Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-10-2019

Default Garage Engine Venting

Thinking of a good method to vent engine when running in pole barn without spending a bucket of money for an extraction system. Had thoughts of installing an 8" insulated section of stovepipe through the side of barn then neck down to 6" flex of some sort to slip over the exhaust stack. I only have a total run of around 5-6'.
How do others do this, any thoughts?

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43
Old 12-10-2019

Hi Dale, this is one. https://www.crushproof.com/. Not sure how costly it is. Exhaust fan in roof or wall would probably be less $
F110660
Old 12-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees View Post
Hi Dale, this is one. https://www.crushproof.com/. Not sure how costly it is. Exhaust fan in roof or wall would probably be less $

Thanks for the suggestion Tim. I gave them a call. Without an exhauster they recommend flexible stainless which they don't carry. I checked McMaster-Carr and they carry it. I think I can make this work, just gotta scrounge up some parts. I'd like do similar for genny and aqua hot.

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43
Old 12-10-2019
Gardner

Place a couple of CO detectors to be sure the air is safe. Breezes outside can push the CO right back in.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-10-2019
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Dale we have an insulated building with heat, very tight building. We installed an old squirrel cage far in the high part of the gable, with a switch. The overhead door, we drilled a lock hole about two inched up to allow air in. Not good in extreemly cold weather, but works great in mild. We can run the engine, AquaHot, Generator with not worries. Also allow the roof airs to be run in hot weather.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 12-10-2019

Gardner, yes CO detectors are a really good idea.
Mallie that's a different idea than I was thinking of, that's why I asked. I'm quite sure folks are running their birds in garages, if not just to warm up before driving out.
I installed a box fan with louvers years ago in our horse barn to cool it, it moves alot of air.
Not insulated yet, that's next.
Thanks for the ideas.

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43
Old 12-11-2019

I went with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Birdless for now.
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 12-11-2019

Nice Randy, between you and Mallie you're changing my way of thinking. The fan that Randy posted from Amazon pushes out 3400 cfm and if I'm reading things right at high idle I should be pushing out around 2000 cfm. Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong. This would allow one penetration through wall for all engines (DD60, AH and Gen) rather than three individual penetrations.
I've added it to my wish list.

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43
Old 12-11-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcash View Post
Nice Randy, between you and Mallie you're changing my way of thinking. The fan that Randy posted from Amazon pushes out 3400 cfm and if I'm reading things right at high idle I should be pushing out around 2000 cfm. Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong. This would allow one penetration through wall for all engines (DD60, AH and Gen) rather than three individual penetrations.
I've added it to my wish list.
Dale, since you live in the same climate as I do, discharging all that air to the great outdoors, I would lose all my heat from the barn in the winter. The ideas mentioned so far are all not just selecting exhaust gases but inside heated air also. I have taken flex pipe and foil tape to exhaust generator exhaust gases outside. With a sealed system only the exhaust gases will be sent out and not heated garage air along with it. I don't exhaust the Detroit's gases because I don't run it inside that much only to start it and back it out. But I think your original idea sounded fine to keep the heat in the garage. Like I said, I exhaust the generator gases out, because when we lose power out here in the sticks, we move out to the bus. I turn on the generator and we are nice and comfortable and all the exhaust goes outside and what heat is generated by my pellet stove stays in the garage. The pellet stove is plugged into the bus when the power fails. I have too much stuff out in the garage that I don't want freezing temps to get to, including the bus. Just my opinion but a sealed exhaust system seems preferable in our climate.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-11-2019

Jim, thanks for chiming in. You bring up some good points. I'm not insulated and heated yet but plan on it happening. This all started when I started it up last week without an adequate warm up period. On a good note it fired up right now. On the down side it fill the bay with smoke, large door was open. Another positive, it should have killed any lingering mice!

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43