Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-02-2011

Default queen mattress question

Wasn't sure where to post this, as our mattress says "Blue Bird" on it, so I assume it was shared w/other BB's.

I'm looking to take out the 3 or 4" of that bumpy foam underlayment that the PO had placed between the engine cover and the mattress, and install a 3-4" memory foam topper. I was really happy w/the memory foam mattress we had in the old FC. But, I want a topper that's exactly the same size as the mattress, NOT 2-3" smaller in both directions, and am willing to purchase a king topper, and trim it.

Does anyone have close access to a BlueBird Queen size mattress that could measure it and give me the exact dimensions? There are some pretty good prices floating around on the internet, but I''ve found that some of the King Size toppers also vary in measurements, w/some being shorter than some of the Queens.

My bus is still in storage 100+ miles from me (and I'm glad, after that April Fool's Snow Storm we had).

Thanks for your help,
Old 04-02-2011

Here is what mine measured. 62 X 80 in.
1983 PT 35 (sold)
2011 Honda CRV Toad
Ed, Nina and Abbi
Old 04-02-2011

Default Mattress size

The side isle mattress in our 91 WB40 is 58” X 78”, Select Comfort.
Old 04-02-2011

A queen matress is 60"X80", but many of them are actually 59"X 79" ( the one that I installed after I did the bedroom was this size). You can get short queen matresses that are 60" X 76" that are often used in RVs.
All this to say that there are many sizes of queen matresses.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 04-02-2011

Thanks Ed and John. Peter, you make the point exactly. I was hoping that someone out there would have BMC that still has an original BB mattress. If nobody comes up w/one, I guess I'll wait another 2 or 3 weeks to find out the exact length of what I've got. A king mattress will always have enough width, but "may" not have enough length.

Thanks so far folks....
Old 04-02-2011

Mine is not original, and I'm not sure a BMC 37' and a BMC 40' had the same size. Original and current is the short queen size, 60" * 76", and the original had rounded corners at the foot of the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletop View Post
Thanks Ed and John. Peter, you make the point exactly. I was hoping that someone out there would have BMC that still has an original BB mattress. If nobody comes up w/one, I guess I'll wait another 2 or 3 weeks to find out the exact length of what I've got. A king mattress will always have enough width, but "may" not have enough length.

Thanks so far folks....
Old 04-03-2011

FWIW, We bought the Queen size memory foam topper for our mattress at Costco and love it!! Would not leave home with out it. Sam's Club also carried a topper at the time.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 04-04-2011
Former Bird Owner

I put a 4" memory foam Queen size topper on my original BB mattress. The mattress was smaller than the standard 60 x 80 for a Queen. As I recall, the topper was at least 4" longer than the mattress. (That would put the BB mattress at 60 x 76 in my coach.)

Obviously, BB could have changed the mattress size from time to time or for different model coaches.

The topper I had was slightly wide for the mattress -- but I'd measured the mattress at the standard 60" wide. The rounded foot-end corners of the mattress required trimming the topper (as well as the length). I left the topper a couple inches longer (and it was already slightly wider) than the mattress.

The topper had a tendency to "crawl", down (toward the foot) and to one side, due to the interaction between the foam and nap of the fabric ticking on the mattress. (I'd pull it back when we changed the sheets.)

I was quite happy with the topper. Cutting it, however, was somewhat of a pain as it cuts easiest when significantly compressed. I've heard that electric carving knives are very good at cutting foam padding. Wish I'd had one.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-04-2011

Thanks everyone for your replies.My goal is to get one larger, then trim it to fit. Pete, now that you mention it, I heard that about the electric carving knives as well, and will try to scrounge one before I order it.

There's one source on Ebay that states the lengths of the 3" to be a full 80", w/the king at $104 and the queen at $69 w/free shipping. The queen is also supposed to be the full 60" width, which should cover me if the mattress is slightly undersized. I'd like to save the $35, but don't want to order 2!!!

Guess we'll talk it over and decide. Thanks again
Old 04-04-2011

Default BMC 37 Mattress

I have a BMC that I believe has the original mattress. Best I can tell measuring it on the bed it is 79x61 and the bottom corners are rounded (makes it a little hard to measure as we also have a 4 inch memory foam topper as well).

Hopes this helps

Best,

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117