Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Coaches Wanted

Coaches Wanted Looking to buy a particular coach? Place your request here.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Kicking around the idea of going larger.

Yesterday we got back from a 2600 mile trip to Maine and back. The 3208 300HP just goes and goes. It really likes 2200 RPM, which put me right around 64-65mph most of the time. Sure, some of the big hills (like coming into New York on I84 north) slowed us down but not to the point where it was annoying. On the way back home we went from Hartford CT to Statesville NC. 755 miles in one day. Not bad for a "slow" FC and all that while pulling a F150.

This bus works great for us. It looks cool and the size is wonderful for weekend trips- which is the majority of what we do. However, I do wish we had more bay storage and a larger kitchen area. So we've been floating the idea of looking for something with a few more feet. Certainly under 40'. I think a 38' would be about perfect.

The other side of it is that this FC is almost too nice for me. It has original paint. Nice original paint- and I store outside when not in use. We don't get to wash every week. I almost wouldn't mind having something a little more worn and hopefully another caretaker could keep up with her appearances.

So, I'm joining into the hunt for something like a 38' PT. I think my only requirement so far is going to be that its a mid-late 80's chrome bus. And this is a notice that my FC might be for sale soon.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951

Last edited by kg4rrx; 1 Week Ago at 12:55 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Oh my!
VB 1570
Old 1 Week Ago

Chris, we went through the same thing...miss my FC and the Old school looks but loving the big WB. Wish I had the energy and $$ to have two buss's.
It was driving me crazy watching the wear on my FC as we were using it. Going to a WB43 was maybe an over reaction, but it gave Barb the kitchen she wanted and I got the Big shower and head room.
Good luck in your search, a lot of nice buss's on the market.
1997 WB43
1977 FC31 RB Sold

"The tallest guy with the shortest bus acquired a "BIG BUSTA"

<bustadesign@hotmail.com>
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
Oh my!
For the record I blame everyone in Maine with those big beautiful buses.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfins57 View Post
Chris, we went through the same thing...miss my FC and the Old school looks but loving the big WB. Wish I had the energy and $$ to have two buss's.
It was driving me crazy watching the wear on my FC as we were using it. Going to a WB43 was maybe an over reaction, but it gave Barb the kitchen she wanted and I got the Big shower and head room.
Good luck in your search, a lot of nice buss's on the market.
That's the thing that really conflicts within me. 35' is a great length. I'm not afraid to put that bus anywhere. So I'm certainly not looking at anything over 40' long. And I feel like I'd much rather stay with 96" wide over 102. I remind myself that every time I'm driving next to a cement barrier.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4rrx View Post
For the record I blame everyone in Maine with those big beautiful buses.
Must have been that SP parked next to you.
VB 1570
Old 1 Week Ago
BIG MAMA

Chris, we have stepped from an 89 SP (36’) to an M380 now to a 43’ LXI. We have been everywhere with the LXI that the SP went and some more scary. We try to avoid interstates! Never have had a problem. Use your noggin’ and you will be fine. I once heard some BB folks say they had to have another gate opened to get out. I told Jim I think I could have driven out without the “other gate” open. It really depends on how adventurous one is! And you are WAY younger than us. Heck even your Dad does fine!
2001 LXI single slide

04 M 380.......with goat rails SOLD
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
That's the thing that really conflicts within me. 35' is a great length. I'm not afraid to put that bus anywhere. So I'm certainly not looking at anything over 40' long. And I feel like I'd much rather stay with 96" wide over 102. I remind myself that every time I'm driving next to a cement barrier.
Chris
I don’t notice the extra width from PT to M380. I do notice more accurate steering. Better brakes. More gears. More power. Better compression brake. Vastly improved turning radius. With turning radius it actually feels smaller.

Think 3” per side width is made up for easily by more accurate steering.

The M380 is so much more maneuverable and easier to drive. I drove several days about 500 miles across country where I’d have thrown in the towel in the PT. It is much more taxing to drive the older.

I’d also say the M380 is more usable. And more user friendly. Things like auto transfer switch. Better laid out AC electric systems where outlets are wired to run in inverter out of the box. Quieter generator. Better hot water setup for off grid camping. Larger living room with slide is very nice, too. I don't have a bedroom slide, but don't stake great value on that. We don't spend much time except evening to early AM there.

I also have substantially more storage now. And easier to use bay doors and better laid out dumping valves.

I also prefer the sealed belly pan to open compartments underneath. Seems to keep out mice or other pests.

I miss the vintage look and conversations the PT struck up. And the basement air conditioners. But you can’t have it all
Just my $0.02.

Doug
Ex-PT36

Last edited by DW SD; 1 Week Ago at 10:36 AM.
Old 1 Week Ago
tintent

Chris you have a nice bus spend your bucks on a storage building first ,one large enough so you can upgrade in the future .
some advice from someone who didn t do that
buy the way all the guys in the big shiney rigs at Boothbay were looking at yours and were thinking "I had a blast in my FC"
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Yesterday we got back from a 2600 mile trip to Maine and back. The 3208 300HP just goes and goes. It really likes 2200 RPM, which put me right around 64-65mph most of the time. Sure, some of the big hills (like coming into New York on I84 north) slowed us down but not to the point where it was annoying. On the way back home we went from Hartford CT to Statesville NC. 755 miles in one day. Not bad for a "slow" FC and all that while pulling a F150.

This bus works great for us. It looks cool and the size is wonderful for weekend trips- which is the majority of what we do. However, I do wish we had more bay storage and a larger kitchen area. So we've been floating the idea of looking for something with a few more feet. Certainly under 40'. I think a 38' would be about perfect.

The other side of it is that this FC is almost too nice for me. It has original paint. Nice original paint- and I store outside when not in use. We don't get to wash every week. I almost wouldn't mind having something a little more worn and hopefully another caretaker could keep up with her appearances.

So, I'm joining into the hunt for something like a 38' PT. I think my only requirement so far is going to be that its a mid-late 80's chrome bus. And this is a notice that my FC might be for sale soon.

Chris, good luck with your decision. I was second in line for your FC as the PO is right up the thruway from me. Had I not just purchased my PT I would still be interested in yours. Beautiful FC for sure !

1988 PT36
6v92, 72k