Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 07-03-2009

Default campground etiquette

A rig pulled into the campground we are at today, in the site in front of us, with our rig between them and the laundry. With the 4 folks in the rig, they each walked right past our windows and door, between our table/grill and rv at least 3 times each to the laundry and back before I asked them to find another route. They stopped, looked at me, said nothing and walked off - but did find another route. They are not in a rental rig, and have a toad on a dolly - so they are not brand new RVers.

Here are some etiquette pointers I found elsewhere on the net:

Most RVers are considerate of fellow campers when staying at a campground. A good rule of thumb is to treat others as you would like to be treated. If we all follow these simple campground etiquette tips, everyone in the campground will have an enjoyable and safe camping experience.

Shhh… Keep it quiet! Don’t blare the radio, stereo or TV – especially late at night or early in the morning – when others are trying to sleep.

No trespassing. If you’re walking around the campground, do not walk through other occupied campsites, even if it would make it easier to get to washrooms, dumpster or other park locations. Walking through another person’s campsite is a major no-no. Respect your neighbors’ privacy and stay on the roads and pathways.

Pet etiquette Keep your pet on a leash at all times. Many RVers love animals but they don’t want your dog running through their campsite. Also, stop excessive barking, and don’t leave a howling dog unattended.

More pet peeves. Do pick up after your dog. Nothing spoils a walk more than stepping in dog-do. Bring a scoop or plastic bag to pick up and dispose of properly. Special bags can be found at pet supply stores. Some camp stores carry them as well.

Late arrivals, early departures. If you arrive late at a park, try to set keep set-up to a minimum. Your neighbors will be more understanding if they don’t have to listen to loud voices, slamming doors or an idling engine. Use the same consideration if you have to leave early the next morning.

Keep it clean! Don't leave trash at your campsite. The smell alone may bring unwelcome furry visitors while you sleep or when you leave your site for a hike. Take your trash to the park provided garbage bin and recycling containers.

Follow the posted speed limits in the campground. Speeding through the campground serves no purpose and is dangerous for the people on foot or riding bikes.

Possibly the most widely accepted one is you never, ever walk through an occupied campsite. Often that means walking around an entire block to get to the next row of RVs, payphones, showers, newspaper stands, trash dumpsters, etc. Educate your children as well on this point. It simply breaks up the serenity, tranquility and privacy too much. While few RVers seek absolute privacy, and it may be impossible to obtain given the usual closeness of neighbors, common sense prevails.
Old 07-04-2009

Amen brother!!
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 07-04-2009
Complete Greenhorn

Thanks for the info. It is all common sense and courtesy, normal social interaction skills, but may help a newbie like me from making a blunder.

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man
Old 07-04-2009
ANOTHER REDNECK

this is why i dont do campgrounds
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 07-04-2009
Forum owner

I do very few campgrounds,i guess because i'm always on the move,looking for something to get into!
Of course.I'm not a full timer like so many of you guys.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-04-2009

Walking through an occupied campsite is about the most inconsiderate action any camper will do.
I think it also shows a laziness more than anything else.
Of course most of those rules that Dan listed in his post are broken because of laziness.
Old 07-04-2009
WanderBee

I always viewed a campsite as someone's house. And, walking through an occupied campsite is like walking through their living room.
Marietta, GA
Old 07-04-2009

We have only stayed at 3 KOA's, but at all three we had people just walk thru our site.
Being the nice person I am, I told them since they didn't pay for this spot it was mine and find another way to get where they needed to go.
One old fart, older than me, said "You don't own this site, and I will walk where I want", so I told him, please, please walk thru my site again and see what happens to you. I would have confronted him, face to face and made him go around me...would have been tough to do as I am quite round!!
Fortunally he didn't test me.
We don't stay at KOA's anymore and don't miss them. We will dry camp at some store before we stay at them again.
Old 07-04-2009

Interesting enough,
I was going to post that I notice the "trespassing" at KOA's more than anywhere else.

Is there that many "rookie campers" out there??

Maybe so.
Old 07-04-2009

Have you ever noticed that there seems to be a requirement to be a KOA: there must be train tracks immediately adjacent the campground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hulse View Post
Interesting enough,
I was going to post that I notice the "trespassing" at KOA's more than anywhere else.

Is there that many "rookie campers" out there??

Maybe so.