Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-26-2013

Default Lower Breaker Panel location 87 FC35

Where is the lower breaker panel in a 87fc35 and where is the directional solenoid ?
TIA
Old 07-26-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Where is the lower breaker panel in a 87fc35 and where is the directional solenoid ?
TIA
I'll try to address the directional solenoid, on my 82FC35RB model I have a turn signal FLASHER that activates SOLENIDS for the right side and the left side of the bus.

Finding the flasher unit is almost like playing the game Where's Waldo, Blue Bird seemed to put them all over our coaches. On mine it is located in the front overhead compartment above the windshield, here are a few other posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I had to use a LED specific turn signal flasher, that I purchased through Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Signal-Flasher-Switch-Electronic/dp/B004O1YTLW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368660757&sr=8-1&keywords=led+turn+signal+flasher

On my '82FC35RB the flasher is located in the front overhead compartment above the windshield on the left side, I had to stick my head inside the compartment in order to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
On our 83, pretty sure flasher unit is an aluminum box roughly 2" x 2"x 3". It is mounted above and to the engine side of the accelerator pedal. If you have not done it, check the emergency flasher switch on the column. This could be in a position that will lock the the directional signal up. Also, the retarder control (if you have one) is tied into the brake light circuit and if this is on a weird combination along with the flasher could possibly be the cause.

NH Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
Bills advice covers a few possible causes.

To show how models change on our '85 the flasher is a standard round flasher which is surface mounted underneath the lower dash, just left of steering wheel.

So from 83-85 seems BB did it different?
As far as the turn signal SOLENOID mine is also located in the front overhead compartment, it is a large solenoid similar to the many other solenoid in my bus, this is the one that I can hear when either the turn signals or the 4 way Hazard flashers are activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
KC,

I used a no load LED Flasher that has a built in load, just R&R the flasher, and maybe like on mine you will have to attach a ground wire that is coming from the flasher itself, it works great with both the 'Bird and trailers 11 LED turn signals per side (R&L) working off of it*.

I just ordered another one for a spare http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EF32RL-Electronic-2-pin-Turn-Signal-Flasher-LED-Compat-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19ba86e065QQitemZ11050 3583845QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

*My no load LED Flasher activates one of the White-Rogers solenoids for the turn signals.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 07-26-2013

I found my flasher(above drivers left knee) and replaced it with a eletronic version. I didn't think it would help but it was worth a shot.

Now I'm looking for the solenoid, my wiring schematic says its in the lower breaker panel. This is all related to my right turn signal not flashing, another thread I started.
Old 07-26-2013

On the drivers side above the bank of storage batteries, look way high up, you will see several self-resetting breakers. This may be the breaker panel you are looking for. Each breaker is labeled...a bright light source may help to read the labels.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 07-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post
On the drivers side above the bank of storage batteries, look way high up, you will see several self-resetting breakers. This may be the breaker panel you are looking for. Each breaker is labeled...a bright light source may help to read the labels.

I am looking for the solenoid, John was talking about. Here are some photos of under the driver and the relays and one solenoid.

The relays i'm talking about are in the group of five, counting from the right number 2 and 3. The relay with the red wires goes to the left signal, the blue wires are the right. I can get the right to flash if I remove it from the right turn signal relay and put it on the left turn signal relay, so I would think everything is good from the front to the back and its something with the relay. I replaced and swapped the relay and no change.

Any ideas ?

The relay is getting power but not switching, what should I test or check? I was looking for the source of the yellow wire which I think should be a solenoid ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	over driver.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	23900   Click image for larger version

Name:	under driver.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	23901  
Old 07-27-2013

Correction. After looking at picture #2, I see that is just a bus bar. Any idea what the 30 amp Bosch relay on the far right controls?

Quote:
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 07-27-2013

Kiki, have you looked at the 12V load center at the extreme rear of the coach, behind the big door over the bed. Some of the later FC had the relay mod to control the tail lights. Just guessing....
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 07-27-2013
Administrator

just a quick post,
glass fuses below your right knee in driver seat, & silver aluminum boxes behind the grill & driver headlights, forward of the foot pedals house the turnsignal relays.
Old 07-27-2013

Quote:
Kiki, have you looked at the 12V load center at the extreme rear of the coach, behind the big door over the bed. Some of the later FC had the relay mod to control the tail lights. Just guessing....

Thanks for the help I will take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
just a quick post,
glass fuses below your right knee in driver seat, & silver aluminum boxes behind the grill & driver headlights, forward of the foot pedals house the turnsignal relays.
The fuse is ok, I will check those silver boxes. Thanks Bill.

What do you use to seal up the cover over the headlight, and where can you get a rubber gasket for the grill ?