Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!!

!!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! Listed here you will find the MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS that we feel should be performed on your 'Bird. (ONLY ADMINISTRATORS CAN POST HERE)

Site Search:

Old 11-15-2012

I have developed an intense appreciation for the way these things are built. They deserve to be pampered. Sure, it takes a nut with too much time on his hands, but most of the ...stuff... you buy today isn't built anything like this.

An acquaintance who has an old sob stopped by yesterday talking about his dream coach, a 2000 Newmar. Well, each to his own, I guess. Maybe you just have to work on one of these things in order to really appreciate what they are. So get out there guys, and polish up your prize. Might have to retire first.

By the way, don't completely retire, or you, too, will be doing this.
Old 11-15-2012

Ron, good post - thanks for the pics. I just read your information and I'm going to check mine tomorrow when its its daylight.

BTW, what did you do to clean your genny up so good? I'm fully retired now and I'm coming down with that "bug" and want to clean my genny. Additionally, what is the brand/website for that washless cleaning fluid you use?
Old 11-15-2012

Ha ha ha ha. Funny.

It actually was pretty good when I got it four years ago. I just touched it up a bit and wipe it now and then.

I think you might be referring to Busch's waterless cleaner wax, which is just a high quality wax like all the others. I would never wipe a gritty coach without water. I don't care what they claim. Marketeers are not honest.
Old 11-15-2012
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Sure, it takes a nut with too much time on his hands...
I definitely qualify!

Seriously, I couldn't agree more Ron. These things are very special in the way they're built. Sometimes one might look at a particular doodad or contraption and scratch one's head wondering why in the world would BB do it that way. Lo and behold, BB's way is steeped in evolution, real world tested, and grounded in science. Whoa to those who 'improve' on BB's design principles without first grasping the true nature of the problem. A word to the wise, if in doubt put it back to stock.
Old 11-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Michael, here are two pictures I took for you, one of the clamps next to the terminals, and a side shot showing how the cables roll as the generator tray goes in and out.

TO ALL, if your clamps have disappeared over the years, get them back on. Those are the only things keeping you from an eventual dead short as Michael had. Mechanics twice left them off in coaches I have looked at, and the cables were routed wrong on one of them, making a fatiguing action at the terminals. I can't stress (pun) how important those clamps are.
WOW! You are amazing! It will take me years to have her looking as good as you have yours. Nice!

These pictures help me a lot. Now I see exactly how they should be mounted and routed. Thank you so much for taking the time to take the pictures. I'll take them to the shop and show the mechanic what he needs to do.

Thanks again,
Michael
Sarasota, FL
michael@mcmillan.org
1991 40' WLWB "Priscilla"

Old 11-16-2012

Michael:

Thanks for your timely post and Ron, thanks for your pictures.

I checked mine today and the clamps were there and the hoses/wires, "rolled" in and out as the genny was extended and retracted, like they are supposed to do.

I hope everybody will take a few minutes to do a check on their genny slides.