Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 02-17-2010

Default Powertech Generator Coolant leak

I have a Powertech Generator. I have been noticing lately that I am losing coolant someplace (have to keep adding some to the resevoir in the back of the bus), but could not see any leaks (I thought it might be in the Cummins 8.3 hoses somewhere). Yesterday I saw a puddle under the generator in the front, and when I powered it out so I could look, it really started dripping underneath. Not so bad when it is in, but dripping badly when it's out. I crawled under there as best I could and it is dripping from what looks like a coolant hose but there are also what look like wrapped electrical wiring cable tied to the hose so it's a little hard to see). Of course I can't really see where it's coming from and can't get up in there to take it apart.

So here are my questions.

1.Can I assume the coolant in the back also goes through the generator radiator as well (and it doesn't have a separate coolant supply) since I am losing from there (the main coolant supply for the engine)?

2. I am assuming none of these hoses are standad Part numbers from someplace as they must all be made up to fit ? It's a Bluebird, so what else would be the case

3. If it turns out to be a made up hose, are those easy to find if I can get someone to jack this up and get under there and fix it?

4. I believe it would be good to replace all those hoses once under there as I don't think that's ever been done.

5. How does it work for the coolant hoses to "stretch" as the generator goes in and out assuming the hoses come from the back someplace.

6. Is there anything else I'm missing and should worry about?

7. Anyone else done these hoses recently? How big a problem is it if I have someplace do it?

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 02-17-2010

Lee I may be wrong but I think you have two separate issues here.

On my 97 the coolant reservoir in the back is for the Cummins 8.3 only. It has nothing to do with the generator.

The coolant reservoir for my generator is up front on the generator. You have to slide the generator out to get to it. Again on mine, the generator coolant hoses do not stretch/move with the genny slide. The engine is mounted to the slide as is the radiator. They move together. The radiator is mounted on the "back" of the slide.

Not sure this helps and I can take a closer look at mine if you want.

I "suspect" the hoses are Power Tech hoses but I have not noticed or looked at them that hard. I also "suspect" you could find replacements at Napa as they appear to be standard water/coolant hoses.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 02-17-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post

On my 97 the coolant reservoir in the back is for the Cummins 8.3 only. It has nothing to do with the generator.

Hi Brad,

Could it be that the leak is coming from the coolant hose that is running to the heater core? Since the leak is up front and the loss of coolant is in the rear main reservoir, I would suspect that but I know little about the Spartan chassis.

Chuck
Old 02-17-2010

Mine is the same as Brads.

Slide the gen out and start it up. Lay on the ground and watch underneath and see if drip increases.

Next, turn off Gen and start Cummins and see if drip increases. If so, as Chuck mentioned it is likely your front heater core or hoses, or even just a loose clamp.

Also, at rear of Cummins engine, look all aorund your water pump under the serpantine belt. I was loosing coolant from the water pump and replaced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post

The coolant reservoir for my generator is up front on the generator. You have to slide the generator out to get to it. Again on mine, the generator coolant hoses do not stretch/move with the genny slide. The engine is mounted to the slide as is the radiator. They move together. The radiator is mounted on the "back" of the slide.

Not sure this helps and I can take a closer look at mine if you want.

I "suspect" the hoses are Power Tech hoses but I have not noticed or looked at them that hard. I also "suspect" you could find replacements at Napa as they appear to be standard water/coolant hoses.
Old 02-17-2010

Hey Chuck!! Good to meet you and your lovely Bride at "Q". It was a pleasure to camp near you.

Chuck I think you have an excellent point here. I did not think of of a heater leak.

I am afraid Lee is going to have to determine if the coolant is coming from the heater system and or generator. Lee is the coolant level on the coolant tank dropping on the generator? If not, then try to determine where the leak is dripping from.

I think Chuck may be on the right track here.
Old 02-17-2010

More info:

I've never looked for the heater core, but I would start at the front lower cabinets. The backs on these are removable (phillips screws). Pull the back out of the center one, stick your head in and with a flashlight look around. You may see the coolant leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
Mine is the same as Brads.

Slide the gen out and start it up. Lay on the ground and watch underneath and see if drip increases.

Next, turn off Gen and start Cummins and see if drip increases. If so, as Chuck mentioned it is likely your front heater core or hoses, or even just a loose clamp.

Also, at rear of Cummins engine, look all aorund your water pump under the serpantine belt. I was loosing coolant from the water pump and replaced it.
Old 02-17-2010

My experience with coolant leaks inside a vehicle is if they leak inside you get a "sweet" smell of coolant in the air of the heater, defroster on just while running down the road. Could be a heater coolant leak and be outside only.

I would follow Dan's suggestions in post #4 and go from there.
Old 02-17-2010

Default Lower Cabinets

Front lower cabinets? Are you talking about the one with the front fuse panel in it with 2 doors and drawer on top of that? The only other one I have is the one under the rear camera monitor and there is no way I can get my head in that.

The panel on the right in front of the passenger seat opens up but it is a mess of heater hoses going to different places. I got to my windshield washer motor under there but don't recall being able to see the heater core.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 02-17-2010

The 94 must be different than yours. In the 94 the middle lower cabinet under the rear view montior is large and has nothing in it. I have had it open before running wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
Front lower cabinets? Are you talking about the one with the front fuse panel in it with 2 doors and drawer on top of that? The only other one I have is the one under the rear camera monitor and there is no way I can get my head in that.

The panel on the right in front of the passenger seat opens up but it is a mess of heater hoses going to different places. I got to my windshield washer motor under there but don't recall being able to see the heater core.
Old 02-17-2010
cmillsap

Lee,

I believe I would start with the outside underneath first. Think positively that it may be just a loose hose connection or a bad hose going to the chassis heater core. That would not be a major issue........

Chuck