it ..never had a problem yet
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 01-10-2018

It is probably the radiator reservoir tank, which holds a gallon or two of radiator coolant, is low or empty. My LXI does the same thing and I noticed that the eye ball on the tank, which can be seen through the upper slats of the engine cover on the back of the coach, did not show any coolant after sitting about a month. I determined that as Randy Dupree has indicated, the hose that goes from the tank to the top of the head area, on the engine, started to leak. If you look under the coach, at the rear, you may see some dampness. As other people have said, just keep the engine warm, during really cold temps, like under 20 degrees by either using the Engine block heater, which is located behind the panel under the kitchen sink, if you have one, or use the Aquahot engine heater option. If you decide to put some coolant in that tank, the fill area is the lid above the big engine door at the rear of the coach. Open that small door and you will see a radiator cap. Just so you know, if you're going to start the coach every so often, you should drive it for a few miles. This is better than just letting it idle.
Old 01-10-2018

If you have never taken a radiator cap off make sure the engine is cool. The caps are spring loaded. They are usually easy to take off but it can be difficult to depress the spring enough to replace it correctly. You’ll need a short ladder as it is up high, has what I find to be a weird angle and in a small compartment. Anyway the cap shouldn’t rattle if you have it re-seated correctly.
2013 Lincoln MKX (toad)
alan.darson@gmail.com
Old 01-11-2018

What about low oil pressure? If there is an oil leak, 8 months of sitting may start adding up if nobody is checking. If they are sitting on gravel, there might not even be a noticeable spot.
Old 01-11-2018
ANOTHER REDNECK

all good points but mine is good on oil pressure thru a real gauge and water too spent most of a day trying to see a problem and low voltage keep coming up the top ''

new batts and cables all cleaned did the job..don't forget the gen set batt up front as that was my main problem running down the big banks
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 01-15-2018

Thank you all for such great ideas and replies. On super cold nights below freezing I have kept engine heater on. Im not sure where we were told to start it but I am okay with not starting it so good to know.
I don't see any fluids on the ground. When I stated oil pressure etc was good.
I do have a bad alternator ( what I have been told) for generator. So until I can find someone to fix it and I can order the alternator I have a trickle charge on it only because of winter weather warnings. Otherwise generator won't start.
Ill check coolant as soon as this bad weather passes in a couple of days. Thank you all again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help.
2010 Sprinter conversion " Roadrunner" (driving toad)
10' Cargo Trailer " The Egg"