Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 12-21-2007
Forum owner

Default traveling with pets

give us your tips on traveling with pets.
Randy
Old 01-02-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Road Trip Tips for Travel With the Dog

Packing up the dog for the trip to Grandma's? Here are some ideas for stress-free travel with your pet from 4everPets(R), makers of natural nutrition products for dogs and cats.

Crate expectations: Whether traveling by air or car, a familiar crate will relax your dog. Never put a leash in the crate, as your pet could get tangled in it.

Hello gorgeous: Brushing your dog and clipping its nails before you leave will make traveling more comfortable.

Make a list: Bring water, your dog's favorite food, bedding, toy and dishes, pet first-aid kit and old sheets to cover car seats and furniture.

Check it twice: Identify your dog with a current tag or microchip. Carry current health and rabies certificates and a recent photo.

Stair hazard: Did you know that a dog's claws and fur can get caught in escalators? Pick up or crate your dog, or take the elevator.

No tranquilizers: The ASPCA advises not to use sedatives, because they interfere with balance and can hamper breathing. Instead, use Missing You to relax your dog without dizziness or drowsiness.

Chow time: Traveling by car? Feed a light meal three or four hours before you leave. Never feed a dog in a moving car. Dogs should fly on an empty stomach.

Open wide: Do a health check every day you're away from home, says the American Veterinary Medical Association. Look for runny nose and eyes, scratching or biting, lumps, limping or loss of appetite. Check any concerns with a local veterinarian.

Copied from http://www.roamingtimes.com/a/articl...-with-dogs.asp
Old 01-02-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Emergency read this message to carry with you.

I have traveled with pets for almost the past 30 years or so, it is hard to remember when I didn't have a four legged companion along with me in my business and pleasure travels. It wasn't until recently that I started to do more than just put ID tags on them and luckily the only time that a pet got lost was one of my current pets Buddy, about a month after I rescued him out of a animal shelter in Rock island, Ill and it was a very gracious rescuers that found him in the middle of a busy street after he had escaped from my Dad's care. The rescuers read my phone number on his collar and called me and we made arrangements to meet after they got through shopping, they took Buddy with them and then brought him back and refused any kind of compensation for their efforts.

Now Buddy like to really travel, almost to an extreeme......

Now I like to go off and ride my motorcycle and while Buddy normally goes with me if I take the car, he doesn't like the motorcycle and I don't like to take him where I would have to leave him in the car by himself if it is too hot, so he and his new companion Cally Cat stay in the 'Bird with the AC's going to keep them cool. I know that there is the chance that I could be involved in an accident, or have a health problem, so I carry a "IN AN EMERGENCY READ THIS" message that gives information on exactly where to find my 'Bird, which I full time in and also that the two "KIDS" of mine are in there. I always update it whenever I move the 'Bird to a new spot to park it.

I have attached a PDF file of what it looks like and when it is folded up and placed in my billfold, the front that is first seen is the IN AN EMERGENCY READ THIS, with the two photos of Buddy and Cally showing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IN AN EMERGENCY READ THIS.pdf (215.4 KB, 188 views)

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-02-2008
Forum owner

we took our old german shepard to Blairs rally a few years ago,from Fl to Oregon.
he was old and clumsy,he could not lie on the couch and he didnt like laying on the floor.
it took us a few days to make the couch into a bed so he had plenty of room to strech out and he could look out of the windows too. he was very happy!
most of the time the dogs stay home when we travel.
Randy
Old 01-14-2008

We have two housecats that are gradually getting used to traveling:

Coyote, a/k/a Little Skanky:

And Greyness, a/k/a Moose the 30 lb. Manx:

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 03-03-2008

I think each animal is different, just like us humans. Some are great travelers and others, well they may want to stay home. My dog Squirt is a seasoned traveler. She started going with me in my car when I went to work and she just lies in her bed or on the rear deck, depending on the temps. that day. I never leash her, which I hope I won't regret someday, but she has never given me any reason to. We stop to let her potty and she will walk around, never straying. If I lose sight of her, around a bush or tree, I whistle and she comes running. She started going on RV trips and loves it. I can't even go out to clean or do something in the Bird, without her running and jumping inside. She immediately jumps up on the dash, where I have a mat for her to lie on. Squirt loves to ride the Harley too! I get the biggest kicks out of people pointing at us, smiling, thumbs up, and so on, as we ride down the road. Now my girlfriend has a dog the same age as mine and he just now got used to riding in a car. Used to get car sick all the time. He was kind of forced into it because if you run around with me you are going to be moving one way or another, car, Harley, Bird, or on foot. We haven't tested him in the Bird yet. We will be heading out on his maiden voyage in about a month. It should be interesting. All the tips I read, given by others are all good ideas. We all love our pets and only want what is best for them.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-03-2008

Both cats used to hide when the 'bird was in motion. In fact, as soon as the engine started you used to see terror in their eyes and they went into hiding, usually underneath the couch.

A few weeks ago I noticed that Coyote was not as panicked as usual and was actually sitting on the sofa. Now she has graduated to sitting on the dash and watching as we drive down the street:

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 08-13-2009

Default Sad story: hot coach=dead dog (not ours).

This is a sad story...but could happen to many of us if the wrong conditions stack up. Let me explain our practices which may help others, or generate some good discussion/ideas on this point, which is to provide a "cooling safety net" for your dog. I learned this option from another RV'r years ago...so this is not a new idea, but I thought I would post it to perhaps avoid any other loss.

Camping this past weekend in VA. where it got to the upper 90's and high humidity our campground must have had a power failure or a fuse popped...but in brief, power was out for a while in the afternoon. A dog was left in a motorhome, AC on, all windows and blinds closed. Unfortunately, with no line power and no AC, the temps rose to the level that caused the dog to apparently die of heat exhaustion. The dog owners were understandably devastated by their loss.

Our dog was in our motorhome, power out also so no AC, and was OK. What saved our dog is what I call our "cooling safety net". Our coach has a temp controlled high volume Kool-a-matic exhaust fan (i would think any high volume temp controlled fan would also work well for this such as a Fantastic Fan).

When leaving the dog on most cool to moderate days we set the Kool-a-matic to run via the thermostat. With one or two smaller windows open, the air flow keeps the inside very comfortable. As we use smaller windows and the coach is alarmed, we do not worry about unlawful entry/theft via the windows.

On those days where the AC is needed due to high temps we set up the AC unit(s) to cool the coach interior - depending on power availability this can be via line/shore power or by running the gen. But like the incident related above, what if the power or gen fails? Our "cooling safety net" is that we set the Kool-a-matic up to turn on at around 85 degrees, with a window open on the cool (non sunny) side of the bus (and away from gen if it is in use). One window open a few inches does not effect the AC much...but if power or AC fails, once the temps rise above the fan setting, the fan activates and moves air through the bus. In the temp range we normally camp in, this will provide a survivable environment for a dog with water available.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 08-13-2009
Forum Moderator

Thanks Frank. Great reminder.
Old 08-13-2009

Does anybody know of removeavble screens that could be temporalily put in place and then easily (relatively) removed? We travel with 2 pooches, but none of our smaller windows have screens- they're only the driver's and passenger's front windows. That's really good idea, but I need something to help keep out the bugs. We've already got the fan.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support