Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 11-01-2019

Default 6v/8v Hydraulic pump (brainstorming)

I am doing research on the hydraulic pumps as I'm changing everything around with the fan motor/valve. I believe the pumps that the 6v and 8v coaches use have a flow divider on the rear? Or is this something else ? What's the small hex deal for, is that a high pressure bypass or some kind of adjustment for the flow divider?

I am thinking about replacing the original pump with something more common. It's got a generic mounting pattern and there are a lot of plain old straight up gear pumps available for not much money that would bolt on. That would make replacements easy to find. I think the stock pump is a 194K, which is basically 2 ci/rev. I would need an external flow divider then, which might also be advantageous, not sure yet.

Here's a picture of Shane's pump, it's just like mine:

Old 11-01-2019

Andy, you might want to check out my post here
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=29332
That has the pump number I used to replace the one in my 83. I don’t think you need a splitter. What you need, I think is a two stage pump like what I used, just make sure you use the correct ports.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 11-01-2019

194KB5AX isn't a 2 stage pump though, it is a single stage pump with a flow divider on it like the later 83 and newer isn't it?

Got any pictures of it?
Old 11-01-2019
ANOTHER REDNECK

high pressure is needed for Power steering

the design is needed to make it function off same pump
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 11-01-2019

OK, but it's just a flow divider, yes?
Old 11-03-2019

If the pressure relief valve/ fan control switch in the fan motor circuit is in fact a relief, I would think that is only a flow divider in the pump. Both circuits have to have a relief. The steering circuit uses the poppet valve in the steering box. Does the fan control valve have any adjustment screws on it?
Virginia Beach VA
Old 11-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Beth View Post
Does the fan control valve have any adjustment screws on it?
Yes, it has a pressure adjustment on the top of the valve. I had it all apart last week, here's a photo of its guts. I think the pressure is supposed to be set to 2200 psi, I read that somewhere on here.

Old 11-03-2019

Maybe by figuring out what the steering box manufacture requires.... gpm and pressure, you can figure the fan motor circuit. A hyd shop might be able to bench test your pump and adj the flow and set the relief on the fan control/ relief valve. I would think the fan circuit would have a lower relief than the steering. That could be a starting point unless the info is on here somewhere. I haven't searched for it.
Virginia Beach VA
Old 11-03-2019

I have a good hydraulic pressure gauge to test this stuff. Bob stated in his thread:

"The Primary and Secondary ports produced less than 4 gallons per minute and the 3/4” port produced 13.5 GPM."

On the back of the pump there is what looks like an adjustment screw - is it to get the pressure on the steering circuit? Or some kind of magic flow control adjustment?

I am going to change my fan motor and control valve over to the ones the S60 coaches use (PWM) and I want to replace/rebuild the pump while I'm at it. I think if I get it off of there I can figure out how it's set up, but I'm trying to make a plan before I tear it all apart. It would be really nice to be able to just put any old hydraulic pump on there and have an external flow control for the steering. The splines and flange on the hyd pump are generic and common. A plain old pump with 1 suction and 1 outlet port is $200-400 and available everywhere.
Old 11-03-2019

I'm thinking the adj is for the gpm of the two circuits. If you switch over to a generic pump with one output port you will have to incorporate a stand alone flow divider. You still need to know how much flow is required for each circuit to spec out your new pump and divider.
Virginia Beach VA