Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-05-2017

Default Air Mattress

Is anyone using an air mattress in a PT38? What brand, etc? Yesterday I took out the mattress to get at the alternator...and the wife suggested getting an air mattress. I see prices range from cheap to way high. Help. Thanks!

1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" FOR SALE
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 12-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Is anyone using an air mattress in a PT38? What brand, etc? Yesterday I took out the mattress to get at the alternator...and the wife suggested getting an air mattress. I see prices range from cheap to way high. Help. Thanks!
Curt, I'm going to say this discussion is going to go about like the battery and tire discussions go. Everybody has an opinion, if you know what I mean This is my experience. I have had back troubles since I was 22 or so. Nothing bad enough to go get cut for, but bad enough to lay me up for a couple of days at times. Anyway, Michele and I needed a new mattress. I've had all types including waterbeds over the years and none were a problem that I could tell. Got a Sleep Number bed, with dual controls, since Michele always prefered soft and I was more into firm. I have had it for maybe 8 years and hate it. I have tried every adjustment possible and nothing works and usually wake up several times a night and get up stiff in the morning if I'm lucky. If not, I do the "crab walk" as Michele calls it, for an hour or so, until I get right again. My mattress in the coach is the original and of course no box spring which makes it firm. I sleep great in the coach and wake up fit as a fiddle, with no back issues. What makes it even more weird is the house mattress is King and the coach is Queen, which makes it even more unlikely that I would sleep better, but I do. Just one more reason for me to love getting in the bus and leaving home

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-05-2017

Curt, our coach still has the original dual control air mattress. I'm pretty happy with it. And my wife hasn't complained about it, so I'm extra happy! So much so that we bought one for home. Now she hates the one at home and I think the one at home is just ok. In hind sight we should have bought a very basic no frills at home and put our own topper on it, like the one in the motorhome.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 12-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Not in a PT, but put a RV model Sleep Number in the 380 when we first got it (DW prefers soft & I’m firm - ). The lighter weight was great. However, it’s basically a fancy blow up Coleman with some foam to make you think it’s a real mattress. We both got back aches no matter what the setting and neither would recommend it! Got a nice topper from Costco but not even that helped. Have since replaced it with a foam one and am thinking of going back to a pocketed coil model. These days there are many online outfits that will let you try their products for 100 nights with free shipping & returns if their mattress isn’t exactly what you both want - Tuff & Needle, Casper, Leesa, Helix, Denver, Purple, Layla and Sleep On Latex to name a few... A couple even make dual firmness or custom beds to your specifications but are still returnable for free during their 100 or 120 day trial period should they not work for you. Just be sure to order through the manufacturers web site not Amazon to get their full trial period warranty. Lastly, check out The Sleep Judge for a great overview and evaluations of what’s available out there right now. See you at Q!
Old 12-06-2017
RV Appraiser

This is what we have in the 95 and I really like the ability for adjusting the pressure. But you have to remember to let air out when driving at higher altitudes.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_