Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 10-24-2019
Forum owner

The south is like that,people helping people.
We have the truck fueled up,if you need help we will be there in an hour.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-24-2019

I just realized the other filters were in there, need more coffee!

The plumbing matches your diagram except the tee fitting on the return line from the motor and valve is on the bottom of the reservoir. Everything looks like it's correctly plumbed.

I can't imagine any combination of plugged filters or messed up valve that could have caused this. The fluid that spilled out had that hydraulic oil odor to it. It had a light straw color, not burnt at all. I filled it with motor oil after we did the motor 2 years ago, but we did not blow out any lines or anything, so there was a mix of fluids in there apparently.

The power steering worked better and smoother than ever last night after I installed the motor bypass and probably 9 qts of 10-40 (all they had at the Dollar General). We had to do a 50 point turn to turn around where we were and it steered perfectly on pavement at idle. Previously, especially when cold, it was hard to turn when not moving.
Old 10-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
The south is like that,people helping people.
We have the truck fueled up,if you need help we will be there in an hour.
Yes it is, I like it down here! Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind! The good news is that I got the lines off the motor with some goofy wrenches the hydraulic guy has. A 1.5" and 1.625" crows foot are on the shopping list and I will never leave home without them. I can get my fingers on the fan blade bolts without too many cuss words. Then I will take the 2 mounting bolts out of the motor and drop it on my head. I don't have the big round transmission cooler in the way under there, it's wide open.
Old 10-24-2019

thinking out loud: if the filters in the reservoir are plugged up that would cause the pressure in the hydraulic system as a whole to go up by pressurizing the return line from the power steering gear, which would cause less power steering assist and also pressurise the system back to the fan motor through the return since they are just two ports on the same circuit. No?
Old 10-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Yes it is, I like it down here! Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind! The good news is that I got the lines off the motor with some goofy wrenches the hydraulic guy has. A 1.5" and 1.625" crows foot are on the shopping list and I will never leave home without them. I can get my fingers on the fan blade bolts without too many cuss words. Then I will take the 2 mounting bolts out of the motor and drop it on my head. I don't have the big round transmission cooler in the way under there, it's wide open.
Yea I need to get a couple of those big crows foot wrenches too... BTW, the fan hub will probably not fit through the hole in the mounting bracket. You have to pull the fan hub to get the motor out, at least I did on mine. If I had to do it in the future, I was just going to pull the bolts holding the two angle iron brackets and pull the hub off once I get it out of the bus.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 10-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
Yea I need to get a couple of those big crows foot wrenches too... BTW, the fan hub will probably not fit through the hole in the mounting bracket. You have to pull the fan hub to get the motor out, at least I did on mine. If I had to do it in the future, I was just going to pull the bolts holding the two angle iron brackets and pull the hub off once I get it out of the bus.
It's going to be tough to get to that rear bolt on the angle iron, but I was thinking the same thing.
Old 10-24-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
thinking out loud: if the filters in the reservoir are plugged up that would cause the pressure in the hydraulic system as a whole to go up by pressurizing the return line from the power steering gear, which would cause less power steering assist and also pressurise the system back to the fan motor through the return since they are just two ports on the same circuit. No?

I think your right.
I have a used motor here i think,no history on it at all.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-24-2019

Quote:
Thats a possibility, but since you said it got better once you removed the fan from the mix, that seems to mean that the fan motor had something to do with it. Those filters would still have been in play when you were driving with the fan bypassed. Sounds like the fan motor was taking too much of the fluid from the system? Pump may be going out? I am no hydraulics expert, just have the knowledge from having done my system recently. My power steering works pretty good all the time, so wondering if the pump may have an issue, could cause a pressure spike in the system?

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 10-24-2019

Hi Andy, I just saw your post. It sounds like you’ve got plenty of support now but I’m only 1 1/2 hours away if there’s anything I do to help.
Shalimar, Florida
Old 10-24-2019

Did not this same thing happen to another fan pump this summer? HP should not get past the main shaft seal (and behind the rubber seal)?
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835