Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-17-2016

Default Learn Me the LXI, Water press/110 outlets/Batt Switch/Water heat/breakers

So there are several things I would like to understand better about the LXI

If you can help, please advise.

1. Is there an internal fresh water pressure regulator onboard when I run water hose to fill tank or to leave connected?

2. Do all 110 outlets run on shore power when plugged in, or are some dedicated to the inverters? Or some plugs dedicated to shore power only? (I have older Trace 3000's which I believe are modified Sine Wave, and I wanted to run newer TV's and charge my laptop without damage).

3. What are the functions and how to use the 1, 2, Both and OFF selector switch in the Battery Bay?

4. I get hot water when engines are running or with aqua-hot, but do I have an electric water heater too? If so, where?

5. I read somewhere here that when shore power is connected, the four breakers under the front of master bed are to be in off position.

Any explanations of these so I know how/why they work would be much appreciated!
Old 10-17-2016

I don't have an LXI, but it is close.
1. Yes, it is right inside where you connect the hose to the RV.
2. Yes, all outlets are on shore power when connected to shore power.
3. Don't know, I don't have one.
4. Yes, the aqua hot has an electric element incorporated in it. It will be powered when connected to shore power or the generator on, and the circuit breaker labeled water heater is turned on. On mine, that CB is the only way to turn the electric element off, other than disconnecting the power.
5. Someone else can answer that.

Brian Stephens
'97 PT43
Old 10-17-2016

# 3. That is an inappropriate switch BB used. OFF and BOTH turn off and on the coach (house) batteries, not the chassis (start) batteries. You can see this as there are only two cables connected to the switch. This was a marine switch used to connect two batteries or one or the other, or off. BB should have known better.

To shut off the chassis (start) batteries, you will need to install a separate switch.

# 5. Those are for the inverter circuits and do not have to be turned off.
Old 10-18-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

2. With shore power plugged in, everything runs on shore, inverter/charges are charging the batteries. Start generator (even while plugged in) everything is transferred to generator. Kill both, as in driving down the road, almost everything is transferred to the two inverters. Obviously the, no battery charging, most, do not run airs, and a few other things, but for the most part, everything work well on the inverters and batters are designed to carry the load for 8 hour, including AquaHot with all its pumps and fans.
There is no problem with modern smart TVs and computer. There are very few things that do not work well with modified sine wave inverters. Microware will work, probably not good for it, Most home refrigerator are not very efficient, but again, I have all kinds of electronic and computers that work fine on msw. If you feel you need true sine wave, $6,000 will easily fix you up.

4. I will have to admit, the AquaHot water heat is a little confusing, at least is was to me. The AH is several systems separate system in the box. A boiler/water tank with confined, separate fluid and overflow tank, not connected to the bus engine coolant.
This boiler has two separate heating systems, that are completely separate. There is an electric element, complete with operating thermostat and over heat stat, designed to maintain the temperature of the tank water at 200f. The only control you have over this is the “water heater “ breaker in your electrical box that turn it off or on.
Then there is the Diesel system, Hydronic switch on you dash with a pilot light. When the sw is on and light on, the Webasto burner will come on only if the water temp drops about 20 degrees, under 180f. This is designed this way so camp ground elect will be used first, and it can not maintain the boiler temp, the diesel burner will come on. The elect element is about 5k, the diesel burner is about 50k, so you can see why they are staged this way. And like the elect heat, The diesel burner, is self contained with only two thermostats on the tank, operating and over temp. Again, the two heating system are designed to maintain the water temperature in the tank, Period.
There is a third source of heat for the tank, a pip the circles inside the tank, that carry water from the engine, that transfers heat to the tank when engine is running.
There is another pipe wrapped around the tank, that carries keep fresh water, keeping it separated and safe but heats it from the tank heat, where you get your house hot water.

The heating side of the AH simply consist of three pump that provideboiler water flow to the three zones, Bedroom, bath and the front of the coach. When you turn up the wall thermostat in any of these zones, the pump starts and the fans blow until the wall stat is satisfied.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 10-18-2016
ANOTHER REDNECK

great explanation !!!!!!!!!!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 10-18-2016
full timer

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bluebirds. Regarding the inverter.

There are several things that do not like modified sine wave inverters. Items with an electronic speed control will function with the modified sine wave inverters but will fail eventually. Items with an infinitely adjustable speed controls are the only items that have routinely failed for me when I use them while inverting. Items that have failed for me include adjustable fan products (2 or 3 fixed speeds fans are okay) and my adjustable speed blender didn't like the inverter. My TV and electronics have been fine for 12 years when I run them with the inverter. I no longer will run my microwave with the inverter after blowing a 600 amp (yes Mildred, 600 amps) when running the microwave on the inverter.

One other comment: While BB did provide a water pressure regulator immediately behind the hose connection fitting in your wet bay... I would not trust it. It's a toy. The best thing to do is install an commercial grade water pressure regulator in your incoming water circuit. Alternatively a garden hose water regulator would work fine. Be aware that I have had at least two water fittings fail in the last few years even though I have a water regulator installed. Don't run without a water regulator with an unknown water supply.

Happy trails,

Eric
full timing in my bird since 6/04
Old 12-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
# 3. That is an inappropriate switch BB used. OFF and BOTH turn off and on the coach (house) batteries, not the chassis (start) batteries. You can see this as there are only two cables connected to the switch. This was a marine switch used to connect two batteries or one or the other, or off. BB should have known better.

To shut off the chassis (start) batteries, you will need to install a separate switch.
So
1. What would be the scenario where is this either switched OFF, or left ON. I have had it in either position, and not noticed a difference (if I recall correctly).

Is disconnecting batteries/or a separate "switch" you mentioned the only way to store and prevent battery drain?

2. I wanted to know if I can leave it connected for a few weeks (stored, not running the Gen-Set either) without drawing down the batteries much and then still be able to walk in and start and drive.

Let me know
Old 12-16-2016

I am not saying it is the only way to do the job, but I feel the best way is to install disconnect switches in the negative cables of both battery banks. Make sure that the one on the engine bank is rated for a high cranking load. With both disconnected you should be able to leave it for several weeks with no problems. My LXI had no way to disconnect either bank when I got it.
Old 12-17-2016

OK. Understand.

So, what is the purpose of the OFF / ON selection... I do not recall even seeing a difference in the LXI when switched either way...
Old 12-17-2016

Adam,

BB used a marine switch intended for selection between two batteries. In our application it is used only as on or off for the house (coach) batteries. If you turn it off, and if you add a switch for the start batteries and turn it off, you can store the bus for some time without the heavy parasitic loads running down the batteries. I replaced that one and added a new one with better switches.

If you see no difference when the switch is on or off, it is likely you still have the dash switch ON connecting the engine (chassis) battery bank with the house (coach) battery bank.