Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-27-2019

Default Oil Change caused brakes to drag

I hope to keep this short and ask for ideas on what approach to take.

I had my oil changed yesterday at a "large chain" truck stop in the area. They were nice but unfamiliar with the coach. They changed the oil and I pointed out the function of the bulk oil fill which was about half full. They drained and replaced the oil in the bulk oil fill tank. I drove home (about 30 miles) with no problems. I pulled into a local diesel pump to top off the tank. When I pulled out of the station I noticed the coach did not have the power I am used to. I kept driving as I was only a couple miles from home. By the time I turned onto my street there was smoke pouring out of the rear wheel wells. I limped home and found a small fire had started on the drivers side drive axle. I hosed everything down and after a quick change of underwear, I assessed the damage. Apparently the truck stop failed to replace the cap on the bulk oil fill tank. The compressor was keeping up with the air loss for the long leg of the trip but the stop I made to top off seemed to bled more air from the brakes. After cranking back up the Low Air light and buzzer went off when the pressure came up, the pressure gauges looked good so I proceeded.

My hypothesis is that the cap being left off of the oil fill slowly drained the air system to the point where the spring brakes started to apply, but not fully enough to stop the coach. By the time I got home they were smoking hot. Not once did the low air light come on while rolling down the road. I know it works as it comes on with the buzzer until the gagues hit 80lbs or so.

My dilemma is what damage was done? After things cooled off I capped the oil fill and ran around the block with solid brakes and no heating on the rear axle. Are the brake drums and shoes toast? What caught fire, oil seal?

I cannot blame the truck stop for not replacing the cap on a vehicle that they have never seen in one of their bays before. I feel responsible for not following behind them to check these obvious things. But now with potential damage being done, I don't know what the ethical thing is to do from here???

Regards and Happy Holidays
Old 12-27-2019

The brake shoes are presumably ruined, maybe drums
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-27-2019

Would also suggest having all your axle seals replaced as they will be damaged from all the heat.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 12-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgremill View Post
I cannot blame the truck stop for not replacing the cap on a vehicle that they have never seen in one of their bays before. I feel responsible for not following behind them to check these obvious things. But now with potential damage being done, I don't know what the ethical thing is to do from here???
They are 100% at fault here, but I'm concerned that you had no way of preventing it? When the air pressure went down and the spring brake applied, didn't the parking brake valve pop back out, too?
Old 12-27-2019

Good point. Since I made the stop near home to top off and applied the parking brake I left the engine running. When I pulled away, it is possible that the parking brake popped back out out when I pushed it in to proceed. I thought the low air buzzer would have covered me if the parking brakes were engaged due to low air.

Thanks for the reply,
Chip
Old 12-27-2019

All these buzzers are old and or may not work
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-27-2019

You need to pull all the drums and inspect. They nay be out of round and the shoes may be bad. This could be a $10,000 repair. Talk to the shop and get a lawyer.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 12-27-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Leaving the cap off of the bulk oil tank shouldn’t have caused air loss unless the Allenair air solenoid that pressurizes the bulk oil tank was either energized or defective.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 12-27-2019

Yep, I found the solenoid switch in the on position with the cap off.
Old 12-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgremill View Post
Yep, I found the solenoid switch in the on position with the cap off.
That's one reason to either go someplace that knows Birds or do it yourself. Places that know little to nothing about our coaches will end up being a lot more expensive than the bill they hand you.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278